Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. GREAT article, Dev!

http://www.profootball24x7.com/colum...5&view=archive

I so trust in your knowledge of the game and of the Ravens, Dev! :happyanim
    This is good stuff!

Wink Re: GREAT article, Dev!

Good counter to the arguments tossed around in favor of a high draft pick for a WR or trading a King's ransom for Boldin.

btw: where have you been, Dev? You used to be such a good contributor to the message board.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: GREAT article, Dev!

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    We need a deep threat like Boldin down the sideline who can catch up to Joe's long passes.

Just my humble fu*king opinion.
    Boldin had 89 catches and averaged 11.7 yards per grab. Compare that to Mason who had 80 catches for 13 yards per catch.

Now compare those numbers to deep threats like Steve Smith's 18.2 yards per catch or Vincent Jackson's 18.6 or Calvin Johnson's 17.1. All 1000 yard receivers who with much higher YPC numbers.

Boldin is a damn good receiver, but he's a possession receiver. Would he make us better? Absolutely, but he wouldn't necessarily drastically alter our offense like Moss did for New England.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

I agree with Dev as well. A guy like Boldin would have been nice, the price wasn't right so we will improve from within.

I was never concerned with this WR situation of ours. I mean sure, it would have been nice to add a new deep threat, but it just didn't work out that way in the draft or with trades. I do think we have enough talent to win with what we have (especially with a healthy Demetrius Williams)

And frankly, just look at the Giants. Everyone still considers them contenders, and their WR situation is worse than ours (the other Steve Smith and Domenik Hixon are their starters). It's great to have great receivers, but I'd rather have a great defense, thanks

We have seen all 3 of our top Wrs get open and make plays on deep passes. It has been the QB play and protection that has been more unpredictable. In 2006 even with not much arm strength or production from the run game, the pass attack was effective with Mason, Heap, Clayton and Williams. If we can get anything from a #2 TE and 4th WR, we should be good to go in the pass attack with a much more powerful rushing attack than we have had in many years setting the tone and grinding the defense down.

I like Boldin a lot, but anybody who says he is a deep threat really does not know what they are talking about and has not really watched him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I like Boldin a lot, but anybody who says he is a deep threat really does not know what they are talking about and has not really watched him play.
    He did not run many deep routes this year, but only because Fitzgerald and Breston did that better while he was a better possesion Wr and screen and slants guy.

He has had seasons where he ran more of the routes more often. Last year was his 2nd lowest ypc year but his most TDs.

In our attack he would go vert more often than he does now. Clayton and Mason run the short routes fine but are not very big targets deep. Boldin can get up and box out with the best of them, just not like Fitz who is sort of like Jordan when he jumps into a crowd and makes the play anyway.

http://www.nfl.com/players/anquanbol...e?id=BOL283010

I still do not think he is worth what it would take to get him, but he is an all around great Wr who does have deep ball skills as well as running back like power in the open.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    We have seen all 3 of our top Wrs get open and make plays on deep passes. It has been the QB play and protection that has been more unpredictable. In 2006 even with not much arm strength or production from the run game, the pass attack was effective with Mason, Heap, Clayton and Williams. If we can get anything from a #2 TE and 4th WR, we should be good to go in the pass attack with a much more powerful rushing attack than we have had in many years setting the tone and grinding the defense down.
    and add in the RB out of the backfield. Didn't Lydell Mitchell lead our team in receptions at least one year? Can you just picture Rice with the ball quickly in the flat? And a mobile Oher to seal it off for him?

And yes Dev, nice writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    and add in the RB out of the backfield. Didn't Lydell Mitchell lead our team in receptions at least one year? Can you just picture Rice with the ball quickly in the flat? And a mobile Oher to seal it off for him?

And yes Dev, nice writing.
    Yeah, good comparison to Rice as Lydell also had that inate ability to make that first guy miss. It was his best attribute along with a great set of hands. Rice looks like he has that same talent. Surprisingly, not that many RB's have that ability, after the catch, to consisitently get by their man one on one coming out of the flat/backfield.

We really missed the dump off or flat pass in our passing game last year and that is an area where we SHOULD do better this season.

Now if Rice has hands as good as Lydells and runs patterns as well......

11. Re: GREAT article, Dev!

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    effo - Great comparison on Mason and Bolden. I didnt know that but it seems Bolden still is a bigger threat than Mason and dont forget, Mason is still injured and a year older.

W - I said Bolden was deep threat. You said he wasnt but had deep ball skills.

Seems like the same thing to me.

Whatever I meant, he could get deep.

And yes, he costs too much but if he got us into the SB, I said If,

he would be worth whatever the cost for another trophy - maybe two.
    boldin had some big plays, but they weren't on deep balls that he got by the secondary. he doesnt have the speed (4.55-4.6 i believe) to stretch the field like everyone says we need, but he would most definitely be the best offensive weapon on the field for us. his YAC is great (which cam loves), but may have also been a function of a spread out cardinals offense and larry fitzgerald next to him...

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    boldin had some big plays, but they weren't on deep balls that he got by the secondary. he doesnt have the speed (4.55-4.6 i believe) to stretch the field like everyone says we need, but he would most definitely be the best offensive weapon on the field for us. his YAC is great (which cam loves), but may have also been a function of a spread out cardinals offense and larry fitzgerald next to him...
    He can and has made deep catches without getting a ton of seperation, just by out fighting the defender for the ball and using his great hands and timing. The pass he got knocked out on shows that he is willing and able to go over the middle and fight for the ball even if it really does not matter, and he may get killed. If he lands before the saftey gets there, they are the one in trouble, like when he ran right through Landry in 2006 for a long TD.

I doubt he would be as effective an underneath route runner if the defenders did not respect his speed and ability to get past them. He is one of those guys that you can forget the stopwatch, he is not a track guy, but he is one hell of a football player, most likley the best WR by far we could get in a trade with Edwards and Ocho Stinko in our division.

I would love to fleece the Cards for him, 2nd round pick tops, and get him and sign him to a long term cap savy deal with gauranteed money but not a ton of bonus money. I just figure the Cards would squat on him rather than give him up for less than a 1st or he would already be gone, and his demands are too high or he would have been extended.