Washington Post Article On D. Williams aka Spiderman

Here is an article that talks about the rookie Demetrius Williams. It busts out for the first time this kids nickname: Spiderman. He has the tattoo and everything. I love his attitude as well. All bolding was done by me.

Ravens' Williams Hopes to Nab Receiver Spot

By Camille Powell
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006; Page E03

WESTMINSTER, Md., Aug. 14 -- Demetrius Williams has spent more time thinking about the one catch he didn't make in the Baltimore Ravens' preseason opener against the New York Giants than reflecting on the three catches he did make. In the final seconds of the first half on Friday night, the rookie wide receiver leapt high for a pass in the end zone, got his hands on the ball, but lost control of it as he fell with cornerback Frank Walker on his back.

Never mind that quarterback Kyle Boller threw the ball behind Williams and that a better pass would have made for an easier catch. Williams thinks he should have made the play.

"I was always taught -- and my dad started me off young -- that whenever the ball is in the air, you go get it," Williams said. "It's your ball. That's just my attitude. If I can go get it, I'll definitely try to get it."

What else would you expect from a player whose nickname is Spider-Man and who has an elaborate tattoo of the superhero -- with a football ensnared in his web -- on his upper right arm. Williams caught three passes for 43 yards against the Giants, continuing his strong work in the preseason.

"He made some great plays," Coach Brian Billick said. "I would have liked to see him make that catch in the end zone; then that would have been a brilliant night for him. But he's making great strides and is showing he's capable of those kinds of plays."

The Ravens have two established starters at wide receiver, and Billick has said Derrick Mason and Mark Clayton are the best 1-2 punch the Ravens have had at the position in his tenure. A year ago, Mason led the team in receptions (a franchise-record 86) and receiving yards (1,073), and Clayton, the 22nd overall pick in 2005, set Ravens rookie records with 44 catches for 471 yards.

The question is who will fill the third wide receiver spot. Both Williams and Devard Darling have gotten work in that role, and both have made impressive catches on the practice field at McDaniel College. Clarence Moore, another candidate, practiced for the first time on Monday afternoon; the third-year player spent the last two weeks on the physically unable to perform list following offseason surgery for a sports hernia.

The Ravens took the 6-foot-2, 197-pound Williams in the fourth round of the draft, and they were thrilled to do so because they had him ranked as one of the top wide receivers. In four seasons at the University of Oregon, he had 162 receptions (third on the school's career list) for 2,660 yards (fourth all-time). He picked up the Spider-Man nickname while at Oregon because of his penchant for trying to catch everything with one hand.

"He's shown excellent play-making ability," wide receivers coach Mike Johnson said. "He has excellent hands and body control. He'll be a good route-runner in time."

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Continued through link at bottom
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ravens Notes: Rookie defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, who sat out last week with a sprained knee, has resumed practicing. . . . Mason (mild concussion) and linebacker Mike Smith (knee contusion), both of whom were injured against the New York Giants on Friday night, also practiced on Monday. . . . Tackle Jonathan Ogden, who rejoined the team on Thursday after the death of his father, continued to do conditioning work on the side.

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081401295.html

Edit: Per the Mods request I have trimmed the complete article down down to the first part and the Ravens Notes. To read the whole thing follow the link.
    Last edited by GreenWave52; 08-15-2006 at 02:31 PM.

Demetrius Williams could be the steal of the draft. Many publications had him rated as the 2nd best WR in the draft. Why he dropped to the 4th round is beyond me? Anyone know if he has character issues or anything like that? He doesn't seem like he does.

Great article.

After years of the Javin Hunters, Ron Johnsons, Devard Darlings, Clarence Moores, Patrick Johnsons of the world (Thanks Phil "The Brain" Savage ), Eric Decosta has brought us Mark Clayton and DSW (Demetrius Spiderman Williams).
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Washington Post Article On D. Williams aka Spiderman

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz
    Great article.

After years of the Javin Hunters, Ron Johnsons, Devard Darlings, Clarence Moores, Patrick Johnsons of the world (Thanks Phil "The Brain" Savage ), Eric Decosta has brought us Mark Clayton and DSW (Demetrius Spiderman Williams).
    I was thinking the same thing. Years and years of trying to get that mid/late round WR steal might have finally come to fruition with D-Williams. We'll see how Braylon Edwards turns out I guess.