Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Panthers Interested In Boller?

right. That's what it depends on ....Franchise-trading/not signing AD or trading Boller is a sign the team is going to go with ups and downs of getting value for a player or being conservative with respect to the cap.

It'll be a very interesting thing to see what happens.

looks like pure speculation, but its a good idea. i'd definitely pull the trigger on this if we could get a high draft pick.
    DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

While I agree that this might make sense for several reasons, I can't get past this commonly cited remark:

The players have no faith in him (I don't care what is publicly said), and the fanbase, for the most part, has no faith in Boller.
    "The players have no faith in him" -- and how do you know this? People are quick to trot out this Preston-like bullshit but can't back it up at all. Opinion presented as if it were fact.

And as far as the trade goes, Boller (I believe) has only one year left on his contract, so why not wait until he's a UFA and sign him then?

Making a trade for Boller would be interesting. Yes there is a need for a new start for him and Baltimore., butat the same time going into the 07 season, the team still would need a quality back up QB . Though we all have experienced Boller's comedy of errors, unless truly overwhelmed with a 2nd round pick... It may prove best to hold on to him.

5. Re: Panthers Interested In Boller?

Getting a high draft pick for boller doesnt mean we will get a good back up qb...only means a draft pick.....QB's in the draft rarely become good enough to back up right away. Id rather keep boller only trading him for another QB that needs different scenery.

I definitely dont want to go into 07 with only mcnair, olsen and some rookie qb's.
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan1996 View Post
    One thing you overlooked is that we have no back up QB if we get rid of Mcnair. Olsen is on the practice sqaud but very unproven. Kyle whether liked or not, did exactly what we need of him this year, come in and fill in for Mcnair when we needed him too. Id only trade boller for another QB that needs a change of scenery....dont know what that would be right now.

Not only did Kyle fill in very well for McNair, he put a spark into the offense when he came in. I would have loved to have had him in there in McNair's listless and ineffective games. He knows the offense, he has clearly improved, and there's hardly any reason to believe that McNair will be able to play all the games next season. Why bring in someone else who has to learn the system at this point? Isn't there a plan to make another SuperBowl run in 2007?

I think that Kyle will be a good quarterback, and I'm still hoping that it will be for the Ravens, although I acknowledge that there is an army of haters out there that will not give the kid a chance to succeed, no matter what.

Byron Leftwich? You're kidding, right?

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Doing this, at least as suggested, means we draft a guy (I assume high if you are talking grooming him under the assumption he will be good) to come in. Are we to go into next season with McNair, a rookie and a Olsen? Not it we want to win next year.

Face facts folks, Boller is NOT the future here in Baltimore. The players have no faith in him (I don't care what is publicly said), and the fanbase, for the most part, has no faith in Boller.
    The fans faith rises and falls with each appearance, save those in love and those in hate with Boller. It means nothing and it shouldn't.

The players who don't want their last shot to be with Boller aren't going to be here much longer. Again, non-issue.

Billick has not waivered in regard to Boller, nor has Ozzie. When they do you might have a signal. I doubt we trade away our insurance for next season on a 3rd or 4th round pick. Tell me, who have we drafted in either of those rounds that makes this worthwhile considering how important Boller was in the C-choke win? And this season McNair stayed quite healthy, what about next year?

Williams, Stokley and Mulitalo are the only guys I would say we have gotten out of those rounds worth this gamble. So after 20 plus picks we got 3 guys. Less than a 15% chance we trade Boller for one of these guys? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Doing this, at least as suggested, means we draft a guy (I assume high if you are talking grooming him under the assumption he will be good) to come in. Are we to go into next season with McNair, a rookie and a Olsen? Not it we want to win next year.

The fans faith rises and falls with each appearance, save those in love and those in hate with Boller. It means nothing and it shouldn't.

The players who don't want their last shot to be with Boller aren't going to be here much longer. Again, non-issue.

Billick has not waivered in regard to Boller, nor has Ozzie. When they do you might have a signal. I doubt we trade away our insurance for next season on a 3rd or 4th round pick. Tell me, who have we drafted in either of those rounds that makes this worthwhile considering how important Boller was in the C-choke win? And this season McNair stayed quite healthy, what about next year?

Williams, Stokley and Mulitalo are the only guys I would say we have gotten out of those rounds worth this gamble. So after 20 plus picks we got 3 guys. Less than a 15% chance we trade Boller for one of these guys? I don't think so.

In the 4th round last season, we drafted Demetrius Williams.

Okay, we will fail to make the playoffs if Boller is not our backup. That's a riot! Clayton saved Boller's performance against the Panthers. Boller, to be fair, played well against the Stains, but that was based off of two good passes (to DW and Clayton). Folks are forgetting the bumbling and stumbling he did for the rest of the game.

Bakup QBs are a dime a dozen. Hell, Jeff Garcia is available. He came in and led the Eagles to the postseason. Backups are that for a reason and can be found easily.

I have nothing against Boller, but the conflict (and sometimes borderline hostility) that is demonstrated in the thread is a reason why Boller needs a fresh start.

Strike while his value is high and trade Boller if there is interest. We can replace him with either a high round drafted QB or just sign a backup from FA. Finding backups is not hard.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Anything short of a first rounder or DelHomme, this would be a mistake. Boller's contract is cap friendly, McNair is 34 going on 50, and really showed his deterioration the last two TD-less games. We need 2007 insurance, and probably a new starter in 2008, and Olson is a question mark.
    T, what kind of fantasy world are you living in?

A first rounder? Surely you are aware how teams value their 1st round picks.

Marshall Faulk went for a 2nd and 5th in his prime.

Corey Dillon went for a 2nd.

This isn't a slap at Boller at all. There are many players that are better than him that wouldn't go for a 1st rounder.

PP

Wink Re: Panthers Interested In Boller?

Fantasy world, PP? When did I say we'd actually receive a 1st rounder or Delhomme?

My point was it's a trade that shouldn't be made unless we were over-compensated (i.e. a 1st or Delhomme). Boller's worth may be a 2nd rounder, or a 3rd, but regardless of worth, we shouldn't pull off a deal because we will likely need a new starter in 2008, possibly some time 2007. IMHO (and I already know that the McNair-worshippers disagree, but so what?): the last two TD-less games and all the prime-time games are what we'll continue to see out of McNair, but moreso as his age shows.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Fantasy world, PP? When did I say we'd actually receive a 1st rounder or Delhomme?

My point was it's a trade that shouldn't be made unless we were over-compensated (i.e. a 1st or Delhomme). Boller's worth may be a 2nd rounder, or a 3rd, but regardless of worth, we shouldn't pull off a deal because we will likely need a new starter in 2008, possibly some time 2007. IMHO (and I already know that the McNair-worshippers disagree, but so what?): the last two TD-less games and all the prime-time games are what we'll continue to see out of McNair, but moreso as his age shows.
    Overcompensation is one thing. Sheer lunacy is another.

I do agree that dealing Boller now doesn't make much sense.

That is unless we plan on using a high pick on a QB this year. Im most definitely not high on Boller but with his cap # and the fact that McNair will be another year older, Im happy with him as our backup. And if he does push McNair for the starting spot in camp, Im cool with that too.

I would love to know if any other teams might be knocking on the door and asking about Boller. My bet is that they will lowball Ozzie big time and see if he bites. He won't IMO.

PP