The Orioles are in the wrong division-The competitive imbalance in MLB

After years and years of finishing third, fourth, and no where close to October baseball, I believe its time to think about moving the Baltimore Orioles to the National League. The New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox will continue to dominate this league for years to come due to their endless payrolls and ability to attract big name free agents. The Orioles can simply no longer compete with this type of domination, and it might not be a bad idea for baseball to move this club to the National League along with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. I have come up with a few ideas to improve the competitive balance in the game of baseball. I know this is mostly wishful thinking, but its somethin to think about.

Take the New York Mets, and the Atlanta Braves, and move them to the AL East. This way, you would have the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Atlanta Braves, New York Mets and Toronto Blue Jays all in one division, fighting for the division crown. This would be the most competitive and dominant division in baseball. This would leave the NL East to having the Florida Marlins, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Baltimore Orioles, and Washington Nationals all in one division, giving each team a better chance to make the post season. While this would weaken the NL East, it would be fiercely competitive due to the geographic locations between the teams, creating intense rivalries. Could you imagine the Orioles and Nationals fighting for the division crown and a chance to go to the playoffs in late September? Thats a hell of a lot better than watching these teams dwindle in the bottom of their divisions throughout the dog days of summer, and just waiting around for football season to come instead of getting excited about October baseball.

I know this may never happen, but it would make the MLB more attractive and competitive, and I think Bud Selig might do the game some good by looking in to ways to improve the league. Just a thought.....
    DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

2. Re: The Orioles are in the wrong division-The competitive imbalance in MLB

While I understand your frustration, tucking tail and running is never the answer. The precedent it would set would create chaos. Every year there would be a handful of teams who think they can do better somewhere else.

That said- It would not surprise me to see Satan invent a reason that we need to change divisions that has nothing to do with being competitive. You know- nudge nudge wink wink.

Re: The Orioles are in the wrong division-The competitive imbalance in MLB

I've had discussions with othere about this very topic. The O's should move to the NL East as they have better balance agains the Phillies and the Nationals but this would also bolster the rivaleries between all the teams.

AND anything to move them out of the Red Sox and Yankees division is a plus! :P

4. Re: The Orioles are in the wrong division-The competitive imbalance in MLB

Give me a freaking break.
    No real Oriole fan would advocate leaving the division.
    Talk about lowering the bar.

What happens when you win the new division and face boston or ny in the playoffs?

This train of thought(change divisions) makes me sick!

Why stop there? Why not just move us to triple-A? We'd have a much better shot at a title. :grbac:

that just won't happen because all the major market teams "have" to make the postseason...kind of like how the basketball world about fell over when the Lakers didn't make the playoffs...all because they want that LA media market to pay attention....without mentioning the fact that team didn't come close to deserving a slot.

So none of the owners would ever sign up for it, even if it might seem like a reasonable request...and MLB is too interested in keeping those big media markets (and income) flowing in. No better way to reduce the number of viewers than to put 4 of the biggest teams in terms of fanbase and market in the same division where you're essentially guaranteeing that 2 won't make it to the postseason.