Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Now, Let's Talk Draft

1. I am estimating that we will pick 25th overall in the first round, but someone can confirm or come up with a better number, have at it.

2. This year's OL and RB crop looks unimpressive, so it looks like we could be looking defense with that first pick. My hope is that we either go CB, DE, or LB with that first pick. Players that would look great there are DE/LB Jarvis Moss, CB Brian Leonard, or CB Leon Hall. If Michael Bush is there in the second round, and he could be with his injury history, I would take him.

3. Someone on the scout board stated that we have two 2nd rounders. I have posted a question to Aaron Wilson and should hear back on that.

4. We should draft our QB of the future this year. If Brian Brohm is there in the first round, then I'd take him over the other mentioned players. Brohm could be one of those guys that shoot up the boards, ala Jay Cutler, so he may go in the top 15 after all is said and done. Maybe, Jemarcus Russell falls in the draft ala Aaron Rogers, but that would be hopeful thinking. Stay faaaaarrrrrrr away from Troy Smith. Troy Smith will go second day and in a late round like the 6th or 7th at best. I think he goes undrafted unless he changes positions.

5. We ought to pick up three OL in the mid rounds. Although this OL crop looks weak, who knows what will happen. We should draft two tackles and a interior OL prospect.

6. If we are as successful with this draft as we were with the past two, then I am not worried about our mini cap purge after 2008, which may not even happen.

Thoughts?
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Blog Entries

Re: Now, Let's Talk Draft

I think JeMarcus Russell would be fantastic...but he won't slip that far!

We won't draft 25, my guess was 29 or 30. I think it goes by best regular season record with the exception of the SB winner who drafts last.

Ozzie will always draft BPA, but I see our needs as CB, RB, LB, G/C and QB. Pittman is likely a bust and we can't count on him being around next year. I don't see Jamal taking a pay cut. I see him going to...Cleveland.

AD is as good as gone. Thanks for the memories, big guy. So we'll need linebacking help.

If JO retires (Somehow I think he won't as long as he's given a commitment that the run O is going to get a major talent infusion), then we'll need to draft OT to compete with Terry.

And we probably need a kick returner.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    We won't draft 25, my guess was 29 or 30. I think it goes by best regular season record with the exception of the SB winner who drafts last.

Ozzie will always draft BPA, but I see our needs as CB, RB, LB, G/C and QB. Pittman is likely a bust and we can't count on him being around next year. I don't see Jamal taking a pay cut. I see him going to...Cleveland.

AD is as good as gone. Thanks for the memories, big guy. So we'll need linebacking help.

If JO retires (Somehow I think he won't as long as he's given a commitment that the run O is going to get a major talent infusion), then we'll need to draft OT to compete with Terry.

And we probably need a kick returner.
    I am happy with BJ Sams as both KR/PR. I'll never complain about him again.

I did not know they still went according to team record. I thought the teams that are in the playoffs were ordered according to when they were eliminated. Let me know.

Can someone let me know about the extra 2nd rounder and where it came from?

As for AD, I agree and I have the perfect replacement if he's there in the first round: Jarvis Moss-DE from Florida. He is a Ravens-type player. Otherwise, I'd go CB or QB if Jemarcus Russell or Brian Brohm is there.

We do not have 2 2nd rounders I believe his thinking was we trade back and pick up a 2nd rounder

Zero chance Russell is there unless he breaks his leg or gets charged with a felony before April. I would be shocked if he is not taken by the Raiders at #1. If not he wont get past 5.

I agree with PurpleRulz about Moss from FLA. He is a beast and definately a "Raven type player."

Other than that I am not up to speed on the draft. Certainly wasnt thinking that would be our focus today.

I want Tyrone Moss along with Jarvis.

Tyrone to replace Jamal

My thing is if we draft a DE, I want it to be a true DE, if we draft an OLB, I want it to be a true OLB. No more tweeners. Edit: Unless it's someone like AD that can "do it all"

I think RB and more team speed offensively is by far our biggest need. Not so much if we trade Mason and insert Williams into the starting lineup, but who knows if that will happen and we still need an explosive RB.
    Last edited by RavenFanatic2k6; 01-14-2007 at 11:02 PM.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

To say that this years OL crop is poor is a HUGE understatement.

At OT there's Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Joe Staley, Ryan Harris, and Aaron Sears-- all potential STUDS in the NFL.

At OG there's Justin Blalock, who could be the best OL to come out in years. Sears may also project as an OG. There's also a few others (Beekman, Grubbs) who are solid prospects. Good depth guys should be available well after the first round.

OLB this year is solid, and Anthony Spencer (DE/OLB) from Purdue would be a solid pick in the first two rounds. Jarvis Moss is also intriguing. But you know who I'd love to replace AD with?

EARL EVERETT!!!

Productive and a freak of nature. He's tall (6'3'') and could use to gain another ten pounds, but he could start immediately.

CB is a need, and Josh Wilson, Fred Bennet, Aaron Ross, Daymeion Hughes, or Marcus McCauley could all fit the bill, and start off the bat. Although, I wouldn't give up hope on Prude, Martin, or Pittman. Any of those three could develop into starters in the NFL. Martin is a rare athlete, Pittman was a stud in college (give him time), and Prude was a diamond in the rough.

This years RB class is a bit thin, but Bush or Irons would be great pickups on the first day. Maybe Tony Hunt, but maybe Daniels will come through for us. I also think that Kenny Darby may be a big sleeper in the draft. Keep your eyes out for him on the second day; he might be a star on the right team.

This year it will come down to BPA, as it always does.

I'd like to see:
    1. Michael Bush
    2. Earl Everett/Anthony Spencer
    3. Josh Wilson/Fred Bennett/Dameion Hughes

A QB would be a nice pickup (Brohm) if available, but I wouldn't count on it.

My ideal draft:
    1a Brohm
    1b Marshawn Lynch
    1c Michael Bush

2a Kenny Irons
    2b Josh Wilson (probably a pipe dream)

3 CB/interior lineman

4 Troy Smith (assuming no QB earlier)

Absolutely no chance JaMarcus drops. Some people think Oakland will take him #2.

Marshawn Lynch would be phenomenal at RB. Brohm would be excellent as well. Irons would fit the power running personality.

My favorite draft is Lynch, Wilson, CB/OG, Troy Smith, or the dark horse: Kevin Kolb. He would have some work to do mainly working out of shotgun, but he is good in the pocket, quick, and has a nice arm.

The only problem with Troy Smith is his height. He has a strong arm, accuracy, leadership, speed, and pocket presence. He can be my QB any day.

I still say stay faaaarrrrr away from Troy Smith. He has Pam Anderson's chest written all over him.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    I still say stay faaaarrrrr away from Troy Smith. He has Pam Anderson's chest written all over him.
    Really not much of an investment for a 4th rounder/5th.

Worst case scenario you spend a late round pick getting a typical unproductive player, best case you get a franchise QB. As I said, he's got all the tools.