Ted Kennedy - Greatest American Senator?

Aside from a tough personal life where Kennedy was admittedly a drinker and a womanizer and made some horrible personal choices, he is arguably one of the greatest American politicians and Senators in history. The notion that government is “of the people” and “for the people” is inarguably Ted Kennedy - as he championed legislation that has positively affected every American today.

A Senator for 47 years and monumentally respected by Democrats and Republicans alike, he was truly known for working across the aisle. Not always the originator of legislation, he was always a coalition guy that enabled legislation to pass through the sticky processes of partisan politics.

He was instrumental in Civil Rights legislation, Women’s Rights, Americans with Disabilities, public education, immigrants who would soon become Americans, Gay and Lesbian rights and of course healthcare especially for uninsured children. He was a true liberal who fought for the common man – you and me…a true utilitarian that wanted what was best for everyone not the privileged few.

Some comments that have come out today from both sides of the aisle;

His extraordinary life on this earth has come to an end. And the extraordinary good that he did lives on. For his family, he was a guardian. For America, he was the defender of a dream. - President Barack Obama

While there were few political issues on which he and I agreed, our relationship was never disagreeable, and was always marked by good humor, hard work, and a desire to find common ground. - House Minority Leader John Boehner

I will always treasure the memory of his friendship and the time we spent together, from the Massachusetts waters he loved so much, to the floor of the Senate that will feel empty without his booming voice and broad smile. - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

In a life filled with trials, Ted Kennedy never gave in to self-pity or despair. He maintained his optimistic spirit, his sense of humor and his faith in his fellow citizens. He loved his family and his country — and he served them until the end. He will be deeply missed.
    - Former President George W. Bush

When you look at Ted Kennedy’s legislative career – more than 40 years. When you look at the content of that legislative career spanning the whole breadth of public policy, health policy, social policy, foreign policy, this has been a unique career. - Prime Minister Kevin Rudd

My friend, Ted Kennedy, was famous before he was accomplished. But by the end of his life he had become irreplaceable in the institution he loved and in the affections of its members. - Sen. John McCain

Today America lost a great elder statesman, a committed public servant, and leader of the Senate. And today I lost a treasured friend. - Senator Orrin Hatch

Actually, I must admit that my favorite comment was from “W”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrJVb...layer_embedded One of Kennedy’s famous and inspired speeches on healthcare reform. It is inevitable that the upcoming healthcare reform bill will be aptly named after the Lion, Ted Kennedy.

Now it is time to “Win One forTeddy”

Re: Ted Kennedy - Greatest American Senator?

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Aside from a tough personal life where Kennedy was admittedly a drinker and a womanizer and made some horrible personal choices, he is arguably one of the greatest American politicians and Senators in history. The notion that government is “of the people” and “for the people” is inarguably Ted Kennedy - as he championed legislation that has positively affected every American today.

A Senator for 47 years and monumentally respected by Democrats and Republicans alike, he was truly known for working across the aisle. Not always the originator of legislation, he was always a coalition guy that enabled legislation to pass through the sticky processes of partisan politics.

He was instrumental in Civil Rights legislation, Women’s Rights, Americans with Disabilities, public education, immigrants who would soon become Americans, Gay and Lesbian rights and of course healthcare especially for uninsured children. He was a true liberal who fought for the common man – you and me…a true utilitarian that wanted what was best for everyone not the privileged few.

Some comments that have come out today from both sides of the aisle;

His extraordinary life on this earth has come to an end. And the extraordinary good that he did lives on. For his family, he was a guardian. For America, he was the defender of a dream. - President Barack Obama

While there were few political issues on which he and I agreed, our relationship was never disagreeable, and was always marked by good humor, hard work, and a desire to find common ground. - House Minority Leader John Boehner

I will always treasure the memory of his friendship and the time we spent together, from the Massachusetts waters he loved so much, to the floor of the Senate that will feel empty without his booming voice and broad smile. - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

In a life filled with trials, Ted Kennedy never gave in to self-pity or despair. He maintained his optimistic spirit, his sense of humor and his faith in his fellow citizens. He loved his family and his country — and he served them until the end. He will be deeply missed.
    - Former President George W. Bush

When you look at Ted Kennedy’s legislative career – more than 40 years. When you look at the content of that legislative career spanning the whole breadth of public policy, health policy, social policy, foreign policy, this has been a unique career. - Prime Minister Kevin Rudd

My friend, Ted Kennedy, was famous before he was accomplished. But by the end of his life he had become irreplaceable in the institution he loved and in the affections of its members. - Sen. John McCain

Today America lost a great elder statesman, a committed public servant, and leader of the Senate. And today I lost a treasured friend. - Senator Orrin Hatch

Actually, I must admit that my favorite comment was from “W”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrJVb...layer_embedded One of Kennedy’s famous and inspired speeches on healthcare reform. It is inevitable that the upcoming healthcare reform bill will be aptly named after the Lion, Ted Kennedy.

Now it is time to “Win One forTeddy”
    Add to that... Wealthy beyond most of our ability to dream, yet still fought more for the common man than anyone I can remember!!! (won't even dignify the stupid remarks left here and elsewhere with a rebuttal!)

Ted Kennedy symbolized everything that's wrong with American politics.

Longevity does not equal greatness. Look at Strom Thurmond as an example. However, Ted Kennedy dedicated his life to this country, whether we believe in his politics or not. The man has passed away and there is no need to drag him through the muck and mire.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    Longevity does not equal greatness. Look at Strom Thurmond as an example. However, Ted Kennedy dedicated his life to this country, whether we believe in his politics or not. The man has passed away and there is no need to drag him through the muck and mire.
    Dedicating your life by staying in office for so long? The founding fathers never envisioned career politicians, and George Washington clearly understood that when he set the precedent for two terms. It's a shame there aren't term limits in the legislative branch, so we all could avoid the Ted Kennedy's and Strom Thurmond's of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Dedicating your life by staying in office for so long?
    Well, yes actually. I am not saying I agree with it. I agree there should be a term limit. But it is a life dedication no matter how you cut it.

And I actually agree with TRAP in regards to the re-naming the health care proposal as a shameless tactic at basically canonizing the "last knight of Camelot" I am also not saying I agree with his politics, and would certainly not consider him the greatest senator in history, or even a good one at that.

Ahh fuck it. He sucked! :D
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Ted Kennedy - Greatest American Senator?

Lets edit that;

Ted Kennedy - Greatest American Senator to ever drive off a bridge and kill someone, then go home and sleep off his alcohol induced state before he contacts anyone about the accident and gets away with murder.

What a great guy.