Reason #5,632 why Preston is an idiot

I was glancing through the Ravens special Sports section in the Sun, and came across the page where all the media members predict the NFL season, from Super Bowl winner to individual award winners.

I see that Mikey has picked the NFL Coach of the Year to be none other than Jim Mora of the Seattle Seahawks. Interesting pick. What made no sense is that he has the Seahawks neither winning the division, or going to the playoffs.

Sooooooo, the NFL Coach of the Year doesn't even make the playoffs

The AP coach of the year dates back to the late 50's. I checked the last 12 years, and no coach has won this award and not made the playoffs.

Great pick Mikey!

Re: Reason #5,632 why Preston is an idiot

Only 5,632? I would think that number is at least 5 figures by now!

Interesting point, though. How can someone be coach of the year and not make the playoffs? I mean, even I can coach a team to a non-playoff season. That's no accomplishment!

It's a tough division though lol.

You may need to add some zero's behind the title I'm still on the fence about Preston cause oddly enough I really never paid much attention to him or maybe it's the Baltimore Sun as a whole. I'm too young I guess and IMO the internet is way more interesting than the local paper.

Good catch.

He's bad but so are so many other columnists and experts.

I was forced to listen to ESPN radio yesterday because my sirius antenna is broken. The two idiot Mikes had Danny Sheridan (USA oddsmaker) on to talk about the season. He repeatedly said how he couldn't understand how the Steelers, being champions, got to play teams like Detroit, KC, and Oakland this season. He kept saying how he thought the champs played the toughest schedule.

Of course, most any fan knows that the all but 2 opponents on each team's schedule have been set for years and it's a cycle through divisions. Neither Mike mentioned that and just agreed and went on.

It's simply amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Good catch.

He's bad but so are so many other columnists and experts.

I was forced to listen to ESPN radio yesterday because my sirius antenna is broken. The two idiot Mikes had Danny Sheridan (USA oddsmaker) on to talk about the season. He repeatedly said how he couldn't understand how the Steelers, being champions, got to play teams like Detroit, KC, and Oakland this season. He kept saying how he thought the champs played the toughest schedule.

Of course, most any fan knows that the all but 2 opponents on each team's schedule have been set for years and it's a cycle through divisions. Neither Mike mentioned that and just agreed and went on.

It's simply amazing.
    Purplepoe,

I agree with everything you said. Those idiots should've set the record straight regarding the scheduling.

That being said, I do believe that perhaps the NFL should look into tweaking its schedule format a bit, just to avoid this exact problem in SB champs getting soft teams on their schedule. It should be a challenge to repeat as champions, and a team should be forced to prove it by playing the toughest schedule in the league. How to go about doing that is left up for debate though.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    I was glancing through the Ravens special Sports section in the Sun, and came across the page where all the media members predict the NFL season, from Super Bowl winner to individual award winners.

I see that Mikey has picked the NFL Coach of the Year to be none other than Jim Mora of the Seattle Seahawks. Interesting pick. What made no sense is that he has the Seahawks neither winning the division, or going to the playoffs.

Sooooooo, the NFL Coach of the Year doesn't even make the playoffs

The AP coach of the year dates back to the late 50's. I checked the last 12 years, and no coach has won this award and not made the playoffs.

Great pick Mikey!

I think Mike is one of the more insightful analysts out there (at least in our area). Are you going to agree with everything he writes, or even a majority, probably not, but I am not sure why so many people hate him or at least take time out of their day to write something negative in the hopes that other people will dislike him as well. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this just doesn't seem productive.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    but I am not sure why so many people hate him
    Hang around here for the season and the evidence will soon be forthcoming.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Purplepoe,

I agree with everything you said. Those idiots should've set the record straight regarding the scheduling.

That being said, I do believe that perhaps the NFL should look into tweaking its schedule format a bit, just to avoid this exact problem in SB champs getting soft teams on their schedule. It should be a challenge to repeat as champions, and a team should be forced to prove it by playing the toughest schedule in the league. How to go about doing that is left up for debate though.
    Impossible to do.

Nobody knows what teams are going to look like year to year.
    There are too many variables that dictate what a team will look like.

Every year teams that are predicted to be great end up being crap, and visa versa.
    I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody that predicted the Cardinals would be in the Superbowl last year.

I got to think that maybe Jerry Jones was thinking twice about picking us to be his pansy last year.

Injurys also play a part in what teams look like.
    Teams missing key players can be much easier to play then previously thought prior to those injurys.

The only way to do something like that would be to flex the schedule of who you play throughout the season which simply can't be done.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Impossible to do.

Nobody knows what teams are going to look like year to year.
    There are too many variables that dictate what a team will look like.

Every year teams that are predicted to be great end up being crap, and visa versa.
    I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody that predicted the Cardinals would be in the Superbowl last year.

I got to think that maybe Jerry Jones was thinking twice about picking us to be his pansy last year.

Injurys also play a part in what teams look like.
    Teams missing key players can be much easier to play then previously thought prior to those injurys.

The only way to do something like that would be to flex the schedule of who you play throughout the season which simply can't be done.
    Yeah it's not the fault of the NFL that the teams that were given on the schedule do not know how to make a team competitive. We will one year get this apparent cake walk schedule, but most of us in here know that no year is a given and names alone dont make a team great or horrible. That's why they play the games. There is a surprise team, players, and wins every year.

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    I think Mike is one of the more insightful analysts out there (at least in our area). Are you going to agree with everything he writes, or even a majority, probably not, but I am not sure why so many people hate him or at least take time out of their day to write something negative in the hopes that other people will dislike him as well. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this just doesn't seem productive.
    So if he predicts that space aliens are going to come down, put together a football team and win the Super Bowl, we're not supposed to mock the absurdity of that prediction?

I'll call Preston out on all of the stupid stuff he says, which is pretty easy to do because it happens with such frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    So if he predicts that space aliens are going to come down, put together a football team and win the Super Bowl, we're not supposed to mock the absurdity of that prediction?

I'll call Preston out on all of the stupid stuff he says, which is pretty easy to do because it happens with such frequency.
    Sounds like a plan.