Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 55
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)



    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Noting that 3 of 4 AFCN coaches are black isn't a big deal but I do get why some are turned off by the topic.

    When are we going to STOP recognizing racial differences? The recognition is now doing more to divide than the actual racism which for the most part is dead among those in charge. Yes, I know, there are plenty of rednecks in placeds like Dumbfuck, MS but these cats have less power than they have teeth and they are missing a good number of their choppers.

    The representation of blacks in the NFL HC ranks is something that is and has been going on in industry for a while. Racism among whites against blacks is something that is just about dead. At least in the work place.
    Again, it convenient that in this instance we must "stop recognizing racial differences." I bet you guys recognize it when it comes to negative statistics concerning African American males and prison, or A.A. males and criminal activity, or any negative topic you want to discuss as it pertains to African Americans. Once there is something positive and good to link African American males, we must "stop recognizing racial differences."

    I am not accusing anyone, but this is rather interesting.

    The fact that one statement of FACT is made can lead to this kind of hostility is why America will always be divided and vulnerable. It's sad.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    I bet you guys recognize it when it comes to negative statistics concerning African American males and prison, ...
    Uh, I don't bring up those statistics, usually race hustlers like Sharpton and Jackson do. I don't give a damn what a guy's skin color is, if he is in prison for committing a violent act I want him to stay there.

    By the way, I happen to believe prison rates reflect a cultural problem, not a racial one. The whites in prison grow up in cultures very similar to the ones blacks in prison grew up in.

    Or let me put it this way, ALTHOUGH YOU OBVIOUSLY ASSUME that I think race causes somebody to be a criminal (based on your take of how you think I would view it), I don't. I know culture and upbringing are the cause, not skin color.

    Once there is something positive and good to link African American males, ...
    The problem you are having is I didn't take issue with your post or noting the number of blacks that are NFL HCs. I posted why others did take issue, at least as I see it.

    Oddly, I didn't even think of the skin color of any of these coaches until I read your take. I THINK THAT IS A LOT MORE POSITIVE THAN HOW MANY NFL COACHES THERE ARE. You see, that the average white guy doesn't notice color is more important than how many black guys have managed to excel as football coaches. At least I think it is.




  3. #33

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    1. Do you even know what diversity is? Have you had a training on diversity? If not, you ought to and if so, you need a refresher course.

    2. You are hostile about this. You can read it in your response that you have a hostility when it comes to this subject.

    Again, I mention that 3 out of 4 of the AFC North head coaches are African American and you guys just turned into a lynch mob.

    It is interesting because it shows how far the NFL has come as it pertains to diversity (looks like some of you guys have to catch up). I say kuddos, because these guys are showing African American children that they can have a future in football as more than a player, and that they have a future as a head coach and a GM.
    I've been through this crap with you on more than one occasion, and I don't have a desire to do it again. You're stubborn on the matter.

    Training on diversity? Are you serious? Are you implying that I'm somehow racist and ignorant because I don't advocate social promotion and the constant discussion of race? Do I know what diversity is? Isn't it an old, old wooden ship used during the Civil War era?

    And quit acting so innocent on the matter. Yes, your comment may not have warranted this type of reaction, but the implications of it are quite annoying. To be surprised that your comment elicited this type of response is nieve to say the least.

    I'm tired of being bombarded with racial issues. The constant discussion of "diversity" perpetuates racial divides. To not see that is beyond me.

    Sure, black kids see these guys as being coaches, great. Good for them. Maybe they shouldn't be so concerned with becoming a professional athlete in the first place, and their parents can stress education first.

    Blacks can do anything anyone else can do. There shouldn't be a difference. They don't need affirmative action and pandering from guilty liberals to achieve things in life. You should read Thomas Sowell. Hell, look him up on Wikipedia and you might learn something.

    EDIT: Rack Greg.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Uh, I don't bring up those statistics, usually race hustlers like Sharpton and Jackson do. I don't give a damn what a guy's skin color is, if he is in prison for committing a violent act I want him to stay there.

    By the way, I happen to believe prison rates reflect a cultural problem, not a racial one. The whites in prison grow up in cultures very similar to the ones blacks in prison grew up in.

    Or let me put it this way, ALTHOUGH YOU OBVIOUSLY ASSUME that I think race causes somebody to be a criminal (based on your take of how you think I would view it), I don't. I know culture and upbringing are the cause, not skin color.


    The problem you are having is I didn't take issue with your post or noting the number of blacks that are NFL HCs. I posted why others did take issue, at least as I see it.

    Oddly, I didn't even think of the skin color of any of these coaches until I read your take. I THINK THAT IS A LOT MORE POSITIVE THAN HOW MANY NFL COACHES THERE ARE. You see, that the average white guy doesn't notice color is more important than how many black guys have managed to excel as football coaches. At least I think it is.

    1. I think you meant to say that the prison rates correlate to social economic status, and you are correct.

    2. With due respect, it would not have value to caucasions that the two SB coaches are African American, because it does not have a direct effect on your specific culture. This is a proud moment for African Americans and America at large.

    3. How did a statement of 3 out of 4 AFC North HCs being African American, turn into this?

    4. To say that you don't notice the color of a person's skin is the same a saying you don't notice that women have boobs and men don't. There is nothing wrong with being different. That is what America is all about and you know that. I don't desire all the HC in the NFL to be African American anymore than I want them to be all white.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    I've been through this crap with you on more than one occasion, and I don't have a desire to do it again. You're stubborn on the matter.

    Training on diversity? Are you serious? Are you implying that I'm somehow racist and ignorant because I don't advocate social promotion and the constant discussion of race? Do I know what diversity is? Isn't it an old, old wooden ship used during the Civil War era?

    And quit acting so innocent on the matter. Yes, your comment may not have warranted this type of reaction, but the implications of it are quite annoying. To be surprised that your comment elicited this type of response is nieve to say the least.

    I'm tired of being bombarded with racial issues. The constant discussion of "diversity" perpetuates racial divides. To not see that is beyond me.

    Sure, black kids see these guys as being coaches, great. Good for them. Maybe they shouldn't be so concerned with becoming a professional athlete in the first place, and their parents can stress education first.

    Blacks can do anything anyone else can do. There shouldn't be a difference. They don't need affirmative action and pandering from guilty liberals to achieve things in life. You should read Thomas Sowell. Hell, look him up on Wikipedia and you might learn something.

    EDIT: Rack Greg.
    In other words, minorities annoy you. In your opinion, America should be all one color since diversity annoys you. That's all you had to say. All you had to do was ignore the thread if you don't like the subject.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




  6. #36

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    In other words, minorities annoy you. In your opinion, America should be all one color since diversity annoys you. That's all you had to say. All you had to do was ignore the thread if you don't like the subject.
    Minorities annoy me? Diversity annoys me? Are you that dense? I guess this is your way of conceding.

    I see people as people. Period.

    To sum it up, I'm annoyed because I'm tired of the pandering. I don't know how that equates to being annoyed by minorties, but you can think whatever you want. I don't believe in giving one group of people special attention because of their race/sex/whatever. Sorry.
    Last edited by LBoogy; 01-23-2007 at 06:15 PM.




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    Minorities annoy me? Diversity annoys me? Are you that dense? I guess this is your way of conceding.

    I see people as people. Period.

    To sum it up, I'm annoyed because I'm tired of the pandering. I don't know how that equates to being annoyed by minorties, but you can think whatever you want. I don't believe in giving one group of people special attention because of their heritage. Sorry.

    Okay, that's your take. A bit of a cop out and escapism, but it's your take.

    I see America as having diverse people/ diverse groups, each bringing something unique to the table. With this historical event of having two African Americans coaching the SB is symbolic that:

    1. Not only white males are great at Head Coaching, but that those talents can come from any person of any culture. African American, Hispanic, or white.

    2. Breaks the stereotype that minorities ( especially African Americans) are not intelligent enough to be great NFL head coaches or GMs.

    Bottomline is that the symbolism of this historical achievement should make persons from all backgrounds feel good, not incite hostility.

    For whites, it shows that they are truly interested in a diverse NFL in the head coaching ranks.

    For minorities, it gives a positive symbol and hope for some young African American/Hispanic child that they will be seriously considered for ANY higher position in the NFL be it HC, GM, or even Owner.

    Will every coach be African American? Of course not, unless those guys are all the best person for the job.

    Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith have proven that they are not coaches just to fill a quota, but because they are great coaches. The fact that they are African American makes me feel pretty damn good.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,888

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    1. Not only white males are great at Head Coaching, but that those talents can come from any person of any culture. African American, Hispanic, or white.

    2. Breaks the stereotype that minorities ( especially African Americans) are not intelligent enough to be great NFL head coaches or GMs.
    Looks like only people like you and Big Media who want a story leading up to the Super Bowl (last year was Bettis going home to Detroit) are the ones who believe that stereotype still exists. I can tell you it never crosses my mind until I see it across the ESPN ticker for the 20,000th time.

    The fact that they are African American makes me feel pretty damn good.
    Why? Do you know either of them personally? Go to school with them? Lovie coach you in college? You feel some kind of spiritual connection to them because all 3 of you are black? That's kind of silly don't you think? What if every inbred, mullet wearing hick with a big chin started talking about how good they felt that Cowher finally won a Super Bowl?




  9. #39

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    Cop out? Huh?

    Arguing with you is like talking to a brick wall.

    And I completely understand your sentiments, PR. Having a racially diverse society is a good thing. But, it's something that should be left alone.

    As Losac said, I don't think about Dungy or Smith being black; not until the media shoves it in your face every chance they get. To me it's irrelevant, immature, petty, and ignorant to bring up such a thing.

    No one is REALLY interested in "diversity" if they are completely indulged in their own self-interest, because that's what is going on here.

    You are so caught up in being racially diverse, yet you say it feels pretty damn good that two black coaches are going to the SB. What the fuck does that mean? It sounds like your definition of diversity is pander to the black man.

    I'll say it again--and I don't know HOW this can be seen as a cop out--people are people. The day you stop referencing race, diversity, whatever, is the day that racial divides will cease to exist.

    And to respond to your alluding to the idea that we use race to point out crime statistics, etc. People are a product of their environments, not their skin color.
    Last edited by LBoogy; 01-23-2007 at 07:09 PM.




  10. #40

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    I for one *do* think it's interesting, and a (positive) sign of the times.

    Which is not to say I'm going to try to persuade anyone here; apparently this forum isn't a good place for this discussion (fine with me!) & I don't care to join in this circular argument.

    I just wanted to point out,
    > Looks like only people like you and Big Media
    is a bit of an overstatement.

    Ok, carry on. [ducks]
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    Cop out? Huh?

    Arguing with you is like talking to a brick wall.

    And I completely understand your sentiments, PR. Having a racially diverse society is a good thing. But, it's something that should be left alone.

    As Losac said, I don't think about Dungy or Smith being black; not until the media shoves it in your face every chance they get. To me it's irrelevant, immature, petty, and ignorant to bring up such a thing.

    No one is REALLY interested in "diversity" if they are completely indulged in their own self-interest, because that's what is going on here.

    You are so caught up in being racially diverse, yet you say it feels pretty damn good that two black coaches are going to the SB. What the fuck does that mean? It sounds like your definition of diversity is pander to the black man.

    I'll say it again--and I don't know HOW this can be seen as a cop out--people are people. The day you stop referencing race, diversity, whatever, is the day that racial divides will cease to exist.

    And to respond to your alluding to the idea that we use race to point out crime statistics, etc. People are a product of their environments, not their skin color.

    Save for the part where you said "people are a product of their environments and not their skin," you're wrong. The day that people learn to respect each other's differences will be when racial divides end and I'll leave this discussion on that note as this discussion has reached abused dead horse stage.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    Let's totally shift this discussion.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2740378 According to this link, the Steelgirls will lose another assistant; Russ Grimm. The Steelers will now have to learn a whole new system after 14 years of much the same system. This could cause a temporary setback in that organization.

    I think we can all agree here that we hate the black and gold, and anything that could hold them down is a potential positive for us.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Posts
    330

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    I did read somewhere that they are in fact retaining their DC.

    Im going to wait until after the draft (I would add FA but we know Pittsburgh doesnt participate) unil I write off the Toothless Ones.
    "This year, our attitude when were on the field is were attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton




  14. #44

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    That sucks. I was going to join in the argument but it's already over.

    Pooh.
    Last edited by darb72; 01-23-2007 at 08:29 PM.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,888

    Re: The Steelers new Coach is..(drumroll please)

    PurpleRulz should read this article:

    There's a lot of talk about hoping for a day when black coaches in the Super Bowl won't be a big deal, when we won't find it necessary to refer to a coach as a "black coach" (or any person by their race, for that matter).

    What's wrong with that day being today? Dungy and Smith have made history, and we happily acknowledge it. As for our practice of categorizing NFL head coaches, let's make that history, too.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ael&id=2740318




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland