Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Re: 2007 Mock Draft Trends

Going on round 2 and just using this for general draft chat:

- Rick Neuheisel attended Trent Edwards' pro day at Stanford and reportedly came away very impressed.

Edwards I like as a project QB to sit behind McNair if we're giving up on Boller. I wouldn't expressedly 'want' to get him, but I'd not be fussed if we did pick him up.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    Going on round 2 and just using this for general draft chat:

- Rick Neuheisel attended Trent Edwards' pro day at Stanford and reportedly came away very impressed.

Edwards I like as a project QB to sit behind McNair if we're giving up on Boller. I wouldn't expressedly 'want' to get him, but I'd not be fussed if we did pick him up.
    I agree with your thoughts on thsi matter. I'd put him around the same area as Kolb, behind Stanton, and Beck. If Stanton drops in the 2nd that is our Best chance to get a real Franchise QB, but I think we have bigger needs then QB in the second rd. Unfortunately I doubt Stanton makes it to the 4th, so I hope we get Beck, or Edwards I guess.

Yes, I wouldn't be averse to Kolb, Edwards, or Beck in the 4th if that ends up happening.

We'll see. I'm very interested to see what happens of this friendly debate over o-lineman type (ie blalock-beekman type compared to grubbs-kalil-staley).

Time will tell. Be nice to get some DT/DE depth in later rounds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    We'll see. I'm very interested to see what happens of this friendly debate over o-lineman type (ie blalock-beekman type compared to grubbs-kalil-staley)..
    I agree, as long as Oline is addressed I will be happy. Despite my ramblings, if we drafted Kalil and Staly, cringe, I would be happy, as at least it were addressed heavily early, and we would have a CLEAR picture of the team going forward. Grubbs, I think Fits right in the middle, as does Ugoh. Coincidentally I liek them both.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    Time will tell. Be nice to get some DT/DE depth in later rounds as well.
    I agree, btu it's not something thought of often enough. I think a FUll Size DE on day one would not be a bad idea. If we don't see an extension for Suggs before camp, I don't expect to see him next year. It may not be the worst thing in the world, as he will fetch $10m per year with more then $20m up front. He is young, jsut entering his prime, but DAMN, that's a LOT of money. I, personally would pay it, but I'm not sure Ozzie will.

Suggs is important, but I was thinking about a 3-4 DE that might be able to play 4-3 DT or DE....ie, someone like Pryce.

and yes, Grubb and Ugoh are in the middle. Ugoh is a big stretch at 29, Grubbs may be as well, but he's more worthy than Beekman, Sears, etc by far.

I may be the only one in the athletic motion focused offensive line club. That's ok though. :)

I've been saying DT/DE on day one since the start and specifically remember saying a month or two back that Baraka Atkins was my main target in the draft to get in round 2. Tremendous talent and was always the man I saw doubled on Miami's line.

Any-one of Atkins, Ray McDonald (Florida) or IkaIka Aliama Francis would be ideal IMO. But it all depends upon what defensive front we're going to, 3-4 or 4-3. Not sure we've got the guys in reserve to stick with the versatility for much longer so I think we need to take the top talent now to set our stall out for what front we're sticking with.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    But it all depends upon what defensive front we're going to, 3-4 or 4-3.
    I would guess, to put the horse in front of the cart, the right front depends on the personnel. So drafting a stud DT might suggest to Rex a 4-3, rather than Rex suggesting a 4-3 so the FO hopes there's a stud DT there in round 2.

:2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I would guess, to put the horse in front of the cart, the right front depends on the personnel. So drafting a stud DT might suggest to Rex a 4-3, rather than Rex suggesting a 4-3 so the FO hopes there's a stud DT there in round 2.

:2c:
    This is very true. But with drafting Ngata and Gregg not going anywhere soon (I hope, knock on wood etc.) that we'll be going 4-3. In which case we'll need two new ends in short order (a year or two) because we have zilch behind Pryce and I'm just paranoid about how long he can kick that nasty injury habit for before he needs his fix again (this was his first injury free season for yonks) and as mentioned just above, Suggs may not be long for the Charm City, though I think a franchise tag may be headed in his direction.

On PFT, they have their fifth mock up and it is through two rounds. In round 1 (29), they have us taking Ryan Kalil, and in the second round, they have us taking Drew Stanton. I like the Kalil pick, but dislike the Stanton pick. I challenge the credibility of this mock, because they have Justin Blalock falling all the way to the lower second round.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Just looking at that PFT mock now and my thoughts:

- Bowe at 9 is absolutely disgusting.
    - Meacham at 14 would be an entirely unnecessary reach for the Panthers.
    - Brown at 17 would make zero sense for the Jags when they have Barnes and just threw money at Pashos.
    - Wright at 19 for the Titans would make no sense after the trouble the Titans just got into with their last high talent, zero character corner.
    - Alan Branch to 21 seems unlikely, though not unreasonable.
    - Carriker at 24 I can't see happening in a million years, if he fell to 20 and I were Ozzie I'd be chomping at the bit to trade up and get him.
    - Chris Henry in the 2nd for the Titans seems unlikely with the fact that they're currently negotiating a contract with Michael Turner and banging out compensation with the Chargers if reports are true.
    - Stanton I just wouldn't particularly like but wouldn't be especially bothered by. With Carr going to Carolina though, I now get the feeling Boller ain't going anywhere and will be the next starter after Steve McNair in Baltimore.

Seems some absolutely ridiculous picks in there..
    Last edited by UKRavenStockers; 04-07-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Those people had to have been sniffing glue or something. (is that still done these days?)

Their site worsens. Aside from the endless 'nicknames' they invent and no one cares about, the random popup ads are getting more and more obnoxious. PFT is a sophomoric site that is growing less useful daily.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

updated.