Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Sophomore Slump" for Flacco?? Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    This is an utterly ridiculous conspiracy theory and not at all true. Do you actually not remember media pundits were not using the term describing football players prior to the Ravens even existing? Because I certainly do...

- C -
    Like...

I do not remember ever hearing so much doubt about a rookie Qb that went to the playoffs.

There was some talk about it with big jen, but every time it came up it was explained that is a college or baseball thing, NFL QBs get better in year 2 even if the stats do not always prove it (unless the get injured or have soft mental makeup and fumble without contact after getting rattled and bollered).

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    This is an utterly ridiculous conspiracy theory and not at all true. Do you actually not remember media pundits were not using the term describing football players prior to the Ravens even existing? Because I certainly do...

- C -
    I dont remember anyone calling it specifily a sophomore slump before this off season.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I dont remember anyone calling it specifily a sophomore slump before this off season.
    Neither do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2007/12/15/c...phomore-slump/

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...839124/9533975

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ophomore-slump

http://football.realgm.com/src_teama...ay_buccaneers/

That's just from the front page of Google, all predate this off season.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

So maybe it is more than just superstition, but maybe not. Plenty of players are up and down due to a huge number of factors, but for the most part Qbs improve in the second year starting.

Even the QBs that turned out to be busts or disapointments improved inthe second year starting, but most of the Qbs on the list did not evn play that much or at all as rookies and the soph slump data is from maybe year 3 or 4 in the NFL but the 2nd as the starter.

some blog that did some research;
    http://dh523.wordpress.com/2009/08/0...homore-season/

Byron Leftwich
    - Year 1 QB Rating: 73.0
    - Year 2 QB Rating: 82.2 (+9.2)

Eli Manning
    - Year 1 QB Rating: 75.9
    - Year 2 QB Rating: 77.0 (+1.1)

Peyton Manning
    - Year 1 QB Rating: 71.2
    - Year 2 QB Rating: 90.7 (+19.5)

Dan Marino
    - Year 1 QB Rating: 96.0
    - Year 2 QB Rating: 108.9 (+12.9)

Donovan McNabb
    - Year 1 QB Rating: 77.8
    - Year 2 QB Rating: 84.3 (+6.5)

Steve McNair
    - Year 1 QB Rating: 70.4
    - Year 2 QB Rating: 80.1 (+9.7)

Sure any player may take a step back the next season, but it is not like it is a thing that Qbs struggle in year 2 because the FNL has tape on them now.

Boogie man and lazy reporting. The Ravens tend to have a bad year followed by a good followed by a bad, so there you go. The only reasonable reason the Ravens would struggle is if the passing game is worse (than 28th?) because the run game, O line and even TEs and Wrs are relativly established as reliable.

:T2:

Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    It's funny how Matt Ryan had a weak performance in the playoffs against a pathetic defense and yet all they keep talking about how Flacco is gonna be the one with the sophomore slump.
    Nothing new, the Ravens can't get any respect in the media. Flacco did a great job and is the only rookie in NFL history to win 2 playoff games but Matt Ryan is the man or something. The Raven D made Sanchez wanna curl up and cry the other night but all the analysts wanna say is how he battled back through adversity and got a touchdown, not mentioning that it was mostly the 2nd team D and that that ENTIRE drive belonged to Leon Washington. Its a little ridiculous and I'm frustrated with it but its part of being a Ravens fan.

This thread should have just been titled, "The World Hates Baltimore" and got it over with.

I could care less what "THEY" say about Joe Flacco or any other Raven.

THEY've been wrong many times in the past and will likely be wrong about Flack this year.

I would really be disillusioned if Joe wet the bed this season, as, based on his previous performance, he should show significant improvement from last season.

Like I said.

Not likely.

If what we just saw out of Flacco is considered a "Sophomore Slump", I'll take it every day of the week and definitely twice on Sundays. :D

That right there was one of the best halves of QB play by a Raven QB we've seen in a lonnnnggggg time!!:happyanim

That throw to Kelly Washington was a thing of beauty!!
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

The thing is he makes it look so easy,even Sandusky or maybe it was White commented on it during the game.

I mean that deep ball down the sideline to Washington?? Could not have walked it out and handed it to him in a better position. He dropped that thing right in there like it was a 5 yd comeback route. Just tossed it in there like it was nothing.

This kid is a star.....period.

Give him just a second to scan the field in the pocket and he throws one of the most beautiful balls I have ever seen and is accurate to boot.