Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Now, Let's Talk Draft

Troy smith would be decent from the very end of the 2nd to the end of the 4th. If Smith is really there in the 4th, I don't see how he's not worth the pick. Yeah yeah, not great in one big game, but he's been unreal in lots of other big games. I think he's viable and not nearly as bad as people say. I'm not saying get him, but it's an option.

Also, there is Chris Leak in the 4th-5th. Kid played really well with the short passing game and he's got a bloody cannon for an arm. That's something else to check out. Did very well in the "throw the ball all over the field" passing game.

We have lots of options...think about a RB...lynch might fall, bush may be around there (and he can catch out of the backfield! even though jamal's improved we need to work with things on that).

Brohm might be there. Stanton in the later rounds.

Think we'll be looking LB (if AD leaves), QB, RB in the first day. I wouldn't be surprised by OL or a CB as well.

I just hope we get someone with all the tools for the QB of the future. Boller might not have been excellent or anything, but his ability to put that ball up to D-Will and Clayton when he came in the second time. Imagine how much that opens up the offense.

1. I am estimating that we will pick 25th overall in the first round, but someone can confirm or come up with a better number, have at it.
    I'm almost certain the Ravens will be picking 29th, with the Chargers at 30, followed by the two Super Bowl teams.

Players that would look great there are DE/LB Jarvis Moss, CB Brian Leonard, or CB Leon Hall.
    Although he's a great prospect, Brian Leonard is a fullback.

As far as some others, Brian Brohm, if he comes out, will likely be gone by the 15th pick. A more realistic option would be Colt Brennan. Otherwise, you're probably looking at Kevin Kolb, Trent Edwards or Drew Staton (who scares the hell out of me) in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'm still not sure on Troy Smith one way or the other, but I will say this much about him- his record in big games was stellar before that game against Florida.

I tend to agree with RavenFanatic that more speed on offense and an explosive running back is probably the biggest need as we sit right now. I really think you might start to see them hone in on Marshawn Lynch and make a move up to get him if he falls to around 20 or so. Michael Bush and Kenny Irons are other names to keep an eye on as well. Obviously, a lot depends on what happens between now and then, though.

If we ended up in this draft with Brohm and Bush/Irons or Lynch and Troy Smith I'd just about piss myself with glee.

In round one we're in almost the ideal position where RBs are tending to fall for recent years, though a fair few teams ahead of us I can see picking up backs.

If Chris Chester slides inside to centre then I'm all for picking up Justin Blalock to play RG and then I think we're just looking for depth behind a line of Terry, Brown, Chester, Blalock and Pashos for the future.

At CB I'm intrigued where we go, Pittman can no way be pronounced as a bust yet, he's a first year guy out of a small school, he's got the talent but it just takes time for these kids from small schools to come through. I'd not be surprised to see us go through FA for corner and wait on Pittman who I'm sure I've heard De Costa comment a couple of times on how highly he rates him.

Clearly we will be looking at QBs and one for round 2 that I really hope we take a long look at is Trent Edwards of Stanford. Never had a lot of talent around him down there but he has all the tools and when in the pros with more talent around him he won't have to force things and should flourish in the pros.

I'm a certified hugger, but you don't pass up a bargain, and Kyle can use some competition down the road. Colt Brennan strikes me as a good way to provide that. I was unable to locate a good profile on him, so here's a brief blurb...
    "Brennan joined Hawaii in 2005 and quickly grabbed the starting spot at quarterback. He started 10 of 12 games, the only games he did not start being against USC and San Diego State. Brennan either tied or broke 11 UH offensive records in what was a wildly successful first season with the Warriors. Brennan led the country in total offense yards (4,455) and touchdowns thrown (35). His 4,301 yards passing is the eighth-most in Western Athletic Conference history. Against New Mexico State (Oct. 15), Brennan posted career-high numbers in passing yards (515), touchdowns (7), and pass completions (38). He also had nine 300+ yard performances on the season, including four 400+ yard games and a 515-yard performance.

Brennan entered the 2006 NCAA Division I-A football season as the undisputed starter at quarterback, was named to multiple award watch lists and was voted the WAC's preseason offensive player of the year. He led the nation in scoring and passing efficiency, finishing the regular season with a 182.8 rating, and completed 72.15% of his passes, the best mark in Division I-A.

