Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: (please sticky) 2007 Mock Draft Trends

I think blalock is a lock since he can play both guard & tackle, the ravens love players that can play more than one position, would not be surprise if they trade down and try to get two o-linemen

Quote Originally Posted by ravens-maniac View Post
    I think blalock is a lock since he can play both guard & tackle, the ravens love players that can play more than one position, would not be surprise if they trade down and try to get two o-linemen
    Disagree. If anything Blalock showed he can't play tackle except in an absolute absolute emergency when there's no other realistic option.

Arron Sears showed some versatility for guard/tackle. But I'm not a fan of either as I don't like guards stepping out to tackle to 'do a job'. Superior athletes play tackle and the ability to step inside to guard, I don't think guards stepping out to tackle is a very good way to go, particularly with a first round pick.

I think the Ravens will go Best Player Available , since it is so hard to predict what will be left at number 29. If at 29, the best player available is a position that the Ravens don't need (like tight end), then I think they will trade down and try to pick up additional draft picks. The Ravens trust their board and will not pick at 29 for the sake of taking a player they don't need or a player that can be had in the second or third round. Another criteria this year that I have heard is that they want players in the high rounds to be able to come in and play immediately. Players like Dwan Edwards and David Pittman who are "projects" with talent aren't going to be taken in the early rounds this year. Other than that, I have no idea who the Ravens will draft.

Updated.

Of course the team will go BPA. This is an exercise in...mocking...mocks.

The primary problem with internet mock drafts is that every one of them tries to fill by "need" or "replacement"

IE: why else is Michael Bush very popular and McGahee is signed and Bush drops off the face of the earth? Why did all of the O-lineman get popular the week Pashos left and McGahee came to the team? Why are all of the popular defensive players "AD-replacements" and not corners or lineman?

It's pretty interesting to see how just by their process most mocks render themselves worthless

It looks like Joe Stalye's stock is rising as well. He recently ran a 4.8 in the 40 at his pro-day.

STALEY BLAZES IN PRO DAY
    Central Michigan tackle Joe Staley, who was expected to be a star of the scouting combine but who didn't work out due to a hamstring injury, made up for his absence during his Pro Day workout, cranking out a 4.79 in the 40-yard dash.
    the rest is about 8 postings down the page at Prof0otballtalk.com

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I don't want the Ravens to take another workout warrior. But I would like to see them take an O-lineman. I just hope there is a game-proven Tackle or Guard available at 29.

Why are all of the popular defensive players "AD-replacements" and not corners or lineman?
    Exactly. But, based on need I think the Ravens are thinner at DB than LB/DL
    Section 106 from start to finish!

I believe I said this somewhere else, but it simply comes down to one question:

Could Staley start at RT for the Ravens at some point in 2007 if needed?

If the answer is yes, then you almost certainly need to think long and hard about the alternatives, because this type of ability at the tackle position is huge.

If not, then he's probably not a guy for the 1st round, even with the ridiculous numbers.

The scouts have done their work...it's still far too long to draft day :grbac:

Quote Originally Posted by hurting View Post
    Exactly. But, based on need I think the Ravens are thinner at DB than LB/DL
    I strongly Disagree. Behind CMAC and Rolle you have Ivey, Prude, Pittman Ogelsby and Martin, who may move to S. If Sapp is re-signed he would be with Martin behind Reed and Landry. As Ozzie shoed last year a ready to play solid S can be found on the second day, as he picked a near DROY in rd 5. I don't understand how having it laid out like that and with only two day 1 picks how ANYONE could think that was a day 1 need by any means.

Instead look at DT. Behind Ngata and Gregg, we have Bannan and Edwards. I think a day 2 prospect can be added here.

At DE though, we have Dwan Edwards as Pryce's only backup and JJ and Cody as Suggs backup JJ is slated to start at SAM. That is one THINB position with an AGING though excellent Pryce, and Suggs who is currently only signed through THIS YEAR. That is really only 2 backups on the DLINE's 4 spots, plus two guys who are the top of the depthchart at SAM... YIKES.

Now at LB, at the topo you have Ray and Scott, with the aforementioned Cody and JJ platooning. Then you add in Mike Smith, Dennis Haley and Tim Johnson as backups. OUCH. So that's three hybrid guy, one who has to start, and 2 provide backup to two positions. Johnson is mostly a ST'er and likely to be Scott's backup, though he is not fast enough to be suitable there.

So we are very thin at real DE depth, as well as WiLL and Mike backups, and none of our Hybrid guys have really proven that they are capable of filling the role that is asked of them. Do you still agree with your comment? If so, I'm confused, please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    Could Staley start at RT for the Ravens at some point in 2007 if needed?
    :grbac:

If he is drafted, I certainly hope so, but I have more then my fair share of doubts. I think the guy would be THOUROUGHLY EMBARRASSED at the POA on the RT spot. I think a guy like Strahan would put him on his back all game. He is a project at LT, not a day 1 starter at RT, IMO.

I am worried enough about Terry starting at RT and he was a seemingly "stronger" prospect at hte time he was drafted and has had 2 full offseasons to bulk up an dwork on his technique. I would be mroe then svared if Staley was on the field in that role. I'd much rather Ugoh, Marten or Otto, as a RT prospect, and I see Terry as our LT whenever called upon.

I think Staley would be capable at starting but would have to beat out Terry for start at Right Tackle.

As to the needs on the defense.. I agree that we are thin at DE and at ILB. There are some great prospects from Michigan, Penn State, and a few other schools

Take a look below:
    For ILB:
    Patrick Willis 6'1" 240 MISSISSIPPI
    Brandon Siler 6'1" 238 FLORIDA
    David Harris 6'2" 239 MICHIGAN
    Buster Davis 5'9" 244 FLORIDA STATE
    Jon Abbate 5'11" 243 WAKE FOREST

Since we do not have a third round pick, we may have to consider using a 2nd round on one of the upper tier ILB'ers like:Willis or Siler, but with a 4th , 5th or 6th we should be able to pick up one of the second tier LB's like Miller, Davis, or Abbate. I have seen some great things from Miller. He is said to be quick, versatile, agile, plays aggressively and is known to create a lot of turnovers. Abbate has a great tenacious demeanor, hard-worker, is extremely strong and hard-hitting tackler, and really strong character.

Willis - We won't have a shot at with the 29th, we'd need to trade up into the top half of the first to get him, which we wont.

The others are realistic options though, but I don't see them as a need in all honesty.

Yeah, Willis is fringe top 10... SF or Buffalo could easily pick him in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    So we are very thin at real DE depth, as well as WiLL and Mike backups, and none of our Hybrid guys have really proven that they are capable of filling the role that is asked of them. Do you still agree with your comment? If so, I'm confused, please explain.

I am by no means a Samari Role basher, but he is getting long in the tooth. although the guys you mention look good as nickle and dime alternates, I haven't been impressed with either of them to step in and fill Role's shoes if he goes down or has lost another step. (I may be way off base here, but I just haven't seen enough of the other guys)

My point with the LB position is that the front office always seems to find diamonds in the rough at LB in the later rounds and I have confidence they can do that agian this year.

If we morph back into a 4-3, as you have stated we have Ray and Bart and I am assuming JJ will step up and start at OLB. Going with a 3-4 don't forget about Suggs in the mix and maybe Cody can stay healthy. Then we have a couple of servicable backups. Adding a few late round gems should fill out the LB position.

As far as 'real' DE I think you are right on. McCrary was the last high level DE that I can recall and he was undersized. I really liked Weaver and thought he was a good player, but never showed that outside dominance.
    Section 106 from start to finish!