Thread: Obama - Jindal

Obama - Jindal

During the pre-election debates, news organizations came out with "snap polls" to gauge public opinion. While the right wing noise machine shrilled about McCain and Palin "Knocking it out of the park" each debate, the polls always showed just the opposite. The election results were the final verdict in where that reality rested.

What a great way to demonstrate how wrong these right wing pundits were and how out of touch with the american public they were and how insignificant their own opinions really were and are in the grand scope.

Tonight's speech by Obama has again gone under the same scrutiny. What else would you expect from Sean Calamity but his worn high pitched shrill about spending evils and how Obama's speech was pretty to watch but lacked substance. The same old empty suit rethoric that loses more and more staying power after each of Obama's speeches.

let's look at tonight's snap polls...now I fully expect the volcanic bluster to be about how polls are only popularity contests and have no validity, unless of course, the poll one posts supports his or her own narrow worldview.

CBS: Seventy-nine percent of speech watchers approve of President Obama’s plans for dealing with the economic crisis. Before the speech, 62 percent approved.

CNN: 82% of speech-watchers say they support Obama's economic plans as outlined in the speech, with only 17% against. - an astonishing 85% said the speech made them feel more optimistic about the direction the country is headed in.

More significant though could be Bobby Jindal's post speech reaction speech. The Republicans are struggling to find a voice. McCain was unable to be the one...Palin floundered on the national stage...Michael Steele has been mostly odd in his responses and really not shown himself capable of being the voice.

So next man up Bobby Jindal. Was his speech written prior to Obama's? Because of my time in NOLA, I have followed a bit of his career and respected much in his approach but I will say that his time as the leadoff hitter tonight left him looking at a third strike. My opinion but to bring up Katrina as a way to reflect upon potential Obama failings was just really out of touch. I don't see how he can exorcise himself from this awkward speech. No snap polls on this fumble but here are the comments from wingnut friendly Fox Noise:

BRIT HUME: It read better than it sounded… this was not Bobby Jindal’s greatest rhetorical moment.

NINA EASTON: The delivery was not terrific.

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: Jindal didn’t have a chance.

JUAN WILLIAMS: Childish.

Not only did Obama continue to mature in his role as President but he just put America on his back and America likes the way that feels. But also the Republicans by continuing to fight this momentum and desperately hoping for Obama's failure and thus America's falilure, as seen through Jindal's comments, only continues to render the GOP more obsolete.

Just came across David Brooke's Comments on Jindal's odd comments:

DAVID BROOKS: Uh, not so well. You know, I think Bobby Jindal is a very promising politician, and I oppose the stimulus because I thought it was poorly drafted. But to come up at this moment in history with a stale "government is the problem," "we can't trust the federal government" - it's just a disaster for the Republican Party. The country is in a panic right now. They may not like the way the Democrats have passed the stimulus bill, but that idea that we're just gonna - that government is going to have no role, the federal government has no role in this, that - In a moment when only the federal government is actually big enough to do stuff, to just ignore all that and just say "government is the problem, corruption, earmarks, wasteful spending," it's just a form of nihilism. It's just not where the country is, it's not where the future of the country is. There's an intra-Republican debate. Some people say the Republican Party lost its way because they got too moderate. Some people say they got too weird or too conservative. He thinks they got too moderate, and so he's making that case. I think it's insane, and I just think it's a disaster for the party. I just think it's unfortunate right now.

Re: Obama - Jindal

Things are so bad that you have to look at what speech writers think?

As Greg pointed out in another thread, you're more worried about style over substance.

With Galen's slobbering love affair aside, both speeches were pretty lacking.

Obama, as always was a great speaker, but his problem was substance. He fumbled on two key points -- his nonsensical point about curing cancer and how he was going to pay for all of the plans. To say we will find a cure for cancer shows incredible arrogance and a lack of knowledge of what cancer actually is. Secondly, by simply saying he was going to eliminate tax breaks for the top 2% of wage earners and eliminate half the deficit by the end of is first term doesnt tell the whole story. Those numbers do not even come close to adding up. Raising taxes combined with the spending he is proposing lowers government revenue. The point he left out was clear -- he is and will raise all kind of taxes once this recession is done.

Brit Hume was dead on about Jindal -- great on paper, but lacked presentation. The response, no matter what party is in power, is always at a disadvantage and it didnt help anything that Jindal was rushed and seemed very nervous.

Galen might want to wait until people had time to digest what Obama said before he decalred the night a success.

That's what you get when you only listen to CNN and their desperate attempt to declare the night a win, having to go find speech writers instead of voters to give the thumbs up to Obama's words last night.

From the AP: "Stocks fell on Wednesday on disappointment President Barack Obama provided few new clues about how his administration would shore up the economy in a major speech before Congress."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Wall-S...-14464125.html

Maybe (and hopefully, for my 401k's sake) one of his cronies will come out and stop with these platitudes about the economy and actually say something that makes sense to Wall Street. Obama take note -- the trading day is not over so please make this right.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Galen might want to wait until people had time to digest what Obama said before he decalred the night a success.

