Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sun:Ravens will franchise AD

According to Tuesday's paper the Ravens tell Jamison that they will franchise him if necessary. So no more AD threads
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Re: Sun:Ravens will franchise AD

I'm kind of surprised, actually.

This may be a negotiation ploy rather than the final outcome

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    This may be a negotiation ploy rather than the final outcome
    I doubt it. We're a year or two away from cap jail, we can't afford to give a 30yr old a big signing bonus. The plan obviously is to franchise him for a year and then let him go when JO,Ray and Steve retire.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Can the franchise tag be applied for 2 or 3 years? I know the Ravens have been reluctant to use this, especially after the way it went w/ McAllister, but this is a way to keep him for maybe 2 years, then see where he is then. I agree this keeps them from a big signing bonus & that's a good thing w/ the shape our cap will be in the next few years. That said, maybe it is a negotiating ploy, basically telling AD we can hold you out from FA for a couple years by franchising you, then you will be 32 or 33 when this is done. You can take our offer w/ the bonus we are offering or be franchised the next few years.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

You can apply the tag multiple years, but there is a pretty rough penalty for doing so. I think something along the lines of salary goes up by 20% from the previous tag? Someone throw me a bone.

This is the logical business move to make with AD. You tag and get a new contract or you're going to trade him. At the very least you're going to at least get some kind of compensation for him if you can't work out a deal and feel you can't take the cap hit.

I like the call, but I feel bad for AD, who clearly deserves a shot at big money for once in his until recently underappreciated career.

I hope it is more along the line of what F-Angelos said. Holding the franchise tag over him as a part of negotiations is a dirty move. Either tag him for a year or negotiate in good faith.

If they can't get a completed contract they will have to do this . We can't lose AD.

I think the feeling is we have one more good year (2007) to make a run before a lot of the veterans retire and we'll have to seriously clean house. AD is an important part of Rex's D and we'll need him if we're trying to make a Super Bowl run next year.

It makes sense for the team & for AD. The franchise tag is essentially a rich contract - average salary of the top 5 players at the position - for exactly one year. AD has what he wants, a nice payday, and the team has what it wants, AD for one more year.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    I hope it is more along the line of what F-Angelos said. Holding the franchise tag over him as a part of negotiations is a dirty move. Either tag him for a year or negotiate in good faith.
    There's nothing that's bad faith about using all the leverage available to the team in negotiations. Using the tag is a legitimate owners' right - just like it's Thomas' right to sit out the season if he doesn't like the tag.

Note: I didn't read anything in the Sun article that was as definitive as this thread, i.e. it did not state that "Ravens will franchise AD"; rather it stated:

Prediction: .... It appears the Ravens will use the tag on Thomas
    Hopefully, where there's smoke, there's fire, and the Ravens will bring the hammer down on Thomas' agent if a reasonable deal cannot be struck. Thomas has become our best player.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    It makes sense for the team & for AD. The franchise tag is essentially a rich contract - average salary of the top 5 players at the position - for exactly one year. AD has what he wants, a nice payday, and the team has what it wants, AD for one more year.
    Well, it's not what AD wants. AD, like all other top-shelf FAs, doesn't want big weekly checks. He wants a seven-figure signing bonus. Why do people keep forgetting this?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012