Hybrid View

Sporting News Today - Ngata 4th best

They say Ngata is the 4th best DT in the league!

Top 5 (they rated 20)

Albert Haynesworth
    Kevin Williams
    Vince Wilfork
    Haloti Ngata
    Chris Canty

extended him Oz!

Blog Entries

Re: Sporting News Today - Ngata 4th best

Yes, hurry before they realize he's #1! God, if Hayesworth is worth 100 mil...

The crazy part is he still has several years of IMPROVING left to do. Man, what an upside. We'd better lock him up ASAP, before he ends up collapsing O-lines for someone else.

UNLEASH THE BEASTS!!!!

I really don't think there is anyone more valuable to our defense right now. Everything we do on D starts with him plugging the hole. Definitely worth top $. Get 'er done Ozzie!

Can you post the link?
    Last edited by hookml; 05-21-2009 at 09:11 AM.

I'll probably be a rare dissenting voice in this thread but their rankings for Wilfork, Ngata and Canty are all extremely generous in my opinion. Wilfork and Ngata are both tremendous against the run but aren't rounded football players, neither's ability as a pass rusher is good enough for me to consider them top 5 DTs, and as for Canty, he's barely played a down as a 4-3 DT in his career, he was a 3-4 end in Dallas and when he was in for their 4 man lines in passing situations it was at end as often as tackle.

Ngata's run defence isn't far short of being as good as there is, but his pass rushing is distinctly average, there are more than 3 better all-round DTs in the NFL CURRENTLY than Ngata for my money.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    I'll probably be a rare dissenting voice in this thread but their rankings for Wilfork, Ngata and Canty are all extremely generous in my opinion. Wilfork and Ngata are both tremendous against the run but aren't rounded football players, neither's ability as a pass rusher is good enough for me to consider them top 5 DTs, and as for Canty, he's barely played a down as a 4-3 DT in his career, he was a 3-4 end in Dallas and when he was in for their 4 man lines in passing situations it was at end as often as tackle.

Ngata's run defence isn't far short of being as good as there is, but his pass rushing is distinctly average, there are more than 3 better all-round DTs in the NFL CURRENTLY than Ngata for my money.
    But do those dudes drop into coverage or play on offense like Ngata? Talk about well rounded!

Two things, 1. Ngata isn't supposed to be rushing the QB in our scheme... He's supposed to be eating blockers so Suggs, Gooden, Ray, and JJ can eat QBs. 2... Name the ones you think are better than Ngata.
    I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats. -Ray Lewis

Dude don't make bold proclamations like that without backing them up. Who else is better?? Ngata is extremely athletic and well rounded. He played the part given to him by Rex Ryan and did it very well. The dude was getting doubled and tripled on plays and you expect him to also be a top rusher?

Where are you getting this stuff? The interception in the end zone- that probably won the game in Houston- was one of the most athletic plays I've ever seen by a d-lineman.
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"