Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OT- Cal Carried Away

That is not true at all.

Poe moved to Baltimore in 1829, then after a brief stint at west point moved back to Baltimore to live with Maria Clemm in 1832.

He published a lot of work while in baltimore as well as quite a few that went directly to The Baltimore Saturday Visitor.

Yes he eventually moved back to Richmond before returning to die later.

The difference to me is that Poe chose to live in Baltimore for a time and did great things while living here.

I do not really consider being born and leaving a city as accomplishments. Those are the only "great?" things Ruth did that had anything to do with Baltimore.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Sorry guys that I haven't been able to post the past 12 hours or so. I have been down at Cental trying to rasie bail money. You see, me and my boise or is that boyzz lifting an aluminum #8 from the yard last night. I know, I know, you all all thinking...why?

I am a huge Derrick Mason fan and wanted his numbers in my basement. The 8 was only the first half of the plan...if all went well...Brooksie (5) was next on the hit list.

My cousin kept telling me that a box truck would be better but being the cheap ass that I am, I just used dad's old Ford. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Anyway, I'll be back bigger and better than ever. Just between us but those Holicust slate blocks at War Memorial Plaza as so mine.

Be safe take care and I'll be writing again in 3 to 5.

Signed,

Derrick Mason fan

I do not really consider being born and leaving a city as accomplishments. Those are the only "great?" things Ruth did that had anything to do with Baltimore.
    I look at it like someone left Baltimore and did something great and the people of Baltimore acknowledge it. Whats the harm in celebrating one of your own.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    I look at it like someone left Baltimore and did something great and the people of Baltimore acknowledge it. Whats the harm in celebrating one of your own.
    That is certainly the other side of the argument. I understand the point.

If we are going to put up a statue, why not one of the many O's greats?

Should we put up a Statue of Texierra if he makes the HOF?
    Last edited by pyite32; 09-09-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: blah blah
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

It is awesome to me that none of them apparently thought to bring along a tarp.

One or more of these guys will be future Darwin Award winners...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It is amazing such a well thought out theft didn't pan out.
    Thanks for the chuckle.

7. Re: OT- Cal Carried Away

Wrong thread....oooops

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    Should we put up a Statue of Texierra if he makes the HOF?
    You can't compare Ruth and Teixeira in the same breath. Ruth is a legend and an American icon. The city makes a great deal of money and attracts a lot of tourism from the Babe Ruth Museum and birthplace. The statue at Camden Yards is of a young Ruth as a minor leaguer to honor his Baltimore heritage. Sorry if you can't appreciate it. Hell, Baltimore didn't even have a major league team at the time Ruth played. It's not like he spurned his hometown to sign a lucrative contract with a rival team and then claimed to be a fan of that team all along like some players who shall remain nameless (ahem, Tex, ahem).

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    You can't compare Ruth and Teixeira in the same breath. Ruth is a legend and an American icon. The city makes a great deal of money and attracts a lot of tourism from the Babe Ruth Museum and birthplace. The statue at Camden Yards is of a young Ruth as a minor leaguer to honor his Baltimore heritage. Sorry if you can't appreciate it. Hell, Baltimore didn't even have a major league team at the time Ruth played. It's not like he spurned his hometown to sign a lucrative contract with a rival team and then claimed to be a fan of that team all along like some players who shall remain nameless (ahem, Tex, ahem).
    I don't a problem with Ruth or the museum (or The Goddess strip club which his father used to own). I have a problem with the statue of a Yankee outside ORIOLE Park.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Ravens View Post
    I don't a problem with Ruth or the museum (or The Goddess strip club which his father used to own). I have a problem with the statue of a Yankee outside ORIOLE Park.
    :read

The statue at Camden Yards is of a young Ruth as a minor leaguer to honor his Baltimore heritage. Sorry if you can't appreciate it. Hell, Baltimore didn't even have a major league team at the time Ruth played.

I think the Babe Ruth statue is kind of lame too. I don't think anyone outside of Baltimore associates him with this city. If Ray Lewis was born in Pittsburgh do you think they'd build a statue in front of Heinz Field?

People, people. We are missing the true trajedy of the Ruth statue here. The Babe, like most great Americans, was a southpaw. The sculptor was unaware of this and the damn thing has the glove on the wrong hand. An insult to us lefties everywhere.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!