Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: James Harrison = Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    He's back in the news today, the family pit bull attacked his 2 year old son. I hope the kid is alright, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, on the other hand, who keeps a pit bull where it can get to a 2 year old?
    I love my pit. Love him to death. Sleep with him in bed with me. But I very carefully monitor how he interacts with my kids and always have them separated if my wife or I isn't there to directly supervise them.

Its called common sense, and its apparently running low these days.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    I love my pit. Love him to death. Sleep with him in bed with me. But I very carefully monitor how he interacts with my kids and always have them separated if my wife or I isn't there to directly supervise them.

Its called common sense, and its apparently running low these days.
    Actually, common sense would be to not own a pitbull if you have small children.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac View Post
    Actually, common sense would be to not own a pitbull if you have small children.
    Remmi is a great dog with kids. They can pull his tail and ears and stick their hands in his nose... and he loves it. Try that with the average poodle and see how far it gets you.

But I recognize that any dog his size is capable of a lot of damage to a young child, so I'm responsible.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Thumbs down Re: James Harrison = Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    Remmi is a great dog with kids. They can pull his tail and ears and stick their hands in his nose... and he loves it. Try that with the average poodle and see how far it gets you.

But I recognize that any dog his size is capable of a lot of damage to a young child, so I'm responsible.
    Responsible?

If you were truly responsible, for the sake of those children, please get rid of the dog:

there were 4.7 million dog bite victims annually in the USA. A more recent study showed that 1,000 Americans per day are treated in emergency rooms as a result of dog bites. In 2007 there were 33 fatal dog attacks in the USA. Most of the victims who receive medical attention are children, half of whom are bitten in the face.....

pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings.

..... "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I see this turning into an another Vick discussion.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

We had a girl work for us who used to brag that her rottweiller never bit anyone and its all in the way you train them before he locked down on her 14 yr old son one day for no apparent reason.

I have a buddy who's sister just adopted a pit bull. Last week it killed her 14 yr old cat and now both animals are dead.

I grew up with a poodle from 6 to 15 and then raised three golden retrievers. Now these dogs are the ones that wouldn't hurt a child. You are playing w/fire owning pits or rotts with small children.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac View Post
    We had a girl work for us who used to brag that her rottweiller never bit anyone and its all in the way you train them before he locked down on her 14 yr old son one day for no apparent reason.

I have a buddy who's sister just adopted a pit bull. Last week it killed her 14 yr old cat and now both animals are dead.

I grew up with a poodle from 6 to 15 and then raised three golden retrievers. Now these dogs are the ones that wouldn't hurt a child. You are playing w/fire owning pits or rotts with small children.
    Speaking of playing with fire, how many morons burn down thier house during bbq season? How many people drown swimming in the ocean? Life is dangerous even if you are doing it right, you have better odds if you are smart, but we are all rolling the dice every day on the highway.

Pit Bulls are dangerous, but I bet more people are hurt worse/ infected, every year from cat bites and scratches than pit bull bites.

I do not understand the facination with pitbulls

Blog Entries

Re: I do not understand the facination with pitbulls

to bad the dog didnt bite him

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Responsible?

If you were truly responsible, for the sake of those children, please get rid of the dog:
    I am familiar with the study you're using, it was performed in 1994 and uses one of the most UN-reliable methods there is: Survey. Worse, sampler bias can be introduced to the study because samplers know which are control dogs and which are study dogs. They admit that Chows and GSDs are most common, and then announce that these two breeds are responsible for most of the bites! Worse, they rely on the owner's id of the breed, even in mixed breeds

Think its easy to pick a pit bull? Try it. Even if you get it right on the first try clearly you can see how hard it is to identify a specific breed based solely on appearance if you are not a trained vet or animal handler.

The study in question also failed to differentiate between nurtured and unaltered dogs... which is a HUGE factor in the likelihood that a dog will become aggressive.

The most damning bit of evidence that states that your survey is a load of bunk is the fact that it failed to acknowledge human behavior. For example, a number of cases where a Pit Bull, Rottweiler or German Shepherd Dog were counted as causing a human fatality, in reality the direct result was from gross human negligence or criminal intent. Any dog will bit if mistreated, and those three breeds are among the most likely dogs to be abused.

Oh and because I LOVE statistics, these stats are in reference to all dog attacks, not simply pit attacks;

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Bite Statistics
    Children under the age of one year accounted for the highest number of fatalities, at 19%. Over 95% of these deaths occurred when an infant was left unsupervised!

The group with the second highest number of fatalities was 2 year olds, at 11%. Over 87% of these fatalities occurred when the child was left unsupervised!
    Seems like responsible supervision is as effective at preventing dog bites as a condom is at preventing pregnancy.

As far the fascination with pitbulls, for me its because mine is the sweetest, most intelligent, most lovable dog I've ever owned.

He was a bait dog who got pretty beat up before I took him in.... terrible stuff, but he's healthy and happy now. See my post in the Harrison thread about how shoddy research and sensationalistic reporting is far more responsible for the bad rap on pit bulls than anything the dogs themselves do.

"An unidentified neighbor told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that one of the star player's three dogs got loose on Thursday and attacked the boy, "
    If its your dog, how does it "get loose". Pits, and all dogs for that matter, should be parts of the family, not kept separated and isolated. They develope the same tendacies in those situations as people in a solitary enviroment, ie no social skills or norms. The problem is people treat these animals as status symbols, not companions. It really pisses me off.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!