Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YaGONE Figurs?

YaGONE Figurs?

Anyone know what's going on here? Apparently he's been absent from a couple of practices.

Blog Entries

Re: YaGONE Figurs?

I think the signing of Carr and the drafting of Webb put a stamp on Figurs' days as a Raven.

Unless he can become a valuable WR and fight for a roster spot that way...but I dont see that happening.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Yamons only hope is at receiver now. There are two many players on the team that can be a returner now. His elite speed will have to be used on offense if he wishes to be a Raven this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Yamons only hope is at receiver now. There are two many players on the team that can be a returner now. His elite speed will have to be used on offense if he wishes to be a Raven this year.
    And I don't see much hope of even that happening. We have a glut of average receivers with decent speed now. He's just one of many. As a returner, he scared the shit outta me every time he received the ball. I kept waiting for that ball to pop out every time someone touched him. Luckily, he was never as bad as Lamont Brightful.

Good Riddance

Maybe again it is the purple eyed optimist in me, but going into last year I had high hopes for Figurs off an impressive rookie year. He was so small I thought he would have to get a lot stronger to be as effective as he was in college, but saw him as a Rosco Parrish or maybe even a Hester type of player that is never going to run anyone over, but can make a guy miss and out run the rest.

He still has the potential to be an effective punt returner and 3rd or 4th WR. I think his days as a KR are over, but even the Bears took Hester off KR because it is a good way to get your litte fast guy killed. Sooner or later some linebacker saftey or even worse a DL player hits them at full speed and the physics are not pretty.

I think he can be a weapon as a WR. He does have the speed to run by almost any Cb that does not give him a cushion if he can get off the line. Just having him run 4 or 5 sprints a game on the D should at lest wind a CB for the next play and have them chasing Clayton or Mason a little slower. I think he also could be used in the Suggs packages as a reverse to where Troy goes or pitch man on an option. He also could run bubble screens pretty easy if his Cb is giving a cush. Even if only for 5 or 6 plays a game, he could be a threat or decent deep decoy. I have not seen him drop the ball very many times, just not get out of the way like a guy with his speed should.

He should have all of the pre season to carve out a role, and he was decent enough as a punt gunner and a return man as rookie to have a good chance to make the final 53.

Harbaugh is collecting tough "football players" that are able to be versatile. Figurs is, at best, a one trick pony. He has been a good gunner on punts, but every other aspect of his game is weak. He is a goner

Blog Entries

Tony mentioned something from an earlier camp, where Figurs took his eye off the ball and looked at the safety (on no contact to boot).
    I'll be watching Figurs to see if his fear of getting hit follows him (which I suspect it will) to the WR spot. First example of alligator arms I see will tell me that he is indeed history. It will not be his speed or his skills as a receiver that decides things, but if he can't sell out to try to make a tough catch, then he is not a Raven.

Here's my thing on Figurs, he sucks!

I love guys with speed and he has a ton of it, but that's all he has. He rarely shakes anyone out of their shoes, he never breaks away from contact and he dos nothing to get in the open field to use his speed. He looks like a kid out there playing a mans game when he is receiving a ball. He is no good to the team, IMO.

When I think of Figurs as a receiver I....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    He should have all of the pre season to carve out a role, and he was decent enough as a punt gunner and a return man as rookie to have a good chance to make the final 53.

Barring injuries to others, I don't think he has a chance of making the roster. Harbaugh squeezed one position of depth by replacing Stover and the long kicker. I don't expect Harbaugh to keep PR who isn't also a WR (offsetting the Stover move), and Figurs is likely around 6th or 7th on the WR depth chart.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Figurs only had a good half of a season.

He was pretty good the first half of his rookie year, and then he just lost it. He started not knowing when to take a fair catch or not, he dropped a couple punts and in general looked scared/unsure of himself. It got so bad Billick started replacing him on punt returns with Ed Reed and various other guys...at that point I started to get an idea that he has some serious issues if he wants to be a real football player.

Then last year it just got even worse.

We have 3 guys this year that can return kicks and are either very good at it in the league now or were in college...Carr, Zibkowski and Webb. As for a gunner...Carr was very good at that as well as Marcus Smith.

Figurs was a combine workout guy who we drafted based on his speed. I don't remember who was our WR coach in 07, but I remember Decosta said in an interview he specifically asked him did he think Figurs could really be a WR...and the coach was emphatic in saying that he could. Well, it certainly doesn't look promising.

There is just no room on the roster for Figurs,he might as well pack his bags now.

The additions of Carr and Webb were the final nails in the coffin for him and if he wasn't already viewed as expendable he sure as hell is now.