Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Why the McNair gravy train has peaked, and I'm off that bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Stinger, I don't think most around here are saying that - there are some, but not most. What I think most in this thread are stating is that this one bad game from McNair - albeit at the worst possible time - should not change the fact that he played very well once he got acclimated to the offense and Billick took over. Yes, THE RAVENS won 13 games, but McNair certainly had a sizable part in that (whether Boller could have done the same, we'll never know). As such, those now calling for McNair's head are, IMO, no better than those who have constantly put Boller down without recognizing the lack of help he had around him over the years. This thread is also an example of those who, for whatever reason, are unwilling to give McNair ANY credit for our 13-3 season.

Personally, I think those on both fringes of this argument are being unreasonably unrealistic and unfair.

Just my 2 cents.
    First it was not one bad game it was multiple. He literally cost us at least two games including one that sent us home. Thats BIG. Now comparing Boller to McNair...There is no comparison with experience or leadership (that comes with experience and time). Arm strength goes to Boller. Decision making is a tie. Big play ability goes to Boller because he can throw the ball down field with alot more accuracy. Intangibles go to McNair because of his experience and knowing how to deal with different things because he has sen them before. Nobody should throw QB ratings in the mix because a) they dont mean anything, b) McNair is working with the likes of Mason, a more experienced Clayton, D Williams....I cant remember the list of transients that Boller had to throw to, and c) McNair has certainly never lit it up in the QB rating dept.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

The point that I think EVERYONE is missing as far as the McNair/Boller debate is that as far as the offense goes, it's BILLICK who must take the full responsibility for how things evolved, EVEN when Fassell was here. And frankly, even back when Cavanaugh was here. THAT'S the thing -- if anything -- that's become the clearest to me after having paid very careful attention to every game this season. So much so, that it almost makes no difference WHO the flippin QB is -- or WHO the WRs are -- because THAT'S JUST NOT WHAT BILLICK IS COMFORTABLE WITH. We might as well get the best damn RUNNING BACK that's available -- because THAT is what Billick IS comfortable with. Everything else is a waste of time and energy. As long as Billick is here, we better just focus on a big ass O-line and a powerful RB -- because that's what he's about when it comes to offensive creativity; the rest is nothing but a supporting cast, IMO.

GO RAVENS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skaybaltimore View Post
    The point that I think EVERYONE is missing
    Skay no one is missing that argument. You have made it on these pages more than once.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    First it was not one bad game it was multiple. He literally cost us at least two games including one that sent us home. Thats BIG.
    He also won us some games as well.

Umm, did you expect us to go 19-0? Every QB is going to have an off game or two over the stretch of a full season - see Manning the last 2 weeks. Yes, bad timing on having a poor game on Sat, but that just underscores how difficult it is to win a SB (see SD also).

McNair certainly struggled early as he got comfortable with the offense and his new teammates. Once he got comfortable and Billick started calling plays, he put up a 94 QB rating. He played well.

Now comparing Boller to McNair...
    I'm not going to even get into any comparisons because (1) I disagree with a lot of what you've said and (2) it's pointless since McNair is, barring injury, going to be our QB next year. Most of the world realizes and understands that.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Skay no one is missing that argument. You have made it on these pages more than once.
    And I'll continue to express it, as long as I consider it to be valid. Let's see what happens in 2007.

GO RAVENS!!!

Congrats skay for becoming the most annoying poster on both the YBR and 24x7 message boards. You must think we're all stupid since you repeat the same damn thing over and over in every thread. We all know how you feel about Billick. As dumb as your opinion is in my opinion, it's already well documented, so you can start discussing other topics.

You won't change my mind on Billick just yet. 2 division titles, a superbowl title, and 4 playoff appearances in 9 years ain't that bad. Throw in the fact that we have the best home record in football since 2000, and that other crazy stat of his, I think he is like 40-1 when he has a 14 point lead or more in any game. He is one of 7 active coaches in the NFL with a ring. Those numbers don't lie. He brought credibility to this franchise, and has put us in a position every year but 1, where we have a shot at the postseason. What else do you want? Only one team can win the superbowl every year. Historically, the most successfull franchises have one thing in common. Continuity.

And as far as the Mcnair/Boller argument. I know Steve is not the only reason for our success this year, but he is the general on the field. He led this team to that record. Opposing teams had to scheme us differently this year because he was behind center, not Boller. Don't forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by teagues View Post
    Congrats skay for becoming the most annoying poster on both the YBR and 24x7 message boards. You must think we're all stupid since you repeat the same damn thing over and over in every thread.
    Hey, pal...if the brain fits...wear it.

:D

GO RAVENS!!!

Hey, pal...if the brain fits...wear it.

Wow. A post without reference to Billick. My job here is done.:)

Quote Originally Posted by teagues View Post
    Wow. A post without reference to Billick. My job here is done.:)
    Your job was done before you started. What's the point in discussing ANYTHING about this team's offense -- which was, is, and will continue to be BILLICK'S offense as long as he's here -- WITHOUT factoring him into the discussion? It wouldn't make any difference WHAT WRs we have, or WHAT QB we have -- as long as Billick doesn't feel comfortable THROWING THE BALL in a way that challenges the opposing D. What, were you so drunk watching the Cinci game in Cinci that you failed to notice NOT ONE SINGLE DEEP PASS UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE OF THE GAME?

So the bottom line is...you can talk about the draft; you can talk about our QBs; you can talk about our wideouts til the cows come home. When it comes to how the Ravens' offense is run, the limiting link is Brian Billick, any way you slice it. If you feel some personal attack because I'm critical of Billick, then that's your problem. But these boards are here for fans to voice our opinions. And if you don't like my opinions -- while it'll certainly cause me many sleepless nights -- somehow, I''ll get over it.

GO RAVENS!!!
    Last edited by skaybaltimore; 01-17-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Thing is, McNair had more than just an "off" day.

Thats is the double standard. I know that if Boller just had the identical season to McNair with the identical end, we'd be 13-3 "in spite of him" and he'd get the blame for the loss.

170 2 INTs that were drive killers, that is worse than an off day. He laid a turd and deserves the blame.

The fact that I dont hear anyone blaming him bothers me more. I'd rather have McNair and come out and apologize for a shit game than hear Ray say it wasn't his fault. It was.

A total lack of exectution, locking onto primary WRs and staring them down. I thought thats why we demoted Boller?

So, CBD...correct me if I'm wrong...but it sounds to me as if you're looking for some vindication of Boller -- even though he wasn't involved in this game -- based on past discussions in which you feel McNair got praised and Boller got dissed unfairly. Does that about cover it?

GO RAVENS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Thing is, McNair had more than just an "off" day.

Thats is the double standard. I know that if Boller just had the identical season to McNair with the identical end, we'd be 13-3 "in spite of him" and he'd get the blame for the loss.
    Sorry, but I doubt that. At least for most - since there are some who will never give Boller any credit - for most, if Boller had played as well as McNair did this season, they'd be more than happy for him.

170 2 INTs that were drive killers, that is worse than an off day. He laid a turd and deserves the blame.

The fact that I dont hear anyone blaming him bothers me more. I'd rather have McNair and come out and apologize for a shit game than hear Ray say it wasn't his fault. It was.
    Then you obviously aren't paying much attention. Just about everyone has said he had a very bad game. I've seen no one excuse him for that - NO ONE. :grbac:

And McNair said so himself, as well.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap