Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Now, Let's Talk Draft

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    If you're impressed by him carving up that stellar Arizona State D, wait till you see what he did to the stout Idaho defense.

Don't get this decision by Brennan, he may be striking whilst the iron is hottest, but seriously, he's not a great pro prospect (not a great arm and is very slight) and if I were in his shoes I'd go back to Hawai'i, break some more records, have a ton of fun in the process and then worry about the NFL when I have to.
    I disagree. His arm looked good enough to me, and he is very accurate, something that can't be taught. (Just ask Boller).

This is a guy I'd take in the 2nd round and sit him behind McNair and Boller.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Hawaii bowl ~ He's got the arm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUMH5hQXHQ

They say his size (6-3, 198lbs) would keep him out of the first round, so he won't be a 1st rounder. I would take him in the second round and let him grow into his frame.

When is this fanbase ever patient enough to let someone develop as they need?

People were calling Terry a bust after his rookie year for being unable to play RT (even though he was never going to be able to and we knew that when he was drafted). People are calling Pittman a bust after his rookie year even though he's a small school guy who needs time to learn more complex schemes and coverages and to adjust to a level of football way above what he last played at.

It's all well and good saying 'let him develop' 'let him grow into his frame' but I just don't trust that this fan base will sit and wait on a 2nd round pick.

Whatever QB we take this year sits until '08 unless Mac9 is carted off the field and Boller is carted off the field...well, most likely.

I also like the idea of a DE/LB like Spencer or a RB.

It's a long long time until draft day, lots of things can happen

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    When is this fanbase ever patient enough to let someone develop as they need?

People were calling Terry a bust after his rookie year for being unable to play RT (even though he was never going to be able to and we knew that when he was drafted). People are calling Pittman a bust after his rookie year even though he's a small school guy who needs time to learn more complex schemes and coverages and to adjust to a level of football way above what he last played at.

It's all well and good saying 'let him develop' 'let him grow into his frame' but I just don't trust that this fan base will sit and wait on a 2nd round pick.
    I hear you, but that is how everyone's fanbase is: impatient. The great thing is that Ozzie does not run our organization based on our feelings, and that's what makes Ozzie the best GM in football.

1) Brennan is a really nice player. He definitely has the raw skills, but he will need to learn a pro offense. Not just another Hawaii QB.

2) Peterson at 29, now that is funny. The dude is going to be a top 10 pick.

3) Troy Smith had character issues a long, long time ago. They shouldn't effect his chances today.

4) Can't make a choice based on how you gauge a fanbase. Most popular guy in any football town is the backup QB. QBs need to sit at least one season.

Can someone provide insight into RB-Antonio Pittman, what kind of prospect is he, and where he projects to go.

As with anything right now it's very early but common consensus is round 2 or 3. Solid back, nothing flash.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    The more video I see, the more I think Kenny Irons is a better choice for us compared to Bush. Hits the hole fast, breaks tackles....can he catch is going to be the big concern. If he can't, then all of that doesn't matter...not looking really great though.

PROS
    Irons has good speed, and runs very hard. Has great vision and hits the whole hard. For a smaller sized running back he fights very hard and does not give up after the first hit.

CONS
    Had a down senior year. A little small for a running back and needs to put on some more weight. Needs to work on catching out of the backfield.

Strengths:
    Displays good vision and instincts and is a natural runner...Is more quick than fast...Patient but he will explode through the hole when it opens...Will run with authority and plays like a much bigger back...Good athleticism and the agility to change directions...Is dangerous in space and will run away from people...Gets the most out of every run...Doesn't have a lot of mileage on his tires...You simply can't ignore the history his school has of sending guys at his position to the pros.

Weaknesses:
    Timed speed is only average...He does not have the type of size, strength or bulk you'd prefer...Appears to have okay hands but his experience as a receiver in the passing game is limited...Does his best as a blocker but is only adequate and will get overwhelmed...Ball security is an issue...Was hurt a lot in '06 and durability is a concern...Has to keep his pad level down...Does not break a ton of tackles and won't run people over...Did not have the senior campaign most were expecting.
    All these great comments are true, but I would bet that Irons is not on Ozzie's draft board. He will find something wrong with him. Do a little research - in Ozzie's entire career he has NEVER drafted a player from Auburn. No matter how great the talent (ahem - we took Pittman over Marcus McNeil remember) They will find something wrong with him and find a reason for the Alabama guy not to find anything good coming out of Auburn

Quote Originally Posted by donnaj View Post
    All these great comments are true, but I would bet that Irons is not on Ozzie's draft board. He will find something wrong with him. Do a little research - in Ozzie's entire career he has NEVER drafted a player from Auburn. No matter how great the talent (ahem - we took Pittman over Marcus McNeil remember) They will find something wrong with him and find a reason for the Alabama guy not to find anything good coming out of Auburn
    Marcus Mcneil was picked with the 50th overall pick in the 2nd round,while David Pittman was pick 87 in the 3rd round

Ozzie Newsome is employed by the Ravens and his job is to bring in the BEST players regardless of what school they went to,and so far he has done a pretty good job doing so.

I doubt he would let a bias come in to play especially in the first round of the draft.

I need to clear something up. I originally posted that we would be picking 29th, but that is incorrect.

Our official draft position is 27th with SD at 28. This information comes from draft.com, the official site for the various drafts.

Sorry guys.