Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Dez Bryant is the new Peppers/ Marshall/ Crabtree

Cody was selected with our original 2nd round pick. We got Kindle and the 2 TEs with our 1st. It may have only taken a 5th or even 6th rounder to move up and get Bryant or Thomas.

Peppers would have been expensive, but look what he has done for the Bears D. They were garbage last year and dominant this year. What we need more than anything right now on D is the ability to get pressure from a 4 man rush. There is no cap and there are not as many guys coming up on our team due big contracts as there are guys on the way out that already have them. Gregg, Ray, Reed and Heap.

:T2:

Blog Entries

In hindsight, it's clear Ozzie focused on needs in the draft and free agency.

He signed Stallworth, Boldin and TJ becuase Joe was desperate for weapons and
    that kept us out of the SB the last 2 years.

In draft he addressed the pass rush. He knew he had an aging line with Pryce
    and Gregg and the secondary needed shoring up.

So he drafts Cody and Kindle for the pass rush. Great move because we're not
    complaining if Kindle is playing. JJ wouldn't have declined, Kindle would have made
    him better while rushing off the edge.

There was no need for DEZ after Boldin and Stallworth. There was a need for a pass
    rush. Cody was the guy I wanted @ 25 and we got Kindle too. Let's wait til next year
    while Cody develops and Kindle is better. Clearly, DEZ is better now but it might not
    remain that way.

Then he brought in Wilson for the secondary. Well, at least Ozzie tried there.

I trust the eye of Oz, and I did not have to write the check or make the trades but I would have liked to get a top rookie Wr to develop with Flacco and under Boldin long term.

My Peppers arguments have all been made and his impact on the Bears and off the Panthers is pretty obvious. It was a freaking huge check though.

Blog Entries

Cody wasn't drafted for pass rush, he was drafted to be the BFANT (Big Fat A$$ Nose Tackle) to cement our 3-4 D. He's a BEAST against the run.

Basically, Ozzie focused on building blocks in this draft, IMO...

Kindle was replacing Pryce as a pass rusher
    Cody was replacing Gregg, who's clock is definitley ticking out
    Dickson and Pitta kind've replace Heap, while also addressing the deficiency we had where LJ Smith was a total bust
    David Reed was replacing Yamon Figurs as a good KR
    Art Jones and Ramon Harewood didn't replace anyone specifically, but again just good building blocks for the DL and OL
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I seem to remember Troy Smith bitching about being hit too hard in the
    mini camp:

in the backfield

2 plays in a row

by Mt Cody.

You'd be amazed how NOT spectacular Peppers has been this season when not playing on national television. And I mean, it's not like he had a rep for that kind of effort/consistency or anything.

Hell, can you imagine the eruption around here if the Ravens signed Peppers for $84 million and he had two sacks in the first nine games?
    ERIG20, your local draftnik

Signature currently under construction

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I seem to remember Troy Smith bitching about being hit too hard in the
    mini camp:

in the backfield

2 plays in a row

by Mt Cody.
    Nice.

Nice.

Nice.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by edreedisgod20 View Post
    You'd be amazed how NOT spectacular Peppers has been this season when not playing on national television. And I mean, it's not like he had a rep for that kind of effort/consistency or anything.

Hell, can you imagine the eruption around here if the Ravens signed Peppers for $84 million and he had two sacks in the first nine games?
    I have only seen him play a couple of times this year, but have been keeping an eye on the Bears D since I have them as my fantassy football unit.They lead the NFL in take aways and are top 3 in pretty much every catagory.

Even a DE like Peppers has to be evaluated on a lot more than just sacks. Just having him out there singles up the rest of the DL and allows the DC to get pressure without blitzing and really cause problems when he does.

Jake Long had a bad shoulder so it was not really a fair fight vs Peppers, but he has been making plays all year, tipping passes tfls and just making the Bears D much more formidable than they have been in years.

I think a guy like Peppers on the other side of Suggs would allow him to really go off, and there are so few guys in the NFL like him that it justifies the price.

We did and do not need Peppers and his contract, but we need someone to emerge as an edge rushing force to compliment Suggs, and Nagta or someone needs to get better at creating pressure up the middle as well without having to blitz.
    Letting Barnes and Pryce go still sort of baffles me. They were suspect vs the run but IMO were our 2nd and 3rd best pass rushers and enough to get the job done from a 4 man rush. Pryce was maybe a little more washed up than I thought, but Barnes has looked pretty dangerous coming off the edge in SD.

Blog Entries

A big part of the Chicago D turanaround is Urlacher...

Urlacher missed most of the season last year, he is the heart and soul of their D, like Ray is with us.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    A big part of the Chicago D turanaround is Urlacher...

Urlacher missed most of the season last year, he is the heart and soul of their D, like Ray is with us.
    Disagree. Briggs is the heart of that D. At the rate he's going he'll barely brake 100 tackles this season. Urlacher has put up pretty pedestrian numbers the past 5 years, and in my opinion has always been overrated, he lacks the pure speed to make him elite. his 1st round status, the fact that he's a Bears linebacker, vitamin water endorsement, his intimidating look, and the fact that he's white, to me are the biggest reasons for him being overrated.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    In hindsight, it's clear Ozzie focused on needs in the draft and free agency.

He signed Stallworth, Boldin and TJ becuase Joe was desperate for weapons and
    that kept us out of the SB the last 2 years.

In draft he addressed the pass rush. He knew he had an aging line with Pryce
    and Gregg and the secondary needed shoring up.

So he drafts Cody and Kindle for the pass rush. Great move because we're not
    complaining if Kindle is playing.
    Exactly, and it makes sense. Few WRs can come in and produce as rookies and help NOW, and what we needed at Wr was help now. We got that through FA/trade by getting proven WRs who could help now.

It's easier to draft a pass rush, because mostly what you need is speed to replace the aging there. Lot easier to come in as a rookie and just pin your ears back on 3rd down, which is what Kindle would have done.

So the logic was 100% sound IMHO.