Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stovers gone!

Re: Stovers gone!

No, it really took me by surprise the way he was just so matter of fact about it, after words my wife and I could not believe it. I think he said it because it was a old helmet that was not signed, the Lady at the table said have you been holding in to this this whole time.I think that may have sparked the coment since he knows that he was the only one left that can sign it.
    No BS here just wanted to pass it along to other fans. Honestly him leaving does not surprise me, I toothought he was going to retire and take Gene Upshaw's place for the players association. Like I said just wanted to pass it on.
    Rooting for the RAVENS in section 552. In Oz I trust.

His leaving is a Big Mistake! The guy is Money inside the 40, especially during pressure situations. How many real Money kickers are there out there. I would use an extra roster spot to get a deep kicker on-board, one who could Consistently get the ball into the endzone.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Thanks for the memories stover, but we need cap room for ray. You cant justify 2 Ks at this point.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    sad to see him go, especially since I can't see who is an upgrade over him.
    Anyone that can kick farther than 30 yards.

Seriously, I love the guy and all. But at this point he's becoming more of a liability than a help. He's got dramatically diminished accuracy outside 40 yards, and we're carrying two Ks. The worst part might be that by hanging onto him for so long, we're avoiding finding his replacement.

Thanks much for the memories, Matt...you'll always be one of my favorite Ravens. But it's time to move on.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Thanks for the years of exceptional service Matt! You could clearly see this season especially that he's not the kicker he once was. So who's gonna fill those boots?! Hauschka?

Stover no longer has the leg. Why shouldn't the Ravens try and upgrade, why is that an untouchable position? It's clear he is not someone that can be counted on outside the 40, and keep in mind a 40 YD FG is a line of scrimmage of the 23! Almost to the red zone! People say he is money, but not being ABLE to kick a field goal from the opponent' LOS of the 24 - 35 is a huge disadvantage.

Some stats:

1. Last year Stover was 5-9, 55%, from the 40-49. That stinks. The top 10 in the league averaged about 80%. That's almost half the teams in the league are 80% or better, and 3 guys were perfect and two more over 90%.
    2. 15 kickers had more kicks 40-49 than Stover. Think about how many times we pooch-kicked from inside the opponent 40 because we had a kicker with no leg.
    3. The league average outside the 50 is 45% ! Now the coaches are picking their times to do so, but that isn't even a kick on the radar for Stover.

Stover has had a great career with us, but he hurts us in scoring now, and he costs us a roster spot when we need to carry a second kicker. I don't know why everyone thinks there is no one in the world that can replace him, that's simply a ludicrous thought. If we look to just UDFAs to replace him, like we have the last 5 years, sure that's true; but go sign or draft a kicker, it's a pretty important position on special teams. At this stage there are people that can help this team more than Stover in 2009.

My .02.

Another Ravens Legend to the scrap heap. :grbac:

Although having an additional roster spot open will be a good thing.

Wish we'd kept Wade Richey.

Hauschka has a good leg, he boomed a couple long ones this year. His first attempt was good from 50+ yards. His second missed from about that distance, but it was certainly long enough.

I hope they bring him back.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I think the Ravens are trying to nudge Matt into retirement by not resigning him. It is a delicate situation, but I am on board with replacing him. Better a year too soon than too late. He is a Hall of Famer, and one of the great kickers of all time. Thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    Hauschka has a good leg, he boomed a couple long ones this year. His first attempt was good from 50+ yards. His second missed from about that distance, but it was certainly long enough.
    But how is he when the Pressure is ON?! We know what Stovepipe is all about, and that is nailing it when the team needs him the most. Will Hauschka with his booming leg, be compared (in a figurative sense) to a certain unnamed QB who could wing it through the goal posts from 50 yds out and from the kneeling position?
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

No one plays forever, and Matt's time maybe coming to a close. How many times, when another Ravens drive would stall, did we say "well at least we got three" before Matt was even on the field? He was almost automatic. We'll miss him surely, but time marches on.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

Quote Originally Posted by tjameson52 View Post
    Maybe the most impressive thing about Stover's tenure with the Ravens is the fact that he's ROH-bound, and I don't even think it's debatable.

That's a tough feat to accomplish for a kicker.
    I'd add that his jersey number should be retired - a first for the Ravens.