Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Jamal's words are loud and clear

An except from the Aaron Wilson article today:

The main difference, through, came through in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage where McNair’s intangibles and aggressive, confident approach were evident.

“Just his presence is different, he’s an experienced guy,” Lewis said. “You want to play for him. You want to play behind him. I love it. Just get used to it, I’m sure there are good things coming.”

Those few words by Jamal speak volumes to me. Maybe one guy can make a huge difference. I am starting to feel like we will at least have a chance to win each week. I didn't feel that way last year w/ Boller at QB.

FM

You could be right Fanman, and I sure hope you are. That kind of enthusiasm is infectious and I hope the whole offense feels the new surge. I cannot wait for the season to get underway.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I mentioned this on YBR, but the amount of comments like this from all the players is astounding. It seems to me that a lot of our locker room problems came from the defense turning on the offense. And then the offense's failings being personified in Boller.

From Heap to Jamal to Mason to the O-lineman they are all saying how much better things are ie more relaxed and confident with McNair at QB. This implies that Boller is not these things.

Hopefully all the past negativity is behind us and the love in the locker room is still there at the end of the season.

When you bring 12 years of experience along with MVP's, Pro-Bowl's, and a trip to the show, I would imagine that tends to bring along with it a certain "aura".

If you think about it this has gone on beyond just Boller. Redman, GrBac, Banks, etc:. There's a lot of things that make this advantageous, including the fact that Mason has only played with McNair the bulk of his career. That can't hurt.

I still am concerned. Before we go setting a place on the mantle for the replica Lombardi trophies, I want to see that offensive line hold up against a real defensive threat. The Eagles will actually be a good test of that. I know everyone says the team will only go as far as McNair and even McNair/Boller. But IMO the team is only going to go as far as the OL.

If the OL can't keep opening holes or protecting the QB, these good feelings will disappear pretty quick.

That said, I can't WAIT until Thursday!!!

I too can't wait for Thursday! Jamal seems to have his mind set on one thing; football. I'm VERY pleased with our teams chemistry.

It's going to be real interesting, to see what McNair can do for this 'O'. We got a glimpse last Friday. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come...

Great point Sting; to say it's just Boller is shortsighted on my part. McNair seperates himself from the litany of sub par QBs we have paraded through here over the years. We forget that players like Ray and Ogden have been here for all of them.

I can't wait for Thursday!

The thing about our QB's, is that none of them have left us (the Ravens) & gone on to be superstars somewhere else in the league. Which would imply that it hasn't been bad coaching. The talent simply hasn't been there...

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that on you at all GreenWave. It's just pretty obvious that having someone not just of the talent, but of the personality of McNair seems to spread on the players. Elvis Grbac had the talent. But he wasn't nearly as personable. Redman, Boller, Wright, etc:, all personable. But none of them with nearly the experience and accomplishment (by default) of a Steve McNair.

I'll give you a case in point just on Friday's game. And you guys know how I feel about Boller. But when Boller misses a pass, he get's that constipated face and his teammates have to come over and pat him on the helmet to let him know it's ok. With McNair, even after he almost threw the pick on the first drive, there wasn't a hint of that in his face. He got RIGHT back in the huddle and 2 plays later hit Heap for 17 yards and a first down. It was like the bad throw never even happened.

And I'm sure in his first couple of years, Steve probably had those moments too. But he doesn't anymore, with 12 years of playing. So that lifts the rest of the team. I like that. It makes me believe more and more that we're really going to be ok this season.

Blog Entries
    I was a big Jamal detractor in the preseason, but after watching him run against the Giants, I'm back on board. He looked 1000% better.

Apparently they were lining him up closer to the LOS...whatever it was, keep doing it!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Jamal's words are loud and clear

Trap:

I am the original fanman that's been on the Ravens forum on BaltimoreSun.com since 1999. I am in Nest 14.

I hope the confidence on offense leads to more 3rd down conversions and better red zone scoring. We have stunk in those categories for years.

FM

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Re: Jamal's words are loud and clear

Hopefully everything is coming together on offense.

Good Attitude.Belief.Leadership.Good solid fundamental execution of the plays.
    Teamwork.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.