Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Welcome Back??

Raiders cut two-time All Pro Neal
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 19, 2009 9:32 PM ET
    One of the premier fullbacks of his era may be out of teams to block for.

The Raiders announced Wednesday they have released Lorenzo Neal to make roster room for safety Rashad Baker.

Neal, 38, was part of an effective running game in Baltimore last year, but the Ravens didn't make an effort to re-sign him. The Chargers cut the affable four-time Pro Bowler after the 2007 season; Neal has been a part of eight different NFL organizations after getting drafted by New Orleans in 1993.

The release is a surprise, but Neal was never expected to start for the Raiders. Oren O'Neal will clear the way for Justin Fargas, Darren McFadden, and Michael Bush.
    Hopefully the Ravens will re-sign him.. Really Loved seeing him in the backfield destroying LB's..

Re: Welcome Back??

We don't have the roster spot for a one trick pony like Neal. That's why we originally let him go, and why we let Stover go as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    We don't have the roster spot for a one trick pony like Neal. That's why we originally let him go, and why we let Stover go as well.
    Yeah? We are in need of a blocking TE, that seems hard to find.. Neal could provide the extra pass and run blocking need.. and spell McClain (in running situations) and there's no Ravens fan who can say they didn't love the Jumbo package (McClain, 3 OT's, and Neal)

I loved Neal when he was here. McClain IMHO isn't a true FB and it'd be nice to have a guy with the mentality that Neal has in there. I thought he did a nice job...we'd have 2 FB's on the roster...I don't think that is overdoing it.

I say drop Cook for Neal so we can have that three headed monster back. Jumbo package YESSS!!!!. Is McClain really committed to blocking this year after his flirt with being a monster running back between the hashes? That is the real question. Something to consider, but who's spot would he take? I don't want to push off any 53 man worthy talent so it can be claimed off of the practice squad. I think the Ravens will be splitting hairs to get this team to 53 players, but I like that. It means we are talented in the depths.

I would love for him to come back. He is a wrecking ball.

It'd be interesting to see him come back...but like it's been said already, who'd be cut for him?
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

If (big if) we do bring him in, it won't be until late.
    Have to get a longer look at Cook (not promising after one game), Lawrence, Peerman, and Parmale, so roster spot needed.
    But with his age and some teams not really using a FB, I think there is a good chance he will still be out there if we need him (and he won't need a lot of time since he knows the system). I'd expect to see final cuts first, barring injury, then things depend on who made the team and who is out there cut by others. Just can't see us bringing him in early.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel#52 View Post
    Yeah? We are in need of a blocking TE, that seems hard to find.. Neal could provide the extra pass and run blocking need.. and spell McClain (in running situations) and there's no Ravens fan who can say they didn't love the Jumbo package (McClain, 3 OT's, and Neal)
    The guy's a monster and can still play imo. I would love to see him back in a Raven's uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I say drop Cook for Neal so we can have that three headed monster back. Jumbo package YESSS!!!!. Is McClain really committed to blocking this year after his flirt with being a monster running back between the hashes? That is the real question. Something to consider, but who's spot would he take? I don't want to push off any 53 man worthy talent so it can be claimed off of the practice squad. I think the Ravens will be splitting hairs to get this team to 53 players, but I like that. It means we are talented in the depths.
    Perfection

Completely agree, I'd be happy to see him in a Ravens uniform again this season. I love McClain's versatility but when we want to go heavy, he can't block for himself.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I still get goose bumps thinking about Neal and McClain in the I formation last year. Just put yourself in the LB's mind for a second. Looking over the LOS at those monsters waiting to run you into the turf.

Neal,McClain,Rice,McGahee.5 huge roadgraders. Why pass the ball? ;)

Why pussycat with the wildcat deception.We'll just run you over and make you spit snot bubbles all game long.The refs would throw in the towel for the other team by the 4th Q.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.