Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Re: Now, Let's Talk Draft

This is a weird draft for us.

Normally at this time we start fussing and moaning about WRs and the Offensive line. We don't really need either in the first round.

Our defense is the number one ranked D in the NFL.

We're not drafting a QB in the first round.

So RB, CB and maybe Outside Linebacker. That's what we need this time around.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

The QB crop is pretty weak this year, but I would take a chance on Jordan Palmer. He has a very good arm and good bloodlines. He is someone we could develop behind McNair for 2 or 3 years. I think either Jordan Palmer or Drew Stanton are guys to gamble on. I would also look at Tyler Palko as someone to challenge Drew Olson.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    If the Chargers put the top tender on Turner (I fully expect them to) then it won't just be a 1st for Turner, it'll be a 1st and a 3rd. We won't get anything in return. The Chargers are in a sellers market, teams need RBs and they're in a position where they have a surplus. However they don't HAVE to get rid of Turner and in fact would be well served not to in terms of maintaining depth at RB. They are in a position where they won't offload him unless they get absolutely blown away by an offer or someone decides to tender him a ridiculous contract offer and give up the draft picks in compensation.
    It is being widely reported that the Jets are going after Turner,willing to give up their first round pick which Im sure is at least 5 spots higher than ours.

The last thing we need to do is get into a bidding war.

best option at RB will probably be something like Bush or Irons being around in the second round

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    best option at RB will probably be something like Bush or Irons being around in the second round

Unless someone significantly drops (like Lynch), I am all for trading down and even out of the first round. If we can somehow end up with three 2nd round picks, we could clean up this year with a Ben Grubbs at the top of the 2nd round, a Michael Bush in the middle of the 2nd round, and a Jarvis Moss at the end of the 2nd round.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

If we had three picks in the second, it might certainly be possible to get those three around that area.

Wouldn't THAT ever be a ridiculous draft. Well, we think it would be good now...

I would think a running back would be a top priority. A quarterback in the first day might be a possibility as well. Worst case scenario, we draft a good lineman. Doesn't matter what side of the ball as long as he's solid.

The more I look at this draft, the more and more I see massive drop off where there are tons of guy who are second round talents that are hyped or thought to fit "needs" that are getting slotted in.

The top 10 seems decent, but after that it goes downhill fast unlike previous years where you're seeing a guy like maroney or addai at the end of the 1st

The more I look at this draft, the more and more I see massive drop off where there are tons of guy who are second round talents that are hyped or thought to fit "needs" that are getting slotted in.

The top 10 seems decent, but after that it goes downhill fast unlike previous years where you're seeing a guy like maroney or addai at the end of the 1st
    W hear this every year though.

Who are your top 10 prospects and then who are your next tier prospects

I took a harder look, I'm gonna go with after 15-16 (russell, thomas, quinn, c. johnson, branch, jamaal anderson, peterson, okoye, gaines adams, laron landry, lynch, jarrett, leon hall, revis, ted ginn/reggie nelson)

And yeah, we hear this every year. I agree.

like I said before, it's not like I can go and point a finger at a player right now and go "that's who we're after". I really felt from the get-go that we should get Ngata and Clayton. This year, I really can locate a guy like that.

Rather, I see a collection of players that look available and could be worth the slot, but I can't focus down on one of them
    1) Ben Grubbs ~ super atheltic guard, but is raw and just say no to round 1 guards
    2) Blalock ~ more of a guard as opposed to a tackle, less mobile.
    3) Arron Sears ~ he's the #3 tackle in the draft and from reports was very solid at the senior bowl though he's more of a do it all decent than a master of one thing.
    4) Patrick Willis ~ 6-2 240 4.6...supposedly weaker in coverage, and has trouble shedding big blockers, but the whole MO of our team is to prevent LBs from having to deal with the blocks.
    5) Quentin Moses ~ questionable at being around, but is a great OLB-DE tweener that fits the mold of Suggs, undersized quick DE.

Ideally, there are some other players we'd never get that might be worth trading up for if they start to fall: Okoye, Lynch, Timmons, Levi Brown, Dwayne Bowe.

All sorts of people (random mocks) seem to want Troy Smith or Michael Bush and that doesn't really make sense.
    Bush should be there in the second and there is still a big question mark about the injury recovery and experience playing RB, Smith wants to be a Brown (yeah...LBJ of the NFL?) and may not go until round 3 or 4.

So I guess you can see my point...too many people, no idea what's going on. But I do like the idea of getting Moses or Willis. Have to see combine results before we get the better idea on projections of some of the less well known players

like I said before, it's not like I can go and point a finger at a player right now and go "that's who we're after". I really felt from the get-go that we should get Ngata and Clayton. This year, I really can locate a guy like that.
    I have always saw Buster Davis as a Ravens type player. He is an undersized Linebacker and doesnt have the fastest 40 time but he has tremendous instincts and is faster on the football field than his 40 time would indicate. He is a very hard hitter and was the unquestionable leader of the Florida State defense. Plus he is always around the football on just about every play

The guy is going to be a stud in the NFL and could definately fill the void that may happen once AD is gone. Buster Davis may fall in the draft to late first early second. I guarantee you that if he falls far enough Ozzie will grab him the first chance he gets

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post
    I have always saw Buster Davis as a Ravens type player. He is an undersized Linebacker and doesnt have the fastest 40 time but he has tremendous instincts and is faster on the football field than his 40 time would indicate. He is a very hard hitter and was the unquestionable leader of the Florida State defense. Plus he is always around the football on just about every play

The guy is going to be a stud in the NFL and could definately fill the void that may happen once AD is gone. Buster Davis may fall in the draft to late first early second. I guarantee you that if he falls far enough Ozzie will grab him the first chance he gets
    I am an FSU fan, but Buster is too slow and too small. Of course two years from now I may be saying, "Did I REALLY say that?
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM