Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roster moves

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Roster moves

Rimpf placed on IR, Ravens cut 10
    By Aaron Wilson
    Contributing writer
    OWINGS MILLS -- The Baltimore Ravens began trimming their roster down prior to Saturday's league-mandated 53-man limit, releasing 10 players and placing offensive guard Brian Rimpf on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.
    That leaves Baltimore with 11 more transactions to execute by 4 p.m., the NFL deadline.
    In perhaps their most prominent move, the Ravens released linebacker Roderick Green, a fifth-round draft pick in 2004 who has performed well on special teams and as a situational pass rusher.
    Last season, Green registered a career-high 17 special-teams tackles and two sacks while playing in all 16 games.
    Meanwhile, Baltimore waived defensive tackle Remi Ayodele, tight end Bobby Blizzard, safety Robb Butler, linebacker Jimmy Cottrell, offensive tackle Rob Droege, kicker Aaron Elling, wide receiver Travis LaTendresse, center Thatcher Szalay and defensive back Duvol Thompson.
    Elling’s departure would seem to be yet another signal that rookie Sam Koch will handle kickoff duties in addition to having clearly beaten out veteran Leo Araguz for the punting job.
    Placing Rimpf on injured reserve after he started seven games last season at right guard and cutting Szalay likely means that the Ravens are counting on the versatility of reserve interior blockers Jason Brown and Chris Chester.

Re: Roster moves

I sure hope the Ravens find some O Line help somewhere....they need decent depth bad.
    we aren't just loyal, we are obsessed. and we are violently so. we are baltimore, and we are the epitome of dysfunctionality.

While I can see why you cant have three kickers taking up roster spots, I thought Aaron Elling boomed the crap out of that ball. He would have been nice to have around on 50+ field goals.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Roderick Green???WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Drkraven
    Roderick Green???WTF?
    Man, what a crappy year this guy is having. I'm sure they have their reasons, but you have got to feel sorry for the guy after he got stabbed. Thankfully it wasnt too serious.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bohlieve
    While I can see why you cant have three kickers taking up roster spots, I thought Aaron Elling boomed the crap out of that ball. He would have been nice to have around on 50+ field goals.
    Except he wouldn't hit any of them. He isn't a very accurate kicker.

Rod Green is hardly a "beast". He did nothing outside of special teams. Athleticism isn't everything.

Roderick will not make it to Sunday for the practice squad. Someone will take him. He's a freaking beast. I'm a little stunned on that one. The only thing I can figure is that he wasn't able to comprehend the playbook and missed more assignments then made plays. Screw it.... no one is promised anything! You have to earn it!

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick1
    Roderick will not make it to Sunday for the practice squad.
    Green is not eligible for the PS since he's been on the 53-man roster for a couple of years.

As others have said, Green became a victim of the quality depth that this team now has. Basically, he a Gary Stills are the same player and Gary is the better ST player. Stills also showed that he is more than a ST player and IMO, pretty much played better than Green in the base defense as well.

I'm sure they didn't want to let him go, but he lost out in the numbers game. Someone will definitely pick him up. Several have mentioned Cleveland, but SF has a higher waiver priority, and I think Nolan may go after him as well (hopefully).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I think Green will catch on elsewhere. We simply have too many athletic guys to keep all of them around. I think we're trying to sneak LaTendresse onto the practice squad; it's clear each of our top five receivers have justified their spots, but LaTendresse has played well too and could have a future in the NFL.

I'm not surprised we let go of Elling and will soon let go of Araguz. We took Koch for a reason and we're not gonna let him go until we give him a full shot at playing for us. You can bet we'll have both Elling and Araguz on speed-dial if Koch sucks it up in the real games.

As much as I liked Green's raw talent, I wouldn't put him on the field ahead of Suggs, Pryce, Thomas, Scott, Cody... even Jarret Johnson and Gary Stills provide a better contribution. I would worry about Green's learning disability affecting this decision. Even as a pass rusher, you have to be smart enough to maintain your defensive assignment, and one guy out of position can lead to big plays. Hopefully he can continue his career with a needy team. As for the Ravens, I'm quite happy with our front seven and its depth. Our secondary is another story though.

You know, I've heard a ton of comments about how terrible the depth is on the Ravens. I think the weakness is isolated in two spots: defensive back and offensive line. We have a legitimate backup in Boller, a guy who has won games in the NFL with lesser talent than we have now. We have three guys behind Mason and Clayton who probably won't embarrass us on the field. We have one of the best trios at RB of any team, and might even carry four, because one of them can play FB as well; FB is not strong but is still deep, with Anderson, Green, maybe Mughelli, and even Wilcox getting playing time. Gregg, Ngata, Bannon, and Franklin isn't bad at DT, especially with guys like Pryce who can step in as needed; we have Mike Smith behind Ray Lewis at MLB and a ton of guys who play the DE/OLB attackers on the side.

We'll have a lot of young guys in our secondary behind the starters, and an injury to Rolle or McAlister will hurt us real bad. I like the aggressiveness I've seen from Landry, though I don't think he has the range we really need; he will get picked on as it is. Pittman, Prude, Sapp, Ivy... hopefully these guys won't see the field too much.

The only reason our depth worries me on the offensive line is that our backups SHOULD be beating out our starters, if they're gonna amount to anything. Yes, they're young and we have to be patient, but the old guys aren't getting it done. Flynn and Vincent should give way to Brown and Chester sooner rather than later; or else those draft picks aren't panning out for us. And it scares the hell out of me that Tony Pashos is one of our most irreplacable players. I hope we watch the wire for a veteran tackle to come free who can play the right side. Much as I love Clayton, seeing the emergence of our reserve receivers makes me really wish we could have gotten Jammal Brown in the draft that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin
    I would worry about Green's learning disability affecting this decision. Even as a pass rusher, you have to be smart enough to maintain your defensive assignment, and one guy out of position can lead to big plays..

1. LD does not mean that Rod Green is not intelligent. It just affects perception. (That is just the short of it, without going into detail).

2. Rod Green is just victim of a deep and talented LB/DE corp that we currently have. It is numbers, not talent. Green will catch on with someone else. He has value in the NFL to some team.

I wish him the best.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Just thought about this.

Rod Green will be a Brown in 5.....4.....3.....2......1.......
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Blog Entries

he can't go on the P Sq...As soon as a player has been on an NFL squad for a full 16 games, he is ineligible for P Sq.

He'll likely be signed somewhere as a backup tweener. Nice to know you Rod Green.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!