Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jarron Gilbert in the First

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    You realize that's not a good thing, right?

- C -
    You know the draft is a gamble right? There are no locks, the experts are often wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    You know the draft is a gamble right? There are no locks, the experts are often wrong.
    You should cut and paste that post over in the DHB thread in response to yourself...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

You are the one acting like there is some other sure thing we would be passing on if we did not take him at 26. There very well could be 35 guys rated higher for all I know. I did not scout any of them, just saw some of them play a few times on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    You are the one acting like there is some other sure thing we would be passing on if we did not take him at 26. There very well could be 35 guys rated higher for all I know. I did not scout any of them, just saw some of them play a few times on TV.
    HA!!!

You're a funny dude! I love irony!!

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Let me add some sanity to this thread.

1.Gilbert is a 3-4 DE,dont know where anyone got the "NT" idea.Maybe if he could add 75 pounds he could do it....but Im guesing thats not in the cards.

2.Gilbert is not a DT,he is a DE unless he gets moved inside in dime packages to rush the passer(like Pryce does).

3.Gilbert isnt the 8th ranked anything,some have him as the best 3-4 DE on the board but most have him a little lower.He is all over the board though with some questioning the competition he faced.He is one of those guys who has a wide range of where people think he might go.

4.First round is probably too early(although there are a few who woudnt hesitate to take him there)and he would be a good pick late in the 2nd round if he is still there.A team could easily take him somewhere before that though in the mid 2nd.

6.The only issue some teams have is he usually beats guys with his quick first step,and there are questions as to whether he can do that against top level competition.(Usually he is so fast off the ball the defender doesnt even have a chance to touch him much less block him.)

7.Personally I would be fine with him in the 2nd round,but no way in the first.Little too risky for the first,but perfect in the second.You need a safe,solid pick in the first and thats the way Ozzie usually goes.He would be a huge gamble that high.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Let me add some sanity to this thread.

1.Gilbert is a 3-4 DE,dont know where anyone got the "NT" idea.Maybe if he could add 75 pounds he could do it....but Im guesing thats not in the cards.

2.Gilbert is not a DT,he is a DE unless he gets moved inside in dime packages to rush the passer(like Pryce does).

3.Gilbert isnt the 8th ranked anything,some have him as the best 3-4 DE on the board but most have him a little lower.He is all over the board though with some questioning the competition he faced.He is one of those guys who has a wide range of where people think he might go.

4.First round is probably too early(although there are a few who woudnt hesitate to take him there)and he would be a good pick late in the 2nd round if he is still there.A team could easily take him somewhere before that though in the mid 2nd.

6.The only issue some teams have is he usually beats guys with his quick first step,and there are questions as to whether he can do that against top level competition.(Usually he is so fast off the ball the defender doesnt even have a chance to touch him much less block him.)

7.Personally I would be fine with him in the 2nd round,but no way in the first.Little too risky for the first,but perfect in the second.You need a safe,solid pick in the first and thats the way Ozzie usually goes.He would be a huge gamble that high.
    Well said.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

I agree with many, Gilbert in the second to add as a wave 3-4 DE makes sense, but not in the first round. Much like DHb, I think he is simply too raw an athlete/project, and not a finished enough player.
    Larry English on the other hand, is a small school guy that is a complete player already(as a DE). He would likely move to OLB in our system, and as TEP pointed out, could follow a very Suggs-like path. He and Barwin are certainly Raven type players, btu I really see them having value about 10 spots after our first round selection.
    I honestly see the Ravens getting lucky this year and getting a top 20 prospect. A guy like Pettigrew, Tyson Jackson, Rey M, Maybin, etc that falls mostly because of needy reaching teams in front of us. I think WR, CB, OT and QB will all have their own mini runs in the first round in front of us. Those four positions could encompass nearly 20 of the first 25 picks. Raji, Orapko, Curry, and Everette Brown are really the only guarantees, plus likely a back. I think there will be value in the defensive front 7 late in the first, as well as RB, interior OL and perhaps TE(only 1 guy). .

8. Re: Jarron Gilbert in the First

gilbert may not be the best value at 26 overall, but he is exactly the type of player we need to replace pryce. barwin and english are solid guys, but we have 5 of them on the roster already. we need a 3-4 DE that is big enough to clog up the running game and explosive enough to rush the passer. barwin and english go 250 lbs max, tyson jackson is around 285 and gilbert is around 295 i believe. if jackson isn't still out there, i think we could trade back for a couple second rounders and try to get a guy like gilbert. he has a massive frame that could add a ton more weight and muscle, but our D thrives with guys like him and ngata that can line up anywhere along the line. he is a bit raw as an athlete, but the video from the shrine game practices above shows that he does more than one move and seems somewhat savvy in his ability to move the OL with his hands. i like kid, his value may not be as high as 26 overall but his upside is through the roof and he is exactly what we need in the first this year.

oh, too big and slow to play DE? top 10 in the 40 for DL, also top performer in vertical and broad jump...

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    gilbert may not be the best value at 26 overall, but he is exactly the type of player we need to replace pryce. barwin and english are solid guys, but we have 5 of them on the roster already. we need a 3-4 DE that is big enough to clog up the running game and explosive enough to rush the passer. barwin and english go 250 lbs max, tyson jackson is around 285 and gilbert is around 295 i believe. if jackson isn't still out there, i think we could trade back for a couple second rounders and try to get a guy like gilbert. he has a massive frame that could add a ton more weight and muscle, but our D thrives with guys like him and ngata that can line up anywhere along the line. he is a bit raw as an athlete, but the video from the shrine game practices above shows that he does more than one move and seems somewhat savvy in his ability to move the OL with his hands. i like kid, his value may not be as high as 26 overall but his upside is through the roof and he is exactly what we need in the first this year.

oh, too big and slow to play DE? top 10 in the 40 for DL, also top performer in vertical and broad jump...
    While agree with you on this type of player being a good get, it is no good use of your 26th overall pick. If the staff really wants Gilbert they should trade down to the middle of the 2nd round and get some extra picks.

I have not even heard his name prior to this thread and I go to all the sites.

Blog Entries

He'll be a 2nd-rounder....

I'd love a Pettigrew - Gilbert first day.
    I think Gilbert reminds me asmidge of Kendall Langford who moved up into round 2 last year right before draft time.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    gilbert may not be the best value at 26 overall,
    Not the best overall value + we have other needs beyond simply replacing Pryce = not a good first round pick

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com