Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One and done

One and done

We got the same result from the Boller/Wright combination not to long ago.

15 points we allowed to the Colts and yet we can't beat them. McNair lost this game for us.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Thumbs down Re: One and done

True. But we're stuck with him for at least one more season due to that ridiculous contract Oz negotiated.

McNair looks really old now.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: One and done

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    We got the same result from the Boller/Wright combination not to long ago.

15 points we allowed to the Colts and yet we can't beat them. McNair lost this game for us.

So what are suggesting? I think everyone recognizes McNair and the offense sucked. Do you believe with a different QB at the helm, we'd have been better off for this game?

Wink Re: One and done

Quote Originally Posted by copenhaggard View Post
    So what are suggesting? I think everyone recognizes McNair and the offense sucked. Do you believe with a different QB at the helm, we'd have been better off for this game?
    Bingo!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

As much as we all want to say McNair is done. We had a wonderful season. Walking around the stadium I was able to meet a lot of you on the board . You are great people. I think another year for Boller to sit and learn might make him a better QB. We still have a defense that can keep us in games. Let's all enjoy the past year. I know your hurt I'm crushed. I was really looking forward to the trip to Miami. However we are some of the best fans on the NFL. Hang on there and get really for next year.

To all of you be careful in all of your travels.

This is not the first time this year McNair struggled against a Cover 2. Aaron Wilson described him on the BC Show as a qb who drops back and looks for who is open, with a lot of improvising to make things work.

I guess if that's true, then that might be why an extremely conservative defense would give him problems.

I expect next year we will see a lot of conservative defenses & we will have to make them pay somehow.

Running game, perhaps?

Anyway McNair screwed this game for us but at least he was man enough to admit it afterward. I was much more angry at the end of the '02 season when we lost at Pissburgh to blow a shot at the postseason, and Jeff Blake blamed Randy Hymes for the terrible pick he threw in the endzone. Plus that Blake went after the game to play grab-ass with Bill Cowher.

Yeah, in retrospect that was a much more painful way to end the season. At least this way we still have the things we want to believe in - up and coming youngsters and a stout defense. And McNair had the decency not to point fingers.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    McNair lost this game for us.
    WOW, it took you until yesterday to figure that out. Nice post there scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Bingo!
    Okay, fair enough. Now who on our roster was going to give us a better chance than McNair?

This is not the first time this year McNair struggled against a Cover 2. Aaron Wilson described him on the BC Show as a qb who drops back and looks for who is open, with a lot of improvising to make things work.

I guess if that's true, then that might be why an extremely conservative defense would give him problems.

I expect next year we will see a lot of conservative defenses & we will have to make them pay somehow.
    You're going to need a QB with a CONSISTENT big arm. Not just one that can throw a ball downfield once in a while. Cover 2 opens up routes on the sidelines and seams and you need a QB that can get the ball down there, as well as the receivers to be there when the ball arrives.

You can only hope Demtrius Williams is ready to be more of a prominent WR next year, or we decide to take a shot at a Randy Moss, then find out which QB can chuck the ball downfield 4-5 times during the game. Because McNair, it ain't.

I completely agree Stinger, but we have a problem, who is going to do this for us? Boller has the tools to do it no doubt, but has he gotten over the struggles that plagued his career so far, and more importantly, since Billick is most likely staying here, is Billick going to trust Boller, and make a more explosive gameplan, say if he plans on Boller being the starter.

It's easy to say we can do this and that, and we'll win, but the problem is, we may not have the personnel to do so, especially at the QB position, as well as the coaching staff that trusts our QBs enough to open it up.

I completely agree Stinger, but we have a problem, who is going to do this for us? Boller has the tools to do it no doubt, but has he gotten over the struggles that plagued his career so far, and more importantly, since Billick is most likely staying here, is Billick going to trust Boller, and make a more explosive gameplan, say if he plans on Boller being the starter.
    I'm not yet in the camp that Boller is staying here. But if he is, I say yes. The proof was in the difference in playcalling vs. Cleveland.

It's not just the tools Boller has in himself, but it's the tools that are now around him that could be a bigger difference. When he started he was throwing to guys like Frank Sanders, Clarence Moore, Travis Taylor, and Kevin Johnson.

Now he and McNair have had guys like Mark Clayton, Demetrius Williams and Mason to throw to. In 2004, Boller didn't even have Travis Taylor or Todd Heap for most of the season, was missing Jamal for 4 games and still got to 9-7 and had a lot of us watching the 4pm Denver game.

And in both games he played this year, he wasn't sacked nearly as much because the OL played better this year. And when the OL protects the quarterback, more often than not the QB will succeed.

It's all guesswork right now, and for nothing anyway. It's unrealistic to think unless he retires that McNair isn't coming back, and won't be the starter. So until that bridge comes, it's not even worth the discussion and the stress that comes along with it. :)

I don't mind the Boller discussion, as long as it stays as a discussion, and we don't have both sides of the extreme jumping and playing the "holier-than-thou, you're stupid for thinking that" type of games that were on the YBR for awhile.
    Season over, guess I'll have to start drinking beer again...