That's what you get when you only listen to CNN and their desperate attempt to declare the night a win, having to go find speech writers instead of voters to give the thumbs up to Obama's words last night.

From the AP: "Stocks fell on Wednesday on disappointment President Barack Obama provided few new clues about how his administration would shore up the economy in a major speech before Congress."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Wall-S...-14464125.html

Maybe (and hopefully, for my 401k's sake) one of his cronies will come out and stop with these platitudes about the economy and actually say something that makes sense to Wall Street. Obama take note -- the trading day is not over so please make this right.
    I was waiting to see how long it would take for this post. Couldn't even make it an hour could you? You know you are sitting there watching the ticker HOPING for it to go down so you can hop back up on your crashing republican albatross and try to steer it to salvation one last time.

Do you really think that if Obama thought it was important enough to squeeze out another 2-3% gain today that he would neglect a message that could peform in that manner? Last night was much bigger than that and Obama has plenty of people he can parade out to the public eye and cheerlead an encouraging DOW pumping speech when he needs it.

The truth is last night, and I have tried to contain my enthusiasm for the potential of the next 8 years, gave us a glimpse of something larger than we, at least in my lifetime, have seen. It reminds me of watching Tiger Woods sink that 20 foot putt on the 18th hole years ago to win one of his U.S. Amateur Championships. You knew something larger than life was in that putt and was in the mettle that it took to make that putt.

I saw in Boehner's eyes, Mccain's eyes and even Pelosi's and Biden's. These common folk know they were and are amongst something bigger than themselves. Obama has the ability to not only be a great politician but has the potential to redefine what it is to be a politician.

If you didn't see that last night, you were too concerned about bookmarking your favorite stock ticker so that you could comment quickly on today's adjustment.

Obama juxtaposed to Jindal just made it even clearer to me and most others including many on the right. Obama is a giant when it comes to politics and you can continue with the style over substance garbage and hourly updates on the DOW as a measurement of his presidency but that is really looking small these days but then again the republican corner is becoming smaller and smaller with each passing day.

Oy. Yadda yadda yadda.

Lots of blather, just like Obama's speech.

"Hope for the future" doesnt fix my 401k. I dont care who it is in office, I just want the problem fixed.

Just because you got an Obama hard-on last night doesnt mean the rest of the country was buying it. YOU were the one salavating by the computer, having post that nonsense about how all these speech writers loved it and not giving full quotes to the Fox crew. You may want to edit your post about what they said about Obama since you seem to high on thier opinions -- again, style over substance.

No matter the number of posts that laud Obama and his potential, the tingling you get in your leg, etc changes the facts of reality -- Wall Street aint buying it. Until he understands that LESS government in the ecomnomy is the way to go, we will see this mess continue.

Oh, and by the way, looks like you were wrong about yet another thing economic. CLINTON, not Bush, started bank deregulation:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090225/D96IFSC80.html

And now one of his own is slamming his policies:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/19303.html

But I am sure, you will now write it off as him being racist, right?

These were AP's words, not mine: "Stocks fell on Wednesday on disappointment President Barack Obama provided few new clues about how his administration would shore up the economy in a major speech before Congress."

Seems to me your problem is with the American Public, not with me.

Just because you got an Obama hard-on last night
    I got more than a hard on but don't tell Trap, he might get on my case about killing millions of babies in a single stroke.

These were AP's words, not mine: "Stocks fell on Wednesday on disappointment President Barack Obama provided few new clues about how his administration would shore up the economy in a major speech before Congress."

Seems to me your problem is with the American Public, not with me.
    You do realize that it is Wednesday today, right? Maybe you shoould wait until Wednesday is actually over. I would hate to see the DOW rebound and turn green on you.

One of the first signs of becoming unhinged is losing one's orientation to time and space.

I know you are running out lines to bash Obama. It appears that in your wingnut talking points tool box only remains "style over substance" and "my 401k is crashing! because Obama is not wearing his Wall Street cheerleader outfit". Oh how I miss the days of "paling around with terrorists" and "not being a true american", "studying under communists".

Poor Galen.

Not once in that response do you even muster a challange to any facts or assertions I made. Yes, today is Wednesday and yes, the market is still down. Not that's any giant mystery given the speech he pimped last night.

I hope the market does rebound. That means millions fo working Americans, including myself, can start rebuilding their retirement accounts.

And instead of answers, he gave platitudes such as "every kid will go to college" (ask former Gov. Glendenning how that went over in the MD Legislature) and a "cure for cancer".

And I really hate to bust the bubble that is your preconceived notions of me, but when the day is over and me and The Girlfriend (tm) are relaxing with a nice glass of wine, I am quite content that history is on my side and I am doing the right thing, even if my Government is not.

Kudos to the Treasury ....

See what happens when you give details?

Details of the Assitance Program have been released and (gasp!) the market liked what it heard. Banks are starting to use their funds as intended and the first round of stress tests are about to begin.

Amazing how that works, isnt it.

Obama is hopfully noticing this for the next time he wants to deliver a speech rooted in economic terms.