Is Suggs' Agent nickel and diming the Ravens?

Sources have indicated that the Ravens’ current offer approaches that of Jared Allen’s deal which edged Freeney’s slightly, 6 years, $74 million with $31 million guaranteed. Wichard is looking to leap frog Allen’s agent Ken Harris and re-claim the top paid defender title and Suggs is just the man to make that happen.

Wichard will probably haggle over details right up to the 11th hour.

More here on Suggs as well as Barnes, Webb & Nakamura

Re: Is Suggs' Agent nickel and diming the Ravens?

He's an agent, so yes. Also, only a fool would be unaware of what his agent is seeking, so they both are.
    There is only absolute black and absolute white, all else are shades of gray.

Blog Entries

Of course he will haggle until the last minute, with no major roadblocks it can get wrapped up very quickly when the deadline is very close.
    But I don't see that as a necessarily bad thing for the Ravens.
    Bad in the sense we can't move forward with others, but we do keep a 80 man roster spot occupied before having to make room for him. So we have a little more evaluation time, and insurance against a freak injury elsewhere.

I am correct right? than when he signs, someone is going to have to be dropped?

The day Freeney signed his deal I said it was over for signing Suggs.

2 years later I am still in that camp.

The Colts destroyed the market for defensive players and the ripple effects have been massive.

I hope he doesn't sign because frankly he ain't worth that kind of money.I don't care how "versatile" he is.He doesn't get to the QB enough.....simple as that.You say "well he is dropping back in coverage a lot".....I say that makes him even LESS valuable because he is playing LB if that's the excuse.

He should be paid right in between an average DE and linebacker,yet he wants top DE money with nothing to back it up as far as production.There is a HUGE gap in that pay grade with a premier DE and a LB.

Ozzie....DON'T throw them a bone.

I don't see Suggs getting signed long term before the 15th is come and gone. I would like it to happen, but it's not going to. Suggs wants his money and he'll sign the tender before taking a 'decent' pay.

What happened to the home town discount?

With the current market I believe the Hometown Discount is roughly 35-45 cents. I believe his comment about both sides getting closer is just a posturing move to make him look better when he refuses to sign long term here for what he deserves. He can say he "doesn't understand" why things suddenly stopped moving forward. He had no choice but to test the market in 2010.
    There is only absolute black and absolute white, all else are shades of gray.

Suggs is out for himself, period! I hope that I am wrong, but I don't think so.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Suggs is out for himself, period! I hope that I am wrong, but I don't think so.
    Of course he's out for himself... you're telling me that if someone offered you 1 million dollars and you knew for a fact you could get 2 from someone else, you would take the million?

Keep in mind that your only one play away from not seeing a shit ton of that money in the event of injury or decline in skill.

I have no problem with any player trying to get the best deal for himself, in the offseason, that's his job. The front office's job is to try to get the best players the team can afford.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

SOP for Ozzie. Wait two years too long and pay a ton more than you would have had to before. typical.