Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: (please sticky) 2007 Mock Draft Trends

I can't wait for the SB and Pro Bowl to be over so that draft talk can pick up more steam.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    No kidding, it makes no sense to me.

I don't see how we'd pick Blalock, Bush, or Troy Smith in the first....none of them really fit....Blalock only if he'd play tackle, and then you'd think we'd get Arron Sears or Levi Brown perhaps.

Bush and Irons really are more second round guys, Irons with his injury history and Bush...well, with that whole broken leg thing.

It's really funny how this time last year, I was sure we'd try to get Ngata and the year before I really really hoped we could get Clayton.

Right now, I have no idea who to wish for at the moment. I need to read up on the linebackers and corners more....but the 'backers don't look that great at the moment.

As far as legit potentials...
    Quentin Moses, Jarvis Moss, Marcus McCauley, Aaron Ross, Jon Beason, Paul Posluszny, Patrick Willis...I'll have to mess around more
    This is why trading down into the top of the second round and picking up more first day picks is probably the best course of action. It seems the talent between our pick at 29 and 35 pick is about the same.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I'll have this updated Monday morning.

Right now, I'm really hoping we can get Willis to fall....looked really good, but he'll probably go around 20 as opposed to 29. Seems a defensive player is going to be the best thing for us in that pick if we don't move down.

Of course, that might all change. If Bush is 100% ready to go and rocks the combine, there is a chance he's worth that #29, we just have no idea right now.
    Last edited by ExiledRaven; 02-05-2007 at 01:32 AM.

updated Monday 2/5/07

If there is a great value at RB in the first round then I would pull the trigger on that...but I would rather see them go after Dominic Rhodes or Michael Turner. I also see several mocks that have us picking this Ryan Kalil kid from USC...a center.

FM

Yup, Kalil has been showing up more and more.

Four of the 'database' mocks had him as our pick, perhaps showing that no one knows the real status of Chester as the center of the future or the fact that Brown played center in college.

I don't think there is chance in hell at getting turner, the guy isn't worth the 1st and 3rd rounders. Only thing that would be close is to trade players for him, but I can't see how trying to swing an AD tag and trade is going to interest San Diego in the slightest if we can even afford to tag AD.

Rhodes is going to be overvalued as all big time performers in each year's "ultimate game" are and isn't worth the cash.

If you're holding out for RB hope, I think here are your two bests shots for early runningback. Lynch somehow falls and we make a play to get him which I highly doubt, or Bush comes to the combine and proceeds to be a monster. If Bush is the monster, he's easily worth the pick, a converted QB he can run the trick play, and has good hands. Running Bush and Anderson roughly equally isn't a bad plan if bush comes out playing as well as his highlights indicate.

A humiliatingly large amount of mocks have Troy Smith or Blalock as our pick. Smith isn't a 1st round prospect period and may not even be 1st day. Blalock will likely go in the 1st. Someone will take him, but the FO seems to shy away from taking interior lineman really early outside of Chester in the second. Brown, Mulitalo being 4th rounders are more the norm. Plus, we've got Edwin back, along with Rimpf recovered from his season ending injury. ....so the line's pretty set outside of a backup Tackle if JO retires.

That's part of what makes this interesting to see. So many people make the mocks having no real idea of the backup plans in place on teams.

Who do we pick? I certainly wouldn't mind Bush if he comes out like a monster. Willis would also be unreal. I'm just not really sold on anyone else in the 1st round. A guy like Michael Griffon might be interesting (talk of him converting to corner) or Quentin Moses (DE-OLB hybrid), Aaron Ross (mold of c-mac just a bit slower), Hughes seems good but all reports on him indicate he's more of a zone coverage corner and we're probably one of the most demanding teams in terms of man coverage ability.

Come on combine, give us some light.

7. Re: (please sticky) 2007 Mock Draft Trends

Hey One and All,

First time user, long time listener. I'd love for them to get a quick-fast-speedy RB, but something tells me they're gonna go LB help. Cody might not be back. AD probably won't be back. Can't see Willis falling anywhere NEAR us, he's too good. I wouldn't under-rate Troy Smith. Folks had alotta questions about Vince (accuracy, decision-making)Young too. Thanks for the mock draft updates. Even though they're often wrong, I love hearing that stuff.......it bridges the gap.

I'm with you on Willis. Lots of people think he's headed to buffalo.

LB I also agree is a big possibility. We lack depth pretty severely, but it really seems there isn't consensus on the ability of the OLBs. Most of them are being knocked pretty hard in comparison to the ILB guys. DE-OLB hybrids are a possibility with guys like Jarvis Moss or Quentin Moses.

Victor Abiamiri might also be something that happens as well if we look to the line at all.

I agree with you on Smith, I think he'll be gone by the end of the third.

Lord knows about Cody, I feel terrible for the guy, but what are we going to do? Same for Musa Smith.

No problem, please let me know if there are any other features you'd like to see on this post and I can always add them!

Excellent first post, welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikeboy View Post
    Even though they're often wrong, I love hearing that stuff.......it bridges the gap.
    The absolute truth.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

As long as you guys like it, I'll keep this going and we can rip on the all of the clearly impossible mocks