Thread: Derrick Martin

1. Derrick Martin

interesting article from baltimore sun:

"When Derrick Martin stepped in front of a John Beck pass Tuesday afternoon, the play was notable in that Martin wasn't playing in his usual position.

A cornerback since the Ravens drafted him in 2006, Martin is making the switch to safety – a position he hasn't played since his freshman year at Wyoming.

"It's just getting it back into my head, and it's different when you put the pads on and you're in that box and you've got to come down and make that tackle," Martin conceded. "But after I make that first hit, I'm going to be all right, I think."

Martin's decision was prompted by the presence of nine cornerbacks on the team's roster – three of whom played significant minutes last season ( Fabian Washington, Samari Rolle and Frank Walker) and three who were signed as free agents (Domonique Foxworth and Chris Carr) or draft picks (Lardarius Webb).

Defensive backs coach Mark Carrier said Martin's transition has been aided by his openness to the position change and his fondness for talking, but there is still a lot to learn.

"The big part is understanding the idiosyncrasies that we have and that guys have to play," Carrier said. "And I as a coach have to understand his strengths and weaknesses and help apply them to how we play and what we do with our safeties. We have a system that we stand by, but every guy has to find a place in our system, and that's what Derrick is kind of doing."

Martin, who said he is fully recovered from a torn labrum in his right shoulder, said he hasn't given up the idea of playing cornerback. But he's hoping that his versatility will make an impression with the coaching staff.

"I know safety, corner, nickel, dime," Martin said. "I've learned all the positions and everything. They could probably put me wherever, and I could do it pretty well."

The Ravens officially placed Derrick Mason on the reserve-did not report list Wednesday. That means Mason will not count against the team's 80-man roster limit.

The veteran wide receiver is still deciding whether he will stay retired or return to the Ravens. He was not expected to report to the team Wednesday. If Mason decides to come back, the Ravens can activate him off the list. The team would then have to cut a player to make room for Mason on the roster.

Tight end L.J. Smith did not practice Wednesday after suffering what he called a "minor muscle" problem in his hamstring Tuesday afternoon.

"It's just a minor thing," Smith said. "Nothing serious like my groin was [during Organized Team Activities]. In fact, my groin felt great. No problems with the groin. But I was out there by myself yesterday running routes in the heat, so I think it's just a little strain."

In addition to Smith, running back Willis McGahee (arthroscopic knee surgery) did not practice although he did run 100-yard sprints on an adjacent practice field at McDaniel College.

The team removed defensive tackle Lamar Divens and rookie tight end Davon Drew from the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list, and rookie linebacker Jason Phillips (left knee) appears close to coming off the PUP as well.

Wide receiver Jayson Foster, who is listed at 5 feet, 7 inches, is one inch shorter than running back Ray Rice, making Foster the shortest player on the club's roster. It's an obstacle Foster is quite familiar with.

"Definitely being a shorter receiver is a little bit of a disadvantage, but you've also got to use your speed and quickness to get open," said Foster, a second-year player who has spent time with the Dolphins, Broncos and Steelers and was signed by the team Tuesday. "So overall, you can't worry about being tall or stuff you can't control. You've just got to worry about doing the best you can and catching the ball."

Re: Derrick Martin

Why's he doing this? Don't we have four or five solid S right now?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    Maybe he's operating under the whole "the more you can do, the more you're worth" theory. If he ends up in a tie on the depth chart, his ability to play two spots makes him more valuable and thus harder to cut.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

4. Re: Derrick Martin

- C -
    It allows them the option of flexing more looks inside of a defensive alignment. Going from man, to nickel, to dime or whatever to confuse the QB that much more. This is exactly the time of the year you test such things to see what sticks and what doesn't.
    My tweets about anything Ravens, NFL or Fantasy Football!

- C -
    Anything to make the team. They are already talking about Webb as if he'll play corner.

At safety we have Ed, Landry, Haruki, Tom Z. He only has to beat out 1 of the 4.

We kept 5 Safety's last year, and Martin can play ST's. He might make it as a utility guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    We kept 5 Safety's last year, and Martin can play ST's. He might make it as a utility guy.
    Yeah if we're keeping five then I could see it. CB is actually fairly deep for us right now. Not elite at the top, but pretty deep with reasonably solid talent.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I think one of those guys playing safety are looking at 100 percent special teams play this year. There are too many CB's for Martin to really fit.

Also keep in mind Ivy is gone, so Martin may be a nickel or dime back.