Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ravens inside skinny...

With their 2009 mandatory mini-camp now in the books it is difficult not to walk away with the impression that the Ravens have improved the depth of their roster.

Who impressed the most and how might this mini-camp set the stage for things to come. For an inside look go to The Grapevine

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens inside skinny...

Good to read, and definitely sounds impressive.

Me? I get a little more fun out of watching the lower part of the roster, figuring the top will be good but the team strength will also be the pool of "next man up".
    I'm listening for things like how much pop does Jason Cook have?
    Eron has speed, how are his hands?
    Does Carr show any really great cover skills?
    Philips range?

At end of the article, TL finally points out the elephant in the room. Suggs won't be a Raven in 2010.

Thanks Tony.... nobody is talking about this soon to be reality

Great points and I'll be sure to address this going forward. I'll address the best way I can for now...

I'm listening for things like how much pop does Jason Cook have?
    Since this was a non-contact camp, it's hard to gauge this for now...something to look for at Westminster.

Eron has speed, how are his hands?
    Didn't see enough to say either way. He was rather stealth.

Does Carr show any really great cover skills?
    Philips range?
    Both were for the most part bystanders nursing injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    At end of the article, TL finally points out the elephant in the room. Suggs won't be a Raven in 2010.

Thanks Tony.... nobody is talking about this soon to be reality
    I wouldn't be so sure that any other team is so hard up for his skills that they're willing to shell out $35MM in guaranteed money next year...

And frankly, if they are, I'm not so sure I want Suggs back in purple that badly anyway.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

It was cool listening to Sirius NFL radio today, both Michael Oher and Jarret Johnson were on. Nice guys.

Yeah the new bombshell was this, I did not realize it:

Keep in mind that if Suggs is franchised a third time, he will be paid the average of the top 5 salaries in the league regardless of position. That is probably not an option for the Ravens. If the two sides don’t come together by July 15th, the 2009 season could be Suggs’ last in Baltimore.
    You know I have been saying all along, trade him - stock up. We have tons of LBs. I don't see him as a guy that will make us a couple of wins better, and he's CERTAINLY not worth that kind of money against the cap. Boldin? Another 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd next year? Someone else? Hmm...

This team is DEEP,especially on defense.

Nice to hear a voice of reason in the sea of offseason, bored pick apart the team in every way possible.

Great read, glad to hear Smith is looking good and we look like we're in serious contention for signing Washington. Also Gooden playing well is promising for him to take over Scott's shoes (although there's a long way to go until Week 1).

Anyone know how Foxworth looked?

Quote Originally Posted by awalt View Post
    Yeah the new bombshell was this, I did not realize it:

You know I have been saying all along, trade him - stock up. We have tons of LBs. I don't see him as a guy that will make us a couple of wins better, and he's CERTAINLY not worth that kind of money against the cap. Boldin? Another 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd next year? Someone else? Hmm...
    I'm with you. In this defensive system Suggs is replaceable although still very young, Ngata IMO is way more important to the defensive success as a whole. I feel that the Ravens will not let Suggs go without getting something in return. I wouldn't trade for Boldin unless the Cards give us a high draft pick at the least. The receiver position is not as important in building a team that a pass rushing DE/LB and Suggs feels he is a DE. How the Oz is looking at things now is we want him, but we will not hamstring our future for him. The Ravens draft and develop defensive talent all to well for this to continue like it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I feel that the Ravens will not let Suggs go without getting something in return.
    First, thanks Tony for the breakdown you could give.

Second, since we are on a Suggs tangent, I can't see us getting anything for him unless it is done this summer. Other teams will just wait us out. But I have a question about the franchise tag. If Suggs is traded what happens to his franchise status? Does it re-set back to the top 5 average for the new team or does he carry the escalators with him?
    May be a moot point with uncapped coming, but curious if escalators end when the team changes or the player keeps them. Could he be traded and re-franchised back to 10 mil?

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    If Suggs is traded what happens to his franchise status? Does it re-set back to the top 5 average for the new team or does he carry the escalators with him?
    May be a moot point with uncapped coming, but curious if escalators end when the team changes or the player keeps them. Could he be traded and re-franchised back to 10 mil?
    I don't know the answer to that, but I am sure no one would trade for him unless they had an agreement for a long term deal. In either case they would likely not have the cap space to complete the trade otherwise.