Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Ray Wants Contract Extension

yeah i'm sure Ray Lewis is saying "Let me make less money to lower the cap number so we can re-sign AD"

when a year ago he wanted to be the highest paid player in the league...

he's past his prime...a top 10 MLB but no where near as integral to the success of our defense as AD...that doesn't discredit what he does...he's still a damn good player...but he's not doing this for the best of the team, and i'm all for trading him while he still has some (prob 3rd round) value.

It's not a matter of him "agreeing to make less money". For him, it's about getting money now.

If Ray suffers another serious injury during training camp, the team could release him with an injury settlement and not pay him much of anything. He has no security against such a move because his contract doesn't make it less appealing to let him go. He may have two years left with high numbers, but those numbers mean nothing if the team gets rid of him. There's no guarantee. If he gets an extension, he gets money right now in the form of a signing bonus. That would be the incentive for him.

He doesn't strike me as incompetent; it would be ludicrous for him to expect a contract that would make him among the highest-paid in the game. He already had one of those, and basically they only happen once. If that's what he's asking for, then we can let him play out his deal and see if he becomes more reasonable as his value declines with age, or we can suck it up, release him, and move on. But if we can get him to agree to an extension that matches his value now (as opposed to his value five years ago), then we should get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    Keep the contract as is. A deal is a deal. I am sick and tired of all these players and coaches trying to get out of contracts which are legally binding documents.

I would never amend any contract for a player, no matter how much he needed the money.
    Hmmmm, Why does this not surprise me? U R TUFF raven woman!:hammer: :hammer:

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    In most jobs when you stop producing, your let go. No company keeps dead weight. It is unproductive. The NFL is no different. Thats why I have no problem with the T.O's of the world of asking for more money...WHILE THEY ARE PRODUCIVE>>>>NOT READY TO RETIRE so your statement...Let me further translate. When a person has been on the job for a certain amount of years and have contributed mightly to that company's success, what does that person do? Ask for a raise. Ask for more job security. makes no sense

You need to go back and read what I said again. I agreed with your argument (even though it is shortsighted) that an unproductive person is let go from a job. That said, when a person is productive and instrumental to a company's success, that person asks for a raise.

It is no different for the NFL players. Ray Lewis feels he was instrumental in our 13-3 season (and he was), so he has a right to ask for a raise (or new contract).
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    Hmmmm, Why does this not surprise me? U R TUFF raven woman!:hammer: :hammer:
    When the contract that you sign says it can be cancelled at anytime by the team then I do not want to hear you whine when you get cut and dont get paid. If you are not happy in the NFL and their contact situation, then, go to the CFL....IT IS YOUR CHOICE!!!NO ONE FORCES YOU TO TAKE IT!!!!!
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

I just wanted to point out exactly what Preston said - and didn't say:

Ray-Ray
    Middle linebacker Ray Lewis has apparently not given up on trying to get a contract extension. The Ravens have given Lewis an extension almost every season, but have denied him one the past two years. Apparently, it's going to be a third straight year.

It's looks like mighty Ray has struck out again.

Posted by Mike Preston on January 24, 2007 at 8:21 AM
    At no point does he say that Ray has actually ask for an extension. Preston is only saying that apparently Ray hasn't given up an extension. Similarly, at no point did he say that the Ravens did reject anything or that they even had anything to reject.

So, is it a prediction or speculation?

Who knows?

Maybe a "source" told Preston that Ray does have plans to ask and Preston has been told by someone in the FO that if Ray does ask, he'll be denied.

But, again, who knows?

So what exactly is the purpose of this blog?

So, now this one little blog - about something that hasn't apparently even happened and possibly, may never happen - will take a life of its own, and already there is a blurb in USAToday saying that Ray has asked for an extension and has been denied, crediting The Sun as the source.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 01-26-2007 at 11:54 AM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap