Ravens were NEVER interested in Brandon Marshall

It’s interesting how many sources claim that the Ravens were in pursuit of Brandon Marshall. They never, ever seriously considered the guy. Read my lips…NEVER…that’s N-E-V-E-R!

Just because Marshall has game and wanted out AND everyone outside of the Ravens’ front office believes the team has a glaring need at wide receiver, media folk and fans alike pegged the Ravens to this malcontent.

The fantasy football-minded among you who supported the idea of Marshall in purple rationalized away this off the field train wreck’s transgressions by saying, “Who cares about the 13 run-ins with the law! How many CONVICTIONS has he had?”

Or what about this one: “His girlfriend is just a gold digger.” You know the one he’s allegedly used as a speed bag a time or 13?

More HERE

Re: Ravens were NEVER interested in Brandon Marshall

Good read.

My favorite line is the last.

PP

"It flies in the face of what John Harbaugh stands for and it really goes against an organizational philosophy that touches the players, the coaches, the scouts, the front office and the ownership."

That pretty much sums up the entire deal right there regarding Marshall and potentially any other perspective highly touted free agent with baggage that's undesirable.

Some of us kind of already knew this, but.......

And if they really wanted to spend the big bucks and draft picks on a receiver I think they would have gone after Boldin instead when he was the big trade prospect a couple months ago.

Similar type on the field qualitys with a hellava lot less baggage, and we never made a peep, yet people think we're going after a walking firestorm.:grbac:
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Wink Re: Ravens were NEVER interested in Brandon Marshall

You nailed it, Tony. That's perhaps the best article I have seen on your site -- no mincing of words. I agree with everything stated.

As to:

Then there were those who point at the troubled players that have made their way through Baltimore in the past. Bam Morris, Eric Green, Corey Fuller and Jamal Lewis – all have had skirmishes or worse with the law as a member of the Ravens’ organization. And let's not forget Atlanta and Ray Lewis.
    Note that none of these guys were hired by the Ravens after Bisciotti took over.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I do not think they were close to tempted to trade for a guy with that many injury and charichter questions, but only because the asking price was way too high. If the Bungles were asking for 2 #1 picks for Ochostinko so who knows what the actuall asking price in trade it was for Marshall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I do not think they were close to tempted to trade for a guy with that many injury and charichter questions, but only because the asking price was way too high. If the Bungles were asking for 2 #1 picks for Ochostinko so who knows what the actuall asking price in trade it was for Marshall.
    The most ridiculous part is that the Skins offered those two 1st rounders and the Bengals turned it down.

Two dysfunctional franchises. One asking too much yet getting lucky to have another meet those demands, then somehow rejecting the offer.

Priceless.

PP

I can't remember if it was a local talk radio or tv station had said they had dialogue with Denver!Probaly just kicking the tires!

Thank you Tony!

Finally some sanity in the Marshall debate.

Great read!

Blog Entries

Nice analysis.

One thing you said to tweak just a little
    [qoute]Future free agents may be more inclined to join the Ravens over clubs competing for their services because of the culture. All things being equal, do you think that the wife of a player looking at the quality of an organization might pick a team like the Ravens over another because they nurture an inviting value system? [/quote]

The tweak is 1- future and 2 - may be
    I think Birk agreeing to come here has taken it from "future maybe" to has happened already in the recent past and we have no reason to think that it won't continue.
    I remember reading that Birk's wife was impressed and supportive leaving Minny stunned.

What you are saying is spot on, just adding that we have seen it already start :happyanim

The Ravens were really, really, really, R-E-A-L-L-Y intrested in Marshall.

Just cause I said really three times and spelled it once doesn't make it true. Were the Ravens very intrested, or not intrested at all? I have no clue. I'd bet not very because we never heard about them calling the Broncos and we know there were never serious discussions. Maybe the Ravens called up the Broncos, heard the asking price then spent the next two hours trying to figure out exactly what was in Broncos' kool-aid.

We don't know what happened. We're not members of the Ravens' front office. I agree 100% with all the reasons you gave that the Ravens wouldn't really think about bringing in someone like Marshall and I never really considered him having a real shot at playing for our beloved 'Vens. However, the FO might have been looking at getting an established playmaker at WR for our developing QB.

Outside of the first couple of sentences, it was a good article. You're right about the types of players the Ravens are bringing in and hopefully the effect on future free-agents like Birk.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock