Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NFL Network slated to be dropped by Comcast on May 1

Comcast sent a message saying that the NFL is 'forcing' them to drop the NFL Network as part of their Premium Sports Package on May 1. This seriously pisses me off b/c I do generally like their programming.... at least the relatively unbias nature of their daily news & highlight shows. ESPN's coverage is a joke.

It's mostly Comcast's fault b/c both competitiors, Directv & FIOS offer the channel for free. I am not going to give the NFL a free pass though. By not allowing the Comcast subscribers an option to pay a little extra to get it, they should share some blame. Ultimately, it is us, the fans, that get shit on by the greedy corporations squabbling over money. Thanks NFL and Comcast for caring about your customers when many of us are losing jobs and trying to figure out ways to survive.

I know some of you are going to say dump Comcast for FIOS. My Inlaws have it and while the PQ is definitely better, there are a few things I do not like about it. They are always having problems with the service being down or certain channels down. Also that DVR is so damn user unfriendly that I hate it. Can someone tell me, easily, how to record a program with extended time (ie. 10min before the program starting time and 30min after the program is schd to end)? For live games, you absolutely need to extend the recording time b/c rarely any fball game ends at 4pm when its a 1pm game. The Comcast DVR clearly gives you a time option whenever you record a program. And dont say that you just program to record the next show so if it goes over, you will get the overage with the recording of the next show. I do not like this b/c for example during a 1pm game, it will cut the play that occurs at exactly 4pm into another recording. Most likely this will be a critical play too late in the game. I hate that discontinuity that occurs. Anyways if Comcast and the NFL dont patch things up, I may just have to switch over to FIOS. I just wish I didnt have these pet peeves with FIOS.

Re: NFL Network slated to be dropped by Comcast on May 1

If they drop the NFL Network I will drop them!!
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Wink Re: NFL Network slated to be dropped by Comcast on May 1

I dumped Comcast two years ago, after enduring weekly or more frequent outages for many years -- often for a day or more -- and terrible internet service. I have yet to have an outage with FIOS, it is cheaper, more HD channels, and the internet hums. Based on just my experience, I am amazed that Comcast is still in business in Maryland.

As to DVR recording overage with FiOS, go to "Series Manager", then "Modify Series" to the pull down menu for start and end times. You can add 15 minutes to either end. I still also tape the next CBS show or two to cover possible OT.

As to the Comcast/NFL pissing match: a pox on both houses. They deserve each other. Since Congress has nothing else to worry about these days , watch a little heat be placed on the NFL by politicians. Betcha the NFL loses this round.

btw: NFLN has been a major disappointment to me. Why limit the replays to just 4 games? And every time I hear Deion Sanders open his mouth, I grab the mute button.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I dumped crapcast for fios three months ago and it is everything they advertize, blazing fast, great picture , 10x more hd channels and free nfl network,,,, F comcast , drop them and get a better signal for a lower price

I have a good understanding as to what is happening with this situation. Nfl network is paid per subscription for their channel. The NFL wants to be paid $3.00 for every Comcast subscriber (100,000,000) instead of $3.00 for every sports package subscription (400,000). Th e NFL is trying to make money. Comcast is protecting the non NFL fans from an extra round of price increases. I don't understand why people who have no ides what they are talking about are spewing such slanderous flith about a company that provides a service people want.
    Why don't yalll save it for BGE. A company jiveing you for something you need.

Quote Originally Posted by ace2die View Post
    I have a good understanding as to what is happening with this situation. Nfl network is paid per subscription for their channel. The NFL wants to be paid $3.00 for every Comcast subscriber (100,000,000) instead of $3.00 for every sports package subscription (400,000). Th e NFL is trying to make money. Comcast is protecting the non NFL fans from an extra round of price increases. I don't understand why people who have no ides what they are talking about are spewing such slanderous flith about a company that provides a service people want.
    Why don't yalll save it for BGE. A company jiveing you for something you need.
    thats all well and good buddy, but i pay almost $200 a MONTH to comcast. i DON'T have NFLN or any movie channels. my internet is constantly down and channels go out every day... let me tell you, i love setting up my DVR to have it record a blank screen for 1/2 hour... its great!!! but their customer service is even better.

but i digress... you talk about providing a service that customers want... well why is it FIOS and DTV don't charge for NFLN? the only reason the NFL wants money from Comcast is because they are charging their customers for a service that is free on other providers.

FUCK COMCAST!!!! as soon as FIOS is available, i will cancel my service...
    Last edited by bmore4life; 03-21-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Comcrap is the WORST. We had some initial trouble with FIOS internet but they have been resolved, we have Direct TV because I like Sunday Ticket. I am not a fan of NFLN this time of year because I am not a draftnick and they say a lot of things that piss me off as filler.

My in-laws got DirectTV for us Christmas of '99. I won't go back to Comcast for television though I do like their internet access.

My horror story down here is that when Cartoon Network first came out, Comcast let the customers vote on which network we would rather have, the Golf Channel or Cartoon Network. Cartoon Network won by over a thousand votes. Comcast turns around and yanks Cartoon Network because they, "didn't feel that the voting was indicitive of the feelings of the majority of their consumers."
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I dumped Comcrap for DirecTV back in September. Best move I ever made. DirecTV is so much better with their online DVR scheduling, HD offering, etc. I also dropped Verizon for phone and picked up Vonage. If you'r looking for Vonage it's been great.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

I wish I could get FIOS, it is not yet available in my area. I saw that message light on my cable box this morning. I didn't even know that existed. Comcast why???

I actually never had any issues with Comast's internet the 7 or so years I had it. I had problems with the picture quality and their customer service. I called them about NFL Network when they put it on the sport tier and had a very bad experience.

I have had FIOS now since right before this past NFL season. Only had one issue which has not happened since. I did run into the issue with trying to record additional time as I was out during the Maryland game. I did set up to record the next show. Luckily the game finished in the allotted time.

I am getting FIOS tomorrow, my Comcast internet speed is up and down like a roller coaster and there in no problem on my end, I'm 100% sure of it. Plus I can't wait to be able to watch my DVR'd shows in my bedroom instead of having to pay an extra 20 bucks a month to get another DVR box from Comcrap.