Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One and done

Re: One and done

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Skay it was reported on NST recently Turner is a RFA and we'd have to give up a 1st rounder. Interesting question whether he'd be worth it.
    Tough call. I could think of better deals, and I could think of worse. Fortunately, there's still some time to sort all this out.

GO RAVENS!!!

How pathetic is it that the only way Oldfan defends McNair is by pointing to other poor games that Peyton Manning & Tom Brady had?

Guess what Tex? It doesn't make any fucking difference! McNair played horribly and LOST the game for the Ravens. The other two guys are still in the dance. 2 interceptions at CRUCIAL times and a fumble at the end of the game. Even though Manning's numbers were worse, he still played the better game. He was getting his team downfield and putting together decent drives against the best defense in the NFL. McNair wasn't playing the best defense in the NFL--he was playing the f'ing Colts.

Now, if McNair had been playing lights out all season, I might be singing a different tune. He's contributed to the Ravens having a great TOP, but has also really played like shit at times. His arm is a freaking noodle, and his decision making has been questionable at times. I think most of the season the guy was hanging on by a thread, and now the thread has snapped. Physically, he just can't do it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    Physically, he just can't do it anymore.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you account for his 40 yard spot-on pass to Clayton?

GO RAVENS!!!

Just out of curiosity, how do you account for his 40 yard spot-on pass to Clayton?
    Does a 40 yard pass qualify a guy as being a gunslinger now? How do you account for his 2 interceptions and noodle-armed passes throughout the year?

That particular pass wasn't a bullet, or an out that required some zip on the ball. It was a bit of a lob that was over Claytons head; a fly route I believe. It was a pass that didn't require much arm-strength at all. A good, accurate pass, nonetheless, but not tremendously impressive. Sorry.

McNair can make some throws, but it seems that he's been unable to make the ones that count. He has a hard time throwing any medium to deep outs with any zip, and his accuracy has been struggling.

McNair definitely did some things well this season, but it seems that he's struggled more than he's played well. He did a great job with keeping the TOP on the Ravens side, and he's made some plays with his feet, as well as in the dink-and-dunk game. But, he's made too many throws that have had no zip and no accuracy.

Arm strength isn't about being able to throw 40 yard fly routes, it's about being able to throw the ball with some velocity while maintaining some accuracy. McNair RARELY did that this season. He was a good game manager, but I'm afraid we need more than that at this point because of our absent running game.

I loved Steve this season, but I think it's dishonest to say that he hasn't looked physically beat at times.

Thanks for your response, LBoogy. Personally, I think arm strength is over-rated. When it comes to McNair, I think he has enough tools to get the job done, and that was my point about the 40 yarder to Clayton -- because people often say he can't go deep. He may not be able to toss the rock 60 yards in the air, but I don't think that's necessarily the key to a successful QB.

Unfortunately, Steve didn't show up with his "A" game against Indy. He also wasn't helped by Billick's insane game planning either. And I think both of them know that they stunk up the place. Also, McNair has had some other bad games during the year. But so have Manning, Brady, & Grossman. I'd like to see how McNair does next year after having gotten familiar with our system this year. Hopefully, he'll have a better RB and O-line, but that remains to be seen.

All in all, I didn't feel he was a "stick a fork in him, he's done" player, the way I did about Jamal Lewis for the first half of the season. By the end, Lewis showed more, and maybe if Billick had gone more to Lewis in the second half against Indy, we'd still be in the playoffs. But that notwithstanding, I'd like to see us beef up the running game via draft/FA in terms of a better RB to replace JL and compliment Anderson, along with some O-line changes/upgrades.

GO RAVENS!!!

Skay, I don't follow your call for an O-line upgrade. Our O-line is vastly improved from a year ago, and has good young depth behind a group of established veterans. I can see asking for Brown and Chester to overtake Mulitalo and Vincent (or maybe Flynn), but there's no reason to go pay big money to a star OL... if we add anyone it will be in the depth department. The line excelled in pass protection (few were better, and none were better after the bye week/OC change). The run blocking seemed adequate to poor, but how much of that was Jamal not hitting the line decisively?

I think a faster, more decisive running back is what we need... I don't think I'd make a single change to the group we have on O-line, barring a noticeable decline from one of the vets, which we could only assess in training camp. I think Brown and Chester should get every opportunity to take starting positions, but I don't think we desperately need to get rid of any of these guys.

