Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If we cut McNair

Many have stated today to cut Steve McNair. If we do get rid of him do we go back to Boller or do go get another QB ?

Last edited by Sports Steve; 01-14-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Re: If we cut McNair

I dont think there's any chance we cut him. After a 13-3 season, he'll be back.

I think he's basically washed up, but I think he'll start next season. Hopefully there will atleast be an open competition.

Matt Schuab is always an option at some point. Or, we can hope that Kyle gets his head straight.

3. Re: If we cut McNair

cutting mcniar is the dumbest thing you could ever possibly think about doing. youre just speaking out of anger. he turned a 6-10 team into a 13-3 team.

4. Re: If we cut McNair

Ravens were a much better team with McNair. I do hope the Ravens do get an offensive coordinator.

We are not cutting McNair. Let's get real, here.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

he turned a 6-10 team into a 13-3 team.

Ok i guess Pryce, Ngata, Landry and Billick taking over the playcalling didn't ahve anything to do with it.

Wink Re: If we cut McNair

Based on what I read on some previous posts, it doesn't make much economic sense to cut him until after next season, when the cap hit could be spread over a couple seasons. Or certainly after the 2008 season, when he'd be 36 going on 50.

Assuming he's kept, I'd like to see him compete with Boller, then spend time in reserve if Boller were to falter. Also perhaps to bring Olson along. We need to see what Boller can do for 2008 and beyond, and/or Olson, or if we should spend another high draft pick to develop another QB.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

If we cut McNair then Ozzie would have lost his brain. He's not perfect, anyone who thought he was is deluded. But to throw him under the bus in this manner isn't far short of deplorable.

I'm as unhappy with McNair as anyone is, that 2nd INT was just a dreadful throw, but to want to cut a QB who brought composure in the pocket, brought just general confidence to the team, someone the D really trusted is just complete lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_steelers View Post
    Ravens were a much better team with McNair. I do hope the Ravens do get an offensive coordinator.
    We have a cobra coiled up and ready to strike in the basement of the complex. The cobra's name is Neuheisel, and it is just waiting to be let out.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-colt View Post
    cutting mcniar is the dumbest thing you could ever possibly think about doing. youre just speaking out of anger. he turned a 6-10 team into a 13-3 team.

No that was our D that did that. No stat shows he did anything special. Our D came back this year. Scott and Price were awsome
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

I just watched the game on TiVo and McNair looked even worse than he did live. He was just horrible.

That said, cutting him would be counter productive. The economics of it make no sense.

But if he's going to be kept and remain the starter they'll need to work on a super-duper offense scheme where the QB never has to thrown more than 25 yds down the field.

1. Cutting McNair is ridiculous talk.
    2. Cutting McNair won't happen.
    3. We are just heartbroken today and are over-reacting

Here are some stats for you to chew on. Since Billick took over the offense:

- 8th ranked offense in the league – 341 ypg (ahead of Bengals, Pats, Packers)
    - 7th in the league in ppg – 24
    - 5th in the league in passing ypg – 247
    - 21st in the league in rushing ypg – 107
    - 1st in the league in time of possession – almost 34 min per game

Ravens also shattered the franchise record for sacks allowed (17). The previous record was 35. That is McNair's presence in the pocket to minimize negative plays.

And, as mentioned, he has the confidence of the defense, offensive line and the rest of the team. Most importantly, the chemistry in the locker room is positive and everyone believes in each other. One more year learning the offense will make a big difference. The reason the defense came back this year is because they had confidence in the offense, they fed off the offense and they were rested. McNair had a lot to do with the resurgence.

Maybe this makes everyone a little less arrogant and a little more hungry. The window of opportunity for this group is closed after 2007 as the old timers will be moving on by 2008.

McNair will be the QB next year and the Ravens will be competitive if they stay healthy. Very tough schedule though, and they will earn some frequent flyer miles with 3 west coast trips. Our boys will have to earn it next year. Regardless, McNair will be back and will be better than this year.