Samari Rolle At NB?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...orts-headlines

This is the second article in which Preston hints that Rolle may be moved to NB. This could either mean that:

1. Our first draft pick will be a CB.

2. They maybe like Ronnie Prude as a potential starting candidate at the 2nd CB position. I think David Pittman has to improve his work ethic which has come in question this year. Derrick Martin is apparently going to be switched to safety and backup Landry and Reed with Gerome Sapp being a UFA that probably won't be back.

Next year's secondary could be

1CB: CMAC
    2CB: Prude or drafted CB
    NB: Rolle
    DB: Ivy
    SS: Landry
    FS: Reed
    backup safety: Martin
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Samari Rolle At NB?

Rolle would be a suitable NB, no doubt.

I would also bet that Sapp will be back.

I don't know if they'll restrict Martin to safety. I see him as being able to play both, but his potential CB skills are through the roof. He might be one of the best pure athletes in the secondary and he's got very good size. He's so young and so raw that he could eventually turn out to be a starting corner in the NFL (even his draft report suggested this).

I still haven't given up on Pittman, because his performance in college and the Senior Bowl should not be forgotten so soon. Given more time, he may be able to start in the NFL. If the Ravens go CB on the first day, it shows that they aren't feeling too good about Pittman.

Prude is obviously a guy that has a lot of potential, and he already has made an impact. It seems he may also be starting material.

Ivy has been a very good NB for us this year, but will probably never be a starter.

All 3 of these guys could potentially be starters one day, and it would be tough to say at this point if the Ravens would even take a CB in the first two rounds unless McCauley falls in the first, or Bennett/Wilson are around in the 3rd.

I thought a traditional NB is someone whose chief advantage is *speed*, because for the NB often the sideline is not there to help, and you need to stay with your man wherever he goes. So I'm not sure it's somewhere we would want an older CB who may be a little *slower* then he was.

Remember our current NB is Corey Ivey, a speedy madman who is always going 110%. Ivey is (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) much more the traditional NB.

I know Preston wrote it, but that doesn't mean it's true.

I would guess we'll see Rolle at CB again next year, and I think we could do a lot worse. Remember on Saturday he covered Reggie Wayne of the Indianapolis Colts pretty effectively; it's not like he's terrible. If he's not starting at CB, he may see some action at NB or DB but I doubt we will see him primarily as our 'starting' NB.
    Last edited by festivus; 01-15-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: clarity
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I disagree. First of all a nickel needs to be able to tackle better than an outside CB, Rolle is a terrible tackler. Second, NB is not a problem area. Ivy was rarely beaten. Rolle was the DB getting lit up all year. You don't mess with something that isn't broken.

I would either keep him outside, or cut him...I do not think he would be a good nickel.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

The only way I see Rolle cut is if we pick up someone unbelieveable in the draft in the first round.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I don't think he'll get cut either, I think he'll be starting again next year. I just don't feel he would be an adequate nickel guy, his skills don't fit what you look for in a nickel.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Personally, I think Rolle would make a great nickel. We just can't have him giving top WRs these 15 yard cushions. Way too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    The only way I see Rolle cut is if we pick up someone unbelieveable in the draft in the first round.
    no way do we cut rolle.

Rolle is going to be your starting CB. The young guys we have are not ready to start in the NFL. He just needs to take this time off to get his confidence back. He did a decent job against Reggie Wayne in the playoff game.