It stuns me how much different Flynn looked this year. I'd say he was solid, not spectacular... but that's a huge upgrade over how he played the previous two. If we view Brown and Chester as guards, we could draft a center with an eye to taking Flynn's job in the near future, but not next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Skay, I don't follow your call for an O-line upgrade. Our O-line is vastly improved from a year ago, and has good young depth behind a group of established veterans. I can see asking for Brown and Chester to overtake Mulitalo and Vincent (or maybe Flynn), but there's no reason to go pay big money to a star OL...
    That's what I'm talking about -- exactly what you said. Along with grabbing a top-tier running back. And devising better blocking schemes for the running game; the pass pro seemed decent. I think if we do that, we'll do well in the AFC North again. We might as well gear up for BB's style, since it's unlikely to change that much.

GO RAVENS!!!

Tex, I noticed you still haven't answered my question.

One other thing I want to point out. Tex and a few others have harped on how the Colts had the #2 ranked secondary. That's a bit, well more than a bit, deceiving. That ranking is by yards and since the run defense was so bad many teams just ran the ball down their throats.

Quote Originally Posted by FHRaven View Post
    Tex, I noticed you still haven't answered my question.
    Tex doesn't really answer questions that require thought (unless it's a question that can be answered with "Boller sucks").

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    Or could it be their pass defense is so damn tough you have to run against them to have any chance to beat them. What teams quarterbacks had great games against the Colts passing wise this season. I didn't look it up, but I have a feeling not too many!

Only in your dreams. No NFL coach is going to pass much when he can rack up 5+ yards a carry and break off TD runs at will. See the last JAX game. With every post you display you know less and less about the game.

Still waiting for you to answer my question, Tex.

Quote Originally Posted by FHRaven View Post
    No NFL coach is going to pass much when he can rack up 5+ yards a carry and break off TD runs at will.
    Hmmmmm...so what you're saying is that Brian Billick (who, after a successful first half of running against Indy, decided to pass instead for the second half) isn't really an NFL coach? Cool...cause that's EXACTLY what I've been trying all day to teach these homers. But you just did it a LOT better than I was able to. THANKS!

GO RAVENS!!!

What the hell is a matter with some of you?

FH is right. The reason the Colts pass defense is so "strong" is because teams are running more than they are passing on them. There have only been 415 passing attempts against the Colts defense this season--second least in the NFL. The "best" passing defense in the NFL is supposedly the Oakland Raiders, with only 410 attempts.

Now, there have been 519 rushing attempts against the Colts (2nd most in the NFL) and 542 against Oakland (most in the NFL). See a pattern?

Same goes for when Boller lit up GB last year. GB supposedly had the best pass defense in the NFL, but the fact of the matter is that teams consistently ran on them either because (a) the could and/or (b) because they got an early lead. But, you don't see Tex giving Boller the benefit of the doubt like he is to McNair.

Hmmmmm...so what you're saying is that Brian Billick (who, after a successful first half of running against Indy, decided to pass instead for the second half) isn't really an NFL coach? Cool...cause that's EXACTLY what I've been trying all day to teach these homers. But you just did it a LOT better than I was able to. THANKS!
    I don't think anyone is arguing that Billick isn't a real NFL coach, he's just a guy that makes questionable calls from time to time. Running the clock out with a minute left and two timeouts is one of them.

As it turns out, Billick's gameplan against the Colts was pretty ridiculous. Jamal (for once) was running the ball very well against the Colts; yet, with the game STILL in reach, Billick decides to stop running the fucking ball against the worst run defense in the NFL. The Ravens have a good record when Jamal has over 20 attempts a game, but our HC thought that it would be more effective to continue on with a passing game that wasn't working all day.

I think most of us can agree that Billick's biggest problem is his inability to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    I don't think anyone is arguing that Billick isn't a real NFL coach, he's just a guy that makes questionable calls from time to time.
    I know. It was

And no, he's not "just a guy who makes questionable calls from time to time. He's a HEAD COACH in the NFL who gets paid a LOT OF MONEY and who CONSISTENTLY makes BONEHEAD CALLS, and almost NEVER takes responsibility for them. There's a difference between "just a guy" and BB.

GO RAVENS!!!

Consistently makes boneheaded calls?

What do you attribute to being 13-3?