Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Sometimes it's Better to Have to "Settle" for Your Second Choice

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    I believe Oz wanted Suggs all along because he knew he was the better athlete. I mean, look how things turned out. Suggs is all world while Leftwich bombed out faster than Boller did here. Is he still in football?
    Leftwich is currently battling for the starting QB back postion in Tampa Bay with former Brownies QB Luke McCown, Last years 5th round draft pick Josh Johnson, and this years 1st rounder Josh Freeman.

Blog Entries

Leftwich should make the team. He's better than McCown and Josh Johnson is a major project.

Leftwich will probably start the 1st half of this season while they figure out if the rook, Freeman, will be able to go.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel#52 View Post
    Leftwich is currently battling for the starting QB back postion in Tampa Bay with former Brownies QB Luke McCown, Last years 5th round draft pick Josh Johnson, and this years 1st rounder Josh Freeman.
    Isn't that the definition of "bombed out" for a #7 overall pick?

Quote Originally Posted by shaslers View Post
    Isn't that the definition of "bombed out" for a #7 overall pick?
    Let's get the full understanding that I was fully in agreement that he has bombed out.

Leftwich's college injuries always made him a risky investment at best anyway.

His selection by the Jags was a gamble that eventually cost them somewhat, yet allowed them to discover the diamond in the rough that is Garrard.

No one mentioned Jon Ogden.
    Because he was Oz' first choice. No "settling" involved.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Trap, you're right about Art preferring Phillips. But the point is that they had their choice between Phillips and Ogden, and took Odgen. So that's not an example of settling for a second choice. That's an example of a near miss...making the right decision.

Troy Smith is another example, of sorts, of settling for a second choice, according to some who believe the Ravens were interested in fellow Cleveland native, Brady Quinn and the Browns wanted him more. It remains to be seen which is the better player. At this point Smith, a fifth rounder, seems like a better value.

Not according to Art who owned the team HR. Art wanted Phillips and had to be talked out of it as posted above but let Oz make the decision.
    Trap, most of the regular posters on the board, including myself, are familiar with that chapter in Ravens history. The Ravens FO was split - the owner wanted Philips, the GM wanted Ogden. They went with Ogden, making him their first choice. They never had to "settle." They had to decide, and they did.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Yeah but the one big settle no one has brought up is Harbaugh over Jason Garrett.

When Garrett and his wife left the castle after the initial discussion about the position his wife looked like she had something bad in her mouth but couldn't spit it out. She did not look happy.

I'm so glad we got Harbaugh. I really really like his leadership skills and vision. Plus he knows how to hire great assisstants. I"m also curious to see how his drafting/recruting "character" guys pays off-or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    Yeah but the one big settle no one has brought up is Harbaugh over Jason Garrett.

Good call.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

11. Re: Sometimes it's Better to Have to "Settle" for Your Second Choice

DAVE - You are right about Garrett. I remember the look on his face when he walked out of the Castle. I mean he had a mean look on it like he didnt even want the job.

I knew then he wasnt gonna take it.

Give him credit, he got $3M for being just a coord - about $1M more than HARB got for being head coach but we got the right guy but HARBs offense ran thru his for 2 TDs of over 70 yds each.

I'VE BEEN HIRING PEOPLE FOR OVER 25 YEARS AND IT HAS WORKED OUT PRETTY GOOD FOR ME.

STEVE BISCIOTTI
    harbs was already rated as a top-10 coach in the league after one season. he is perfect for the team the FO wanted to build and i can't wait for the harbaugh-flacco dynasty this next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post

When Garrett and his wife left the castle after the initial discussion about the position his wife looked like she had something bad in her mouth but couldn't spit it out. She did not look happy.

I'm so glad we got Harbaugh. I really really like his leadership skills and vision. Plus he knows how to hire great assisstants. I"m also curious to see how his drafting/recruting "character" guys pays off-or not.
    It still remains to be seen how good of a HC Garrett will be. I believe he will be a better HC than coordinator. I do think the Ravens go lucky in not landing him instead of Harbaugh. Without Harbaugh I highly doubt Cam would be the OC and Hue would be the QB coach. Those two are directly responsible for the successful offense with rookie Flacco. Hopefully we can say the same things about Mattison after this year!