Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: LJ Smith signed by Ravens (supposedly)

Quote Originally Posted by TheExtraPoint View Post
    LJ Smith's is a poor man's Antonio Gates in terms of style of play, and I think fits solidly here. I would have traded for Tony Scheffler personally, but that's why I don't get paid the big bucks.

This is a good fit for Cam Cameron, and I do think it's likely the end of Todd Heap here. TE is not a priority position in the NFL, and bodies are easy to come by. Investing a lot of money in that position is not wise unless you are dealing with an elite player or players, neither of which Smith or Heap are.

So I'll like this move a lot more if it spells the end of Todd Heap's tenure here. But for now, until Heap's future is decided and the contract numbers come out, the jury is out IMO.

How can you say Todd Heap isn't an elite TE? Maybe we have different perceptions of the definition of the word. Yes, Heap has had some very unlucky injuries and hasn't had all the catches and touchdowns that he used to, but in this past season's offense he hasn't had the opportunities he used to. He's being used more to protect Flacco and block than to make plays down the field. I think he does his job and then some.

Re: LJ Smith signed by Ravens (supposedly)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxjockey View Post
    How can you say Todd Heap isn't an elite TE? Maybe we have different perceptions of the definition of the word. Yes, Heap has had some very unlucky injuries and hasn't had all the catches and touchdowns that he used to, but in this past season's offense he hasn't had the opportunities he used to. He's being used more to protect Flacco and block than to make plays down the field. I think he does his job and then some.
    Most (but not all)fans have been trying to run Heap out of town for 2 years now,get used to it on this board and any other one you read.

He is pretty much worthless in their eyes,and is "finished".

It's possible to show he may have never been elite, and it certainly stands to say those days are in the rearview.
    I agree, if Pettigrew fell I'd still pick him up and cut Heap. If not, select a guy day 2 and have a nice camp battle between Heap, Smith, Syp and Rook and one will get cut. The rook would likely be the only one PS eligible, but if he beats Syp out no biggie, especially as he is no guarantee, coming off injury.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    It's possible to show he may have never been elite, and it certainly stands to say those days are in the rearview.
    I agree, if Pettigrew fell I'd still pick him up and cut Heap. If not, select a guy day 2 and have a nice camp battle between Heap, Smith, Syp and Rook and one will get cut. The rook would likely be the only one PS eligible, but if he beats Syp out no biggie, especially as he is no guarantee, coming off injury.

I think they will still draft a rookie high and I agree they would take Pettigrew in a heartbeat if he were to still be there.

What this means for Heap, I'm not sure.

Smith and Heap are the same type of player, a pass catcher first and not much of a blocker. I've got no problem with the signing given the modest cost, but it strikes me as a bit of an odd fit. Most teams that use 2 TE set have one TE who is a good blocker first. Neither Heap or Smith fit that role.

Also, Smith had options and while Detroit is Detroit, it's still a starting job. If he's going to take just a 1-year deal, that would seem to be a better place to go in order to postition himself for a bigger contract next year.

So, while it remains to be seen what happens during the draft, if they were to draft a WR early, I'm not so sure that they wouldn't look to move Heap for a draft pick.

And, to be clear, Heap is one of my favorite Ravens, so this isn't a case of wanting him out of town. It's just that I find this signing to be curious.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I wonder if Heap's back was worse than we were told? Even worse than rumored?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Lets not go overboard now,she obviously is getting info from Florio who conicidently now appears on the show regularly.Funny how the Chris Carr signing and this one was reported(by her) within an hour of PFT putting the news up on their site.

Coincidence? I think not.

Florio gets radio time,and Manita gets tipped off every once in a while to make her look good.

Thats just a business arrangement that works out for both parties.
    So what a source is a source. She is trying to do a job. She was digging around and got the story out first. That is what reporting is about. I am not a big fan of Anita's but people are overboard on ripping her.

Blog Entries

I'd pass on him at that price.....seems we maybe could have had him for less. Its only a 1-year deal so I guess its not too bad....

This is good news. Oz filling holes so that on draft day we can go best player available.

Neither Heap or AJ are long term TE answers so I can definitely see us trying to get our hands on a good TE in the draft. Looking forward to seeing us use a two tight end set!!

Don't Read To Much Into This, Its A One Year Deal That Will Help With Depth,,, Also We Can Still Add Someone In The Draft, , This Fills A Need And Allows Us To Draft The Best Player Available

This team is shaping up very complete. AS Lot H mentioned, we are getting close to being able to TRULY select BPA in round 1. We could use a pass rusher and an elite WR, there are no truly thin areas of the roster past that. Those two areas should get preference, bu tthere is enough depth to address them later if a truly elite prospect falls.

Quote Originally Posted by LOT"H"TAILGATER View Post
    Don't Read To Much Into This, Its A One Year Deal That Will Help With Depth,,, Also We Can Still Add Someone In The Draft, , This Fills A Need And Allows Us To Draft The Best Player Available
    Why do you capitalize the first letter of every word? Makes it very tough to read what you're trying to say.