Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Why the McNair gravy train has peaked, and I'm off that bandwagon

Its all downhill from here, folks, in terms of hitching this team to McNair. And that why he should be let go or should backup Boller or another QB.

Hear me out.

We went 13-3. Got the #2 seed and a 1st round bye. We had good o-line protection, Jamal ran well in that game, and had a good group of recievers.

McNair has a week of rest to let his old arm heal up and get some zip.

We get about 170 yards and 2 INTs, and 6 points.

What more does the man need?

The comparisons to Plummer are right. Plummer last season got everything he needed to succeed, and still couldn't make it happen for the Broncos. So they gave him half a chance last year before switching to Cutler.

Why? #1, Culter was drafter by that franchise, just like Boller was drafted by us. You stick by young QBs (see Rex Grossman), but you don't stick with veterans who you didn't draft forever.

Its like the idea that blood is thicker than water. McNair and Mason and Rolle, these guys will all retire as tennessee titans. They're Ravens for now, and thats good and all, but they're not really our blood. Its like they married into the family.

Reed, Clayton, D Will, Boller, these are our bloodline.

I dont want to see another 13-3 season and one and done. And I dont know what would make us not be one and done again with McNair.

It was his two bonehead INTs that killed us; he locked onto his recievers like a rookie. If I was to see that, I want to see that with Boller, or another QB we draft. But Boller deserves another shake.

Give me youth, energy, and enthusiasm and athleticism any day over a QB who seemingly doesn't give a fuck, and will retire a Tenessee Titan/Houston Oiler anyway.

2. Re: Why the McNair gravy train has peaked, and I'm off that bandwagon

Ya know, the more I think about it, you're right! I don't think McNair is finished, I just think he struggles with cover-two defenses. It looked as if he really didn't care. Long deep passes will combat the cover-two and Boller does have a cannon for an arm.

Re: Why the McNair gravy train has peaked, and I'm off that bandwagon

I tend to agree.

McNair has definitely done some great things this season. He's been elusive in the pocket and has great poise. But other than that, the guy is done; and THAT is sad to say. No arm strength, no fire, poor decisions.

Trading and picking up FA's from other teams is sometimes necessary, but there's nothing like bringing guys up from when they are rookies. That's what's so great about being a Ravens fan. We have the best drafting team in football. They tend to be loyal and there's usually a difference in team chemistry.

McNair's play last Saturday was inexcusible. I'm convinced Boller could have made more happen. He's got a live arm, and seems to be more competitive at times. Boller gives the Ravens the ability to stretch the field, and he has one of the strongest arms in the entire league. He's still young, and I'm not totally opposed to giving him another crack at this thing.

At 25, Kyle is still incredibly young. I like his chances to be a good QB for the Ravens in the future. Afterall, he played very well when he came in this season.

I say make it an open competition in training camp this season. It probably won't happen, but McNair is looking like he's on the decline BIG TIME. Kyle has upside, McNair does not. When you're 33-34 years old with no arm strength, and you play like you did in a home playoff game after a bye, I think the only place to go is down.

I love the fact that we went 13-3 with McNair, but we need to look to the future atleast after next season, if not now.

Once again, you guys have lost your minds.

I will take McNair's 13-3 and one and done in the playoffs

over

Boller's 6-10 season any season you want.

Read these words. Boller is not our future. Boller is not a starting NFL QB. He has shown that how many times now?

You take your team with Boller starting and put it against mine with McNair starting, and I beat you every game you want to play.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Boller has one year left on his contract. We can't go into this coming season pretending he's the quarterback of the future for the franchise until & unless that's resolved.

I suspect our QOTF is not even on our radar yet, let alone our roster.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

6. Re: Why the McNair gravy train has peaked, and I'm off that bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    Once again, you guys have lost your minds.

I will take McNair's 13-3 and one and done in the playoffs

over

Boller's 6-10 season any season you want.

Read these words. Boller is not our future. Boller is not a starting NFL QB. He has shown that how many times now?

You take your team with Boller starting and put it against mine with McNair starting, and I beat you every game you want to play.
    Hey Bonehead(sorry for the insult PR), it wasn't Bollers 6-10 season....Boller and Wright had the 6-10 season...;) Get your facts right, K!
    Last edited by Tspot-D-Ravenator; 01-15-2007 at 10:29 PM.

The problem with Boller as our starter seems to be that the key veteran players do not play hard for him. It is like they expect to lose and then manifest it into reality.

For what it's worth, I believe Boller can lead this team - especially after having a year to watch a real QB like McNair.

Quote Originally Posted by muninn View Post
    The problem with Boller as our starter seems to be that the key veteran players do not play hard for him. It is like they expect to lose and then manifest it into reality.
    Bingo, amigo! You lose the team if you start Boller.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

this drives me nuts...Boller wasn't 6-10 last year...

the Ravens WON 4 of the games that he started and the offense was more explosive than under any other QB in a long time, including McNair.

