Thread: Iran Elections

Iran Elections

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/...ion/index.html

Wanted to get everyones opinion on the current situation in Iran. IMO its both sad and great. Its great to see so many Iranians out protesting wanting their voice to be here. Fighting for democracy. Not accepting the BS election results.

On the other hand its sad to see that Ahmadinejad has such a strangle hold on the country that the election pretty much was a farce. The only way they will overturn this election is probably a civil war. But that means the USA will probably get involved and my next deployment will be to Iran.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Re: Iran Elections

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/...ion/index.html

Wanted to get everyones opinion on the current situation in Iran. IMO its both sad and great. Its great to see so many Iranians out protesting wanting their voice to be here. Fighting for democracy. Not accepting the BS election results.

On the other hand its sad to see that Ahmadinejad has such a strangle hold on the country that the election pretty much was a farce. The only way they will overturn this election is probably a civil war. But that means the USA will probably get involved and my next deployment will be to Iran.
    I think it has been fascinating news since Friday. I was watching the blogs throughout the day. Today (Monday) its even more interesting. Most of the people who understand the dynamics of the electorate just couldn't believe that Ahmadinejad would have done so well in the urban areas and were suggesting that this meant there could be rigging. It would be like McCain doing better than Obama in the East or the West of the U.S. Mousavi was expected to do better than Ahmadinejad in the younger, more educated populated cities.

Supreme Leader Khamenei initially endorsed Ahmadinejad re-election but today has asked for an investigation. For a religious leader of Iran to ask for an investigation that could only support a reformist over a guy that essentially licks the balls of the supreme leader is pretty huge.

While most will disagree and Trap will start quoting Rush ignorant apology rebuttals, but this is a product of Obama annd the Cairo speech. You might not have to go to Iran Dade because there is a subtle but robust unspoken diplomacy that is occuring around the world as a result of Obama's election. Those who voted for Mousavi in Iran (and Mousavi is no Obama by any means but he is far more western oriented than Ahmadinejad) are similar to the Obama voters...and this is generally speaking but they were younger, better educated, more curious about the world, less fundamental in their religious views etc. These Iranians want their freedom, want their rights to education, want their western belief structures and western commodities.

I think the Iranian election is maybe more interesting than the past U.S. election because if Iran can turn on its axis through Obama diplomacy over the next 4 years it shifts the Bush - conservative idea that democracy comes from forcing it onto people vs. democracy or freedom/peace coming from diplomacy and honest and open communication. Look at Iraq for the past 8 years and now watch Iran over the next 4.

Today's news also has Netanyahu reversing the 2 state solution for Israel-Palestinian peace. That is absolutely connected to the Cairo speech as well as is the recent Lebanese election. None of thses things would be occuring if McCain won the election. You would probably be in Iran right now if McCain had won. I hope that never happens to you or any American. We'll have to watch Iran and hope it isn't similar to the Tiananmen Square protests but true reform pushes forward.

I read a pretty good article in Newsweek about the current state of Iran. They mentioned the elections and that Ahmadinejad had a real chance in losing. I bet he realized that too which is why they cracked down and tampered with the results. Sad to say its the same in this country minus the violence. People don't care enough to riot.

This is an amzing youtube video about a woman's thoughts on Friday night in Iran:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKUZuv6_bus

I think at this point there are only two options....one being nasty bloodshed or two, Mousavi takes over. I really don't believe too much in the latter. It seems like a lot of Iranians are thinking tht way as well and think Saturday could be a tipping point.