Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ray Wants Contract Extension

http://blogs.baltimoresun.com/sports_football_ravens/

If a new contract could significantly lower his cap number, I would do it. We could give him more upfront money and backload the deal beyond the 2008 Over-30 cap purge after the 2008 season.

Thoughts?
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Ray Wants Contract Extension

like i said a million times when i knew this would happen...trade his ass, re-sign AD.

Here we go again....:grbac:
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

What is the big deal? If Ray Lewis talking about being the "highest paid player" then of course, that's a no. Otherwise, re-doing Ray's deal could actually benefit the cap. Ray just wants upfront money. Right now his cap number around 6.5 to 7M. That is way too much for a LB well in his 30s. BRavor of course could give more substantive examples of how a new deal could help the cap.

I don't know how much time is left on Ray's current deal. (I believe it is two years). Let's say he is due 6.5M in 2007 and 7M in 2008. Why can't we just turn all of that into a signing bonus of say 12M and spread it over 5 more years and backload the money after the 2008 season, then give Ray a very low annual salary. (Again, just throwing numbers out. BRavor could do this much better).
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

The cap implications are the key to whether this is or .

Bmore Ravor, are you there? :)
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

We only have 1 or maybe 2 years in this window. Give him money upfront, back load the contract to readdress the issue in 2 years. At that point, and I hate saying this because Ray is my favorite player, it is probably time to let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    We only have 1 or maybe 2 years in this window. Give him money upfront, back load the contract to readdress the issue in 2 years. At that point, and I hate saying this because Ray is my favorite player, it is probably time to let him go.
    He's not getting a new contract with frontloaded money, that's for sure. We are pretty tight in cap space and there's no room for that now.

The *only* way it might happen is with an extension and *backloaded* money. Hypothetically he has 2 years, $2xmillion each left. We can help ourselves with a renegotiated contract of 4 years, year 1 $1xmillion, year 2 $2xmillion, years 3 and 4 $4xmillion. I doubt *he* would want that deal, because years 3 and 4 are not guaranteed, but then his cap number this *coming* year would go from $2x to $1x, which would be nice in the short term.

The whole thing is almost certainly not going to happen, because though under my hypothetical it helps the team, I seriously doubt Ray would go for a deal like that.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

well the only thing that matters to him is not wheter it's front or backloaded. He wants the signing bonus which he gets all up front right now guaranteed and thats pro rated throught the life of the contract

If he expects a signing bonus this offseason he's just being a fool.
    Festivus

Well duh whats an extension w/o a bonus

If he gets his contract restructured, the team will push off absorbing a bigger cap hit in the future. That's the rub of lowering his salary this season to save some money.

On the flip side, if they are able the manage their cap with Lewis' current salary accounted for, they could save a lot more money when they release him in a year or two, and not deal with a lot of dead money.

I think the Ravens can manage just fine with Ray Lewis' deal structured the way it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    If he expects a signing bonus this offseason he's just being a fool.

Why? He just completed one of his best best years ever...I think he timed this very well.