Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ravens Add Smith at Tight End

Official.. any word on a press conference?

L.J. Smith will further bolster the Ravens’ tight end corps. by Mike Duffy
    Mar 20, 2009, 1:06PM

The Ravens made the signing of tight end L.J. Smith official Friday after the former Philadelphia Eagle passed a physical.

According to multiple media reports, Smith inked a one-year deal.

Smith give the Ravens another weapon behind Todd Heap at tight end, adding a pass-catching threat to Baltimore’s offense.

The roster move is head coach John Harbaugh’s first addition from the Eagles, where he coached from 1998-2008.

Smith visited with Ravens officials at team headquarters in Owings Mills, Md., Tuesday, the same day Ray Lewis was at the facility for a press conference celebrating his new contract. He had also visited the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions.

Last season, Smith caught 37 passes for 298 yards and three touchdowns, but he has been plagued by injury in the past. Regarded as the best tight end left in free agency, Smith missed six games in 2007 with a sports hernia and two in 2008 with a shoulder problem.

Still, Smith had definitely been productive. From 2005-06, Smith hauled in 111 balls for 1,293 yards and eight scores.

The former second-round draft pick joins a group that includes Heap, Quinn Sypniewski, who is returning from a season-ending knee injury, and Edgar Jones, a converted linebacker/defensive end.

IT'S OFFICIAL: L.J. Smith is a Raven

Ravens SIGN SMITH

The Baltimore Ravens signed free agent TE L.J. Smith to a 1-year contract, general manager/executive vice president Ozzie Newsome announced Friday afternoon.

“We are very pleased to add such a talented and experienced tight end,” said head coach John Harbaugh. “Obviously I had the opportunity to be around L.J. for a number of years in Philadelphia, and there is a comfort level that we have with each other. I know that he is a good fit as a Raven and will be a great addition to our team.”

Smith, a six-year NFL veteran, has seen action in 86 regular season games (65 starts) and nine postseason contests (four starts). He has 231 career receptions for 2,525 yards and 18 touchdowns, and he led the Eagles in receptions and receiving yards (career-high 61 catches for 682 yards) in 2005. Smith has also pulled in 18 passes for 191 yards and one TD during the playoffs.

Re: Ravens Add Smith at Tight End

He had some good seasons, and even a couple good games last year. He may be washed up, but for 1.5 it is worth finding out. I doubt he passes a physical and gets a contract and can not a least help out as the 2nd TE. It was not like an in season desperation move.

No way he could be hurt more than Dan Wilcox always was, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    No way he could be hurt more than Dan Wilcox always was, right?
    He is also younger, bigger and more accomplished than Wilcox and he price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    He is also younger, bigger and more accomplished than Wilcox and he price is right.
    :word
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I love this signing by the Ravens. I remember watching some Eagles games over the past few years and he was their go to guy in some very tight situations within the red zone. As far as Todd Heap is concerned, I think the Ravens will keep him at least one more year.

I know this is old news, but is anyone else concerned by how happy Eagles fans are to be rid of this guy?

I don't remember watching him play, but if you believe what's being said about him, he apparently can't block or hold onto the ball.

Sour grapes or is there truth to it?

Quote Originally Posted by heartattackjones View Post
    I know this is old news, but is anyone else concerned by how happy Eagles fans are to be rid of this guy?

I don't remember watching him play, but if you believe what's being said about him, he apparently can't block or hold onto the ball.

Not really, Philly fans are far more ficle critical than even Baltimore crab ass fans. He is no more a bum than Heap. Injury and play calling, matchups took away a pro bowl caliber players numbers. He should be an upgrade over Wilcox, he is basically the same player only younger and bigger.

Take anything a Philly fan says or thinks with a grain of salt.

Half of them want McNabb and Andy Reid gone!

Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Take anything a Philly fan says or thinks with a grain of salt.

Half of them want McNabb and Andy Reid gone!
    Really if those guys are not good enough who do they think they are going to get that is better. His contract pretty clearly defines his value right now, but the guy could bounce back to pro bowl form as the 3rd or 4th target, he will not have to face the same kind of coverages, and with a power run game, the TE play action is a lot more effective than if the LBs and Safties do not have to even worry about the run before getting a good angle to blow up a short TE route.

Quote Originally Posted by heartattackjones View Post

Good friend of mine who is a knowledgable Eagles fan has be hating on L.J. Smith for 2 years.

"Can't catch, can't block, can't get open, can't stay healthy, whines, complains. Good luck with that one."

Just 1 person's opinion, but I'll be taking a wait and see approach with L.J. Hopefully the change of scenery does him some good.