Mason Team Player or Serious Whiner

I want to believe Mason puts team goals first but to come out after a game and whine about his role in past games and how he is not appreciated in the offence reminds me that so called Ex Raven T.O

Re: Mason Team Player or Serious Whiner

Yeah I am not sure what to make of Mason lately. His rants are coming off as very selfish and do sound T.O.-like. At the very least, if he feels that way he should keep it in-house instead of talking to the media and causing a distraction. Mason has been a great player for us and the fans do appreciate the way he bolstered the WR-corps, but he has to accept the fact that he may see less touches with the emergence of Clayton and Williams.

Mason does not come across as a great team player, which is too bad because :grbac: I defended him for so long when people started talking about his selfishness.

That said, he is a *loooong* way from TO, and even with his whining he is an asset.

I think he would be more productive if McNair could hit those long line drive passes like Brady (or Manning, Garcia, Brees, Rivers, etc.). That would spread defenses more and give smaller receivers like him more space to get separation. I think our more compact passing game may tend to favor bigger receivers, like Heap, or the ones who can get *big* separation downfield occasionally, like Clayton and Williams.

Mason has the skills to get his touches, and he *does* get them on short and long routes though, so I wish he would shut up.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I wonder if he doesn't favor Kyle Boller.

We didn't do so well last season 6-10 and mason came out and defended kyle saying he was his qb.

This year we go 13-4 and we hear about him complaining

Mason is no T.O. -- Owens is in his own little category -- but Mason IS a selfish whiner. His complaining at the end of the season was disappointing. He didn't sound like a team player at all.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Mason does not come across as a great team player, which is too bad because :grbac: I defended him for so long when people started talking about his selfishness.

That said, he is a *loooong* way from TO, and even with his whining he is an asset.

I think he would be more productive if McNair could hit those long line drive passes like Brady (or Manning, Garcia, Brees, Rivers, etc.). That would spread defenses more and give smaller receivers like him more space to get separation. I think our more compact passing game may tend to favor bigger receivers, like Heap, or the ones who can get *big* separation downfield occasionally, like Clayton and Williams.

Mason has the skills to get his touches, and he *does* get them on short and long routes though, so I wish he would shut up.

Mason’s Issues:

1. Doesn’t like to lose…ever.
    2. Doesn't like being thought of as a possession receiver.
    3. Is realizing that Clayton is beginning to steal his “#1 Guy” thunder.
    4. With an excellent TE and 2 good WR, Mason is seeing fewer and fewer catches. In fact, this is the first time in FIVE STRAIGHT seasons that Mason has missed the 1000y mark.
    5. The guy is getting older and slower. Had we won the SB this year, I would have put $$ on him retiring. I doubt he is looking forward to another training camp.

I wonder if he doesn't favor Kyle Boller.

I think that has something to do with it.

Mason expected an increased role with McNair coming in this year. And while some games he was the favorite target, some games he wasn't even looked to. And definitely not looked to downfield.

However, when he defended Kyle as "his QB" last year, I don't think he was that positive on Kyle, but he just wasn't sure we'd get McNair.

That said, his complaining this year has somethign to do with this, I think. He wouldn't come out outright and say as much, but he has to be dissapointed Steve hasn't gotten it to him more, and overall hasn't put up better passing statistics.

Really, his 8 game stint with Boller was his best production.

he has to be dissapointed Steve hasn't gotten it to him more, and overall hasn't put up better passing statistics.
    And this is why he is just being a bitch. We had THREE guys with 60+ catches instead of 1 guy with 90. If he can't see how that is better for the team then he should retire or ask to be traded. It doesn't seem that he wants his team to win so much as he wants himSELF to win.

I think you are all wrong. Over the last couple games of the season and the Indy game, I was constantly seeing Mason get open on his precise routes. He would be open with room to make 1st downs on 3rd down, and he never gave up on his routes. I was just as frustrated as him that they chose to throw a 3 yard route on 3rd and 10 instead of not even looking at an open Mason on an 11 yard out route. I feel like they totally ignored Mason during the Buffalo and Indy games and it cost them. They could have sustained a few more drives had he even been in the game plan.

That being said I still feel like he could have handled this better. Talking to Billick, instead of the media. So he did come out looking bad in this which is a shame b/c I don't think it will help his case.

Most receivers are like that when they're not getting their touches. I'd figure on most of the team just brushing it off.

Let's not ever compare Mason to TO. EVER!
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I would not call Mason a whiner, but frustrated with his role here. He was signed as a "savior" to the WR group. Finally the Ravens had a true number 1 WR, then boom a 2nd year guy all of a sudden becomes the go to guy. I can see where this frustration is coming from.
    Now, is it a distraction, yes. However, I like to see the a WR that wants the ball. I don't think he is bashing anyone, just saying he would like more of a role. You can't argue that.