Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Even though the Ravens aren't getting any Compensatory picks this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    If anyone is interested, this guy also has an interesting blog entry about a method the Saints have used to circumvent the 30-percent-rule.

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/03...cent-rule.html

In essence, by using a "completion bonus" in a few new contracts, the Saints have rolled large portions of guaranteed money into next years cap, while leaving this year's cap hit small.
    As they say,there are ways around everything.

I wonder why no other teams found this loophole and exploited it like the Saints did?

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    As they say,there are ways around everything.

I wonder why no other teams found this loophole and exploited it like the Saints did?
    It doesn't seem like many teams found it in time.

I wonder if the Ravens knew - and if this loophole may have allowed us to hold onto Bart?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswarrior19 View Post
    It doesn't seem like many teams found it in time.

I wonder if the Ravens knew - and if this loophole may have allowed us to hold onto Bart?

I doubt it. Regardless of how we structured it to make him fit, we would still have had to outbid the Jets which apparently we were not going to do.

OTOH, this method may help them get something done with Suggs.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I provided that link as part of the plan to pursue Peppers. It is only one player and we have more than enough coming off the books in dead money to handle his entire salary in the future even if there is a cap, if we can just get by this year, we will be in good shape. Mason, Pryce and Gregg and many of the over 30 club can be dropped in the uncapped season.

Teams have set themselves up to clear cap space in 2010. I do not think enough of them will want to try to get the new deal in place in time to prevent at least one uncapped year. I do not think the owners are afraid they can not get it back in place and are ready to gamble and to call some of the bluffs.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I doubt it. Regardless of how we structured it to make him fit, we would still have had to outbid the Jets which apparently we were not going to do.

OTOH, this method may help them get something done with Suggs.
    You're probably right, but we'll never know for sure...

With this tool assuring us we could fit it all in, would we have been willing to increase our offer? Did we have to flat out outbid the Jets, or just get really close?

The loophole would have at least changed the dynamics of the negotiation in those last days before free agency. (Assuming we didn't know about it)