Our Draft Philosophy Is Changing

I was listening to the Morning Show and they talked about how our draft philosophy may change a little.

It looks as if we will focus less on "long term projects" and more on "ready now" prospects. This is stemming from the success in finding a Dawan Landry in the 5th round who was ready to come right in and start.

So, in thinking about possible draft picks, think of players that can come right in instead of guys like Clarence Moore.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Our Draft Philosophy Is Changing

It also might make sense if they feel this our last year with guys like JO, Ray, McNair, etc. They might want impact guys for one more run with the vets we still have.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    It looks as if we will focus less on "long term projects" and more on "ready now" prospects. This is stemming from the success in finding a Dawan Landry in the 5th round who was ready to come right in and start.
    If this is true, I suspect that it has more to do with the possible blowing up of the team to clear the cap. 2008 or 2009 could be as bad as 2002. In which case, young, cheap "ready now" prospects would make sense.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Also, how many of those "long term" projects work?

For every Bart Scott or AD...we've got Rod Green, Moore, Darling, Rabach, etc. Guys that either don't make it, or leave and get in somewhere else when the get cut or we can't see paying them starting money.

Also, look at colston from the saints, Ryans for the Texans.

...though I also buy MistaT....we may be cutting loose a ton of guys as it seems we're making a desperate dash to win next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    If this is true, I suspect that it has more to do with the possible blowing up of the team to clear the cap. 2008 or 2009 could be as bad as 2002. In which case, young, cheap "ready now" prospects would make sense.
    I think that is a little overblown. The only guys I see us losing after 2008 or 2009 are the "over 30" crowd that Billick referred to: JO, Ray, McNair, Mason, Rolle, AD (which is why they may just tag him), Mulitalo, Flynn, Jamal, MA, and Gregg. We have a "two year window" with THOSE guys.

It's not as if we will lose guys like Suggs, Ngata, Heap, Reed, Williams, Clayton, Landry, Koch, Sams, Terry, Chester, Brown, Prude, Bart Scott, Pashos, Ovie and the 2007 and 2008 draft classes. These are the guys we are building around, now, for that post 2008 to 2011 window. I also think CMAC and maybe AD will stick around as the vet influence beyond 2008.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!