Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens and AD Far Apart On Deal

Give me 1 good reason why Ray Lewis in 2007 is more important to retain than AD in 2007, especially if he's complaining about his contract yet again?

It may not be as far fetched as you think.

AD = product of the system just as Jamie Sharper, Anthony Weaver, ED Hartwell M Douglas etc.... This means that giving him the Franchise tag is overpaying IMHO. But, due to him being a solid player, good guy etc...we should give him a solid 3 year deal
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Give me 1 good reason why Ray Lewis in 2007 is more important to retain than AD in 2007, especially if he's complaining about his contract yet again?

It is called the salary cap. Why don't you just read this thread. http://www.ravens24x7.com/column_vie...0&view=archive

AD won't be back and, for the last time, we are not trading Ray Lewis, so stop talking about it.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Nice article...looks like we are hoping for JO to retire, cut Ray and Rolle, redo Suggs deal and maybe have enough to redo AD...and draft well...then no problems
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

RN said:
    Nice article...looks like we are hoping for JO to retire, cut Ray and Rolle, redo Suggs deal and maybe have enough to redo AD...and draft well...then no problems

Hmmmm...is that all we need to do to keep AD? AD will get the franchise tag before he leaves here. And don't feel sorry for him b/c it will be a MEGA raise.
    in salary.
    FM

i don't think you realize how close we came to doing it last off season. Furthermore, I don't think you realize how willing we'd be to do it THIS offseason if he is quibbling about his contract AND we have bigger fish to fry (AD).

It's one thing last year when really we didn't have any major FAs. Weaver and Kemo were OK players, nothing special. Everything we do on defense revolves around AD. Our window stays open with him here, much more than it does with Ray Lewis.

History is history. But if it comes down to it it's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    Then how do you pay Terrell Suggs next year?

Drew made some good points this morning on his show on WNST. In addition to thinking that the Ravens will NOT tag AD, he stated:

1. After flaming my tag and trade idea this morning, he stated that doing something like that to AD would be in poor taste. (After thinking about his point, he is probably right, but I am shrewd like that).

2. Drew still maintained that the Ravens probably view AD as a Ed Hartwell type player: very good, but not great. Drew said the team would never publicly say that, but they probably think it.
    Well...if Drew said that then it MUST be true. Basically you just said "some random guy thinks that this is probably what people who he doesn't work with are saying, but they might not be saying it, it's just what he thinks they're saying."

AD is a system player. And our defense is a system based around AD. They go hand in hand.

Yes, he'd be half as effective elsewhere, in my opinion. But our defense would see a huge drop off without him here.

I'd keep him over Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs.

Ppphh.

Mike Preston writes a little blog and all of a sudden it's gospel?

Who said Ray is bitching about his contract? And Preston's tone shows an obvious agenda. Kinda like your's. Just because Ray isn't 1996-2003 Ray doesn't mean he's not valuable to this team.

Last interview I saw with him he was positive about last season and eager to get back on the field in 2007 as a Raven.

He's not getting dealt.

I don't think you realize that most of the shit last year was just that, shit. The ONLY place I read about Ray being traded was Preston's column. In fact, I'd say it was less likely to happen than alot of people think.

PP

i don't think you realize how close we came to doing it last off season. Furthermore, I don't think you realize how willing we'd be to do it THIS offseason if he is quibbling about his contract AND we have bigger fish to fry (AD).

It's one thing last year when really we didn't have any major FAs. Weaver and Kemo were OK players, nothing special. Everything we do on defense revolves around AD. Our window stays open with him here, much more than it does with Ray Lewis.

History is history. But if it comes down to it it's a no brainer.

Exactly how do you know how close the Ravens came to trading/cutting/etc Ray Lewis last year? I am assuming this is your personal opinion.

You know, I wonder if you watch our defense. Our defense is built around the LBs in general, not just AD. You don't build a defense around your SAM LB. In fact, originally in offseason 2004 when Rex first started revealing our defense, he stated that Ray Lewis would be the focal point, and he still is. Our LBs as a unit, need to be playing in sync, and the MLB is the most important piece of any position, because they have responsiblities on gaps in-between the tackles, as well as scraping to the outside to clean up, or fill running lanes that open. I assume you watched the Indy game and this whole year, and frankly, I am surprised you are so quick to want to let Ray go, or trade him. Ray was all over the field, and he had a very good year.

I think some people believe replacing Ray Lewis is as easy as plugging in some other player. What happened when Ray was out for the Titans game? We had no one that could step up and play like he did, because not many players can just come into our defense and play it. Ray knows the system, and he's the unquestioned leader of it.

The other thing is, our window is based on Ray and JO, as they are our two best players in franchise history, and on the twilights of their careers, although both are still playing well. The window is about them. Ray Lewis is the face of this team, and he'll remain a Raven.

It seems everytime there is an article about Ray, people come out of the woodwork with the pitchforks ready to burn him at the stake. Really, not many people take shit from Preston seriously, unless is about Ray Lewis.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for Dave to show up for another addition of "bashing-key-players-101".

AD is a system player. And our defense is a system based around AD. They go hand in hand.

Yes, he'd be half as effective elsewhere, in my opinion. But our defense would see a huge drop off without him here.

What do you mean by a "huge-drop-off"? Where is our defensive line going? Isn't the defensive line the main culprit responsible for stopping the opposing team's running games, and eating up blockers, so players like Ray, AD, and Scott can succeed?

Again, this defense was not "built" around AD. It is a system made so tweeners like AD can thrive, but it's not built around AD. It's build around responsiblities, and each player doing their parts. It's not one star running the show like you believe.

After the keeping AD over Ray/Suggs comment, I'm taking you a little less seriously. AD is 30 okay. AD is going to get a large contract. Ray has his contract and wants to change it. Suggs is 27. You'd rather have a 30 year old player, over Ray and Suggs?
    Last edited by copenhaggard; 01-25-2007 at 04:44 PM.
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...

our defense THRIVES on versatility and disguises...this is all made much easier with AD in there...he's more than a sam LB, period.

Meanwhile, Ray Lewis, while a great player, IS only a mike LB.

Well...if Drew said that then it MUST be true. Basically you just said "some random guy thinks that this is probably what people who he doesn't work with are saying, but they might not be saying it, it's just what he thinks they're saying."

You are entitled to your opinion, but the fact is that we are not going to keep AD at the expense of Ray and Suggs, so you can stop saying that over and over and over.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

our defense THRIVES on versatility and disguises...this is all made much easier with AD in there...he's more than a sam LB, period.

Meanwhile, Ray Lewis, while a great player, IS only a mike LB.
    Again, you're makin our defense sound like AD is the running the show. All of our LBs and certain players on our DLINE are all versatile. They do a lot of the same things as AD.

He is one player. You're insulting the rest of our defense in saying that there is going to be a "huge drop-off" if AD leaves. You mean to tell me that if AD leaves, Rex Ryan is going to shit the bed, and make bad gameplans because AD isn't here anymore? He'll adjust as the rest of our defense. The point is, I'd hate to see AD leave, but with the FA market out there, it doesn't seem like affording him is going to be as easy as trading Ray and not signing Suggs next year.
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...