Even against Denver and Cincy, our offense was EXPLOSIVE (though implosive, too)...and then you really saw it come out against Green Bay and Minnesota.

Then when he comes in against Carolina and Cleveland this year, the offense was just more explosive in every facet...better? not necessarily...but a much higher ceiling.

It's a tough call but MAY be time for an open competition in camp.

Remember...Boller got hurt in week 1 last year. Wright was twice as bad as Boller...Boller came back and was responsible of 4 out of the 6 total wins the Ravens amassed.

you'll also notice that when boller is in, people might be angry....but the young guys go all out...you can tell Clayton loves playing with Boller.

Then you dump the vets who won't play.

My ideal offseason would see Ogden retire, trade Mason, cut Mike Flynn, go forward with a young core and a young team.

I'm torn on Ray. For all the slobbing of McNair's knob that Ray did the last 6 week talkign all that shit and for McNair to lay an egg . . . Ray needs to stop playing GM and just shut up.

I want the older guys to just shut up and play. Period. If Ray can do that, fine, but he is also over the hill.

This was the veteran's chance and they blew it. I don't think they deserve a second.

I'd rather be explosive with Boller and the younger guys next year and go 9-7 or 10-6 than see another 13-3 with McNair and be one and done in the playoffs.

I'll say it this way; i like what the Bears have done with Grossman and how they handled it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post

What more does the man need?

Why? #1, Culter was drafter by that franchise, just like Boller was drafted by us. You stick by young QBs (see Rex Grossman), but you don't stick with veterans who you didn't draft forever.

I dont want to see another 13-3 season and one and done. And I dont know what would make us not be one and done again with McNair.

But Boller deserves another shake.

Give me youth, energy, and enthusiasm and athleticism any day over a QB who seemingly doesn't give a fuck, and will retire a Tenessee Titan/Houston Oiler anyway.

Oh yeah, because McNair isn't on a sugar high, with the deer in the headlights look, I guess it means he doesn't give a fuck. You think McNair didn't want to win that game as much as any player?

Well, I ask you, what more does Boller need? He's been given plenty of opportunities, more than McNair has.

I mean, I agree stick by your young QBs you draft, but exactly when is the point that you just can't stick with Boller anymore? How many chances does he get?

You are all one-and-one over McNair, but where was Boller gotten us lately? Zero and done to be exact.

Hey, I'm all for getting a new QB, but right now, what choice do we really have? Until we draft a new QB, we are kind of SOL, because there hasn't been a lot of indication that Boller has really changed. Sure, I am certain someone brings up the two games he played in. I'll give Boller a lot of credit, he played well, and was a big part in the win over the Browns. But do you think Billick is going to change how he calls plays when Boller is in?

Is it your belief that Boller has totally reverted from his old habits and ways of before. Once Boller comes back, teams will have the plans to stop him, as before. It will be no different. As much as Boller is a team player, he can't lead the offense like McNair can, even as bad as he was Saturday. There is just a difference in confidence level when Boller is the QB, and it sucks, but that's how it is.

I will say I'd be have no problem with an open try-out in the offseason though for the starting job, but I wonder if that is actually going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    I'm torn on Ray. For all the slobbing of McNair's knob that Ray did the last 6 week talkign all that shit and for McNair to lay an egg . . . Ray needs to stop playing GM and just shut up.
    "slobbing of McNair's knob"
    Exactly what are you doing right now? I've heard other players slob on Boller's knob, why isn't that wrong?

Dude, you're an asshole, seriously. McNair brought respect and class to this team, and was the first step in the right direction for this franchise, after the past couple disappointing seasons. We had locker-room problems, and all sorts of shit, and bringing McNair, and some respect to this offense not only helped our team with character, it helped in the win column.

All the shit we heard over the past three years, and Boller lays an egg. All the good things our team said about Boller, and he lays an egg. What the hell is wrong with supporting McNair, especially after he brings excitement to this defense. Was the end disappointing? Hell yeah, but our team took a big step in the right direction.

You believe Ray was the only reason we got McNair/Ngata? Is our FO that uneducated/naive the problems on the Ravens? Frankly, I don't know how you can sit here and bitch about what Ray suggested as missing pieces. Frankly, if Ray drafted Ngata, and signed McNair like you're basically implying, he did a damn good job. We have a dominant DT that more than pulled his weight, and a QB that really brought our team together.

Our young players are going to learn from this season, and how to be leaders, when McNair and Ray are gone. McNair shit the bed at the worst time no doubt, but he brought a lot to our team that other QBs wouldn't have.
    Last edited by copenhaggard; 01-15-2007 at 02:57 PM.