During the regular season, Brennan passed for 53 touchdowns, one shy of the NCAA Division I-A single-season touchdown record of 54 (set in 1990 by David Klingler of The University of Houston). On December 24, 2006, at the Hawaii Bowl, Brennan threw for 5 touchdowns to break the record. (Stats accumulated during the post season now count towards records).[3] The Warriors finished the regular season with a 11-3 record, placing second in the WAC behind Boise State.

Brennan finished sixth in the 2006 Heisman race, behind winner Troy Smith, Darren McFadden, Brady Quinn, Steve Slaton, and Mike Hart.[4] During the regular season, Colt Brennan threw for 4,990 yards, 53 touchdowns, and the highest passer efficiency in America. Should Brennan return for his senior season, he is expected to be a top contender for the 2007 Heisman.[5] According to Hawaii's coach June Jones, "Colt is a money guy. Colt is what I said he is: the best college quarterback in America, and he proved it tonight." [6] Brennan plans to submit his name to the NFL's underclassman advisory committee to gauge where pro scouts and personnel directors project he'd be selected in the NFL Draft.[1] Brennan is currently 50-50 on whether he will declare for the draft.[7] He has scheduled a press conference on January 15, 2007 to announce his decision on whether to turn professional.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Colt Brennan is an intriguing QB prospect, but I have heard he is just a product of the Hawaii system and inferior competition. I suspect that if we drafted Colt, there will be Colt huggers and Colt haters. Plus the first name would really spark talk around here.

What is the issue with Drew Stanton?

As far as OL is concerned, Viv and bulldog talked about how there is not much available at OL outside of Justin Blalock and he could go in the mid rounds. They also mentioned that the RB class is not great outside of Lynch and Peterson (if he comes out) and Bush.

I still say to go DE/LB or CB with that first pick unless someone falls.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Colt Brennan is going back to school (3rd year) and will likely be the top QB prospect in the '08 draft

Colt Brennan is a junior and has not decided whether he is returning for his senior season. Returning to school cost Leinart millions, so I doubt Brennan makes that same mistake.

Brennan is not a top prospect. He'd be insane to come out this year just to go in the middle rounds and sit for an eternity. He should go back to Hawai'i, break some more records, have a ton of fun and then let the Draft happen for him. He's not gonna be a top prospect next year either in all likelihood.

Brohm going back to school is interesting and barring a bad year next year he'll be a first round prospect next year and one of the top QBs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6370448

Brohm is returning for his senoir season. Bad idea.

I got bored and surfed up some mocks....I agree, bad idea for Brohm. He'll be a 1st rounder and the new regime could destroy his draft status.

Here are the top few guys that are getting pegged to us
    The big Five
    1) Michael Bush RB:
    1a) Troy Smith QB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhDt75OXfc0
    2) Kenny Irons RB Auburn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQDpm...elated&search=
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...irons%22&hl=en
    3) Buster Davis ILB Florida:
    4) Quentin Moses DE Georgia

Random other guys
    Lamarr Woodley OLB/DE Michigan
    Ryan Kalil C USC
    Drew Stanton QB Mich St.
    Joe Stanley OT C. Mich.
    Justin Blalock OG/OT Texas
    Arron Sears OT Tenn.
    Lawrence Timmons OLB FL.
    Mkristo Bruce, DE Washington State
    Levi Brown OT Penn. St.
    Marshawn Lynch RB Cal.

So seems that we're getting pegged for OT/RB/QB.
    I'd flip out if Lynch was around at pick 28/29.....Bush I think would be a great addition to this sqaud. Bush-Anderson is a great combination.
    Last edited by ExiledRaven; 01-15-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Brohm probably wouldn't have gone ahead of Russell or Quinn in this draft, but he instantly becomes one of the favorites to be the No. 1 overall pick in 2008. Staying in school was not a bad idea at all.

Brennan isn't the typical Hawaii QB, he has a good arm, can make all the throws has good mobility and good poise. He's a very good prospect and depending on his workouts, he'll go anywhere from the late 1st to the late 2nd. Brohm not being in the draft only helps his draft ranking.

The biggest issue with Stanton is inconsistency. One time you'll see him and think that he's better than any of the QBs in this draft, Quinn and Russell included. Other times, he come off as be being no better than an undrafted free agent.