Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Suggs contract: 6 years, $63 million

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    It's my belief that if the coordinator thought Suggs could get to the quarterback more consistently than he'd be getting his name called instead of dropping back into coverage.
    If 2 guys are supposed to block him and he drops into coverge, it makes it real easy on the rest of the pass rush. They force the O to use base and zone protection stuff, then move guys around to get great 1 on 1 matchups.

Sacks are also not as important a stat as hurries and Qb hits. It all adds up to Qbs running scared and throwing the ball up for grabs, where Reed takes it to the house.

Last year the pressure was there, the picks were there the #2 pass defense was there. It would not take much more in terms of coverage and sacks to get back to #1. I think just having Cbs up on WRs more often, and the ability to match up, will force the Qbs to hold the ball a little more than throw the jump balls to covered WRs.

Appears to save us around $3m. Add that to our current $5ish, and potential $3mish from Mason and we have space.

This is awesome. Great news.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post

Sacks are also not as important a stat as hurries and Qb hits.
    If you say so...................:insane:

In my opinion, NO player (in any sport) is worth that kind of money. That's just absurd. However, it's all relative, and if the Ravens plan to keep their most talented players, they have to pony up like any other team. Would you prefer them to become a franchise like the Orioles?

While it's a lot of money, it does appear to be pretty cap-friendly. I'm just glad that's one less player we have to worry about for a few years.

Sacks can be a deceptive stat, hurries and Qb hits show more about how productive the pass rush is than how many times they tackle the Qb with the ball in his hands. Detroit was 16th in sacks, but did not get picks. Teams just took sacks and then torched them the next time if no one was open.

Last year I watched a lot of Trevor Pryce because I thought getting him back would be huge for the rest of the D, and it was even though he did not get a ton of sacks himself. Pryce was always hitting Qbs and getting pressure. If you look at a lot of the picks last year, Pryce is the guy hitting the Qb when he throws it up for grabs. The Qb can see him coming because a lot of time he is over the center, and a lot of times even if he does not get the Qb, he is all the qb is able to see before someone else gets them.

There were recent seasons that Allen, Freeney, Peppers, Harrison and Porter and other 'elite' rushers have had low sack total seasons while still providing very good pressure and drawing constant double blocking.

Sacks can be a deceptive stat, hurries and Qb hits show more about how productive the pass rush is than how many times they tackle the Qb with the ball in his hands. Detroit was 16th in sacks, but did not get picks. Teams just took sacks and then torched them the next time if no one was open.

Last year I watched a lot of Trevor Pryce because I thought getting him back would be huge for the rest of the D, and it was even though he did not get a ton of sacks himself. Pryce was always hitting Qbs and getting pressure. If you look at a lot of the picks last year, Pryce is the guy hitting the Qb when he throws it up for grabs. The Qb can see him coming because a lot of time he is over the center, and a lot of times even if he does not get the Qb, he is all the qb is able to see before someone else gets them.

There were recent seasons that Allen, Freeney, Peppers, Harrison and Porter and other 'elite' rushers have had low sack total seasons while still providing very good pressure and drawing constant double blocking.
    You don't think Harrison and Ware get more hits and hurries than Suggs? Please................ Your argument while a shred of truth in it collectively it's bullshit. Suggs is getting paid elite money . If Harrison signs for 6 years at 51 million w/ a 10 million dollar bonus there is no way Suggs is worth 6/63 .

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    Only Peyton Manning has a bigger contract.

Another words, Suggs got QB $$.

Suggs is highest paid Defensive player which is what he wanted.

$60M with $30M in guaranteed money. Over $40M in guaranteed $$ in first two yrs. Better than Haynesworth deal.

Better than any deal in history next to Manning.

Suggs said he is glad it is over. He thought he had 50/50 chance of getting done but wasnt sure.

He said he definitely didnt want to be franchised again.

So much for the right player/right price Ozzie. No wonder you didnt try to get Boldin.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/
    It was about the kind of Qb money that Matt Stafford and Matt Cassel just got.

This deal lowers his cap number. That is all you need to know. His price vs value does not really impact the fan beyond that.

We know he was the right player. We do not know what the right price is, or what that saying means. it is what it is or whatever.

This deal lowers his cap number. That is all you need to know. His price vs value does not really impact the fan beyond that.
    Every signing impacts the ability of the team to bring in additional quality players. This isn't madden or MLB , the NFL has a salary cap in place and this is why the Ravens always seem to be hamstrung, giving players more than they're worth.

Adalius Thomas who IMO was more valuable and versatile @ 5 years at 35 million w/12 million dollar signing bonus was a much better deal .Ozzie got taken to the woodshed .

I had said my piece, I'll be reading good day all.
    Last edited by RustonRifle; 07-15-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, it is now a done deal, and we live with it and go on.
    Its like we are married to him for the next 5-6 years.
    Always a little scary, but he has a really nice track record and we don't expect to be having discussions like we were having last year about Willis and if there was any way he could be jettisoned,
    Oz has rolled the dice and we now have a core piece locked up for better or worse, hopefully better :)
    Now to see what happens with the new financial avenues that have opened.

11. Re: Suggs contract: 6 years, $63 million

I agree that contracts have nothing to do about what they players are truly worth. We could argue all day about who should be paid the most money in the league.

The deal lowers Suggs' cap number and that's what the team really needed.

Now they can squarely focus on calling Mr. Mason's bluff.

Suggs needed to be locked down. Period. More sacks than anyone else in the last 5 years? 3 Time pro bowler? Defensive rookie of the year? The guy is only 26 and already has 7 years of experience in the league. He has everything a good FO should be willing to spend money on: proven commodity, young, and high potential. He works well in our system and there was no way Ozzie was going to let him go. In Ozzie we trust.