Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

OL & Ngata discussion

I didn't get to see the game and would like to hear opinions on Ngata and the OL last night.

Preston's take on the OL is probably on the mark:
    After a week of criticism, the Ravens' offensive line turned in a solid performance against the Redskins. There doesn't need to be judgment every week because the verdict is virtually in on this group.

When the Ravens play against a team that has a really good defensive line, they'll struggle and probably lose. Otherwise, they'll be competitive. The Ravens, though, won't wait for this unit to self-destruct like last season when they waited until late in the season before starting some young players. Second-year tackle Adam Terry and guard-center Jason Brown will play if center Mike Flynn, right guard Keydrick Vincent and right tackle Tony Pashos struggle.

There are some in the organization who believe Brown will replace Flynn or Vincent before the season is over.

As far as Pashos, Mikey says:
    Defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, the team's top draft pick out of Oregon, the youngster has some work to do. He relies too much on power and allows offensive linemen to get into his body. He is slow and seldom penetrates. The potential is there, but this might be more of a project than the Ravens bargained for when they selected Ngata with the 12th overall pick. ...

Wasn't sure how to post a link on the new board, and I'm in a hurry. Preston does actually make some sense today in the Fishwrap.

Happy long weekend!

Re: OL & Ngata discussion

Defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, the team's top draft pick out of Oregon, the youngster has some work to do. He relies too much on power and allows offensive linemen to get into his body. He is slow and seldom penetrates. The potential is there, but this might be more of a project than the Ravens bargained for when they selected Ngata with the 12th overall pick. ...
    If he thinks that's true then he's an idiot and never talked to any scouts about the draft because that laziness with his technique was the major criticism of Ngata, got all the power and speed needed but he doesn't always apply the technique to let that talent show.

With regards the OL, well we'll see straight up how they handle good DLs because they're gonna get a stern test week one at Tampa Bay, Ogden should take out Rice but someone's gotta block Booger McFarland and even Chris Hovan had an improved year last year for the Bucs.

Then at the other end, Greg 'The Crane' Spires is a good test for whether Pashos is adequate in anyway shape or form, Spires is one of the very best DEs in the league in terms of run stopping and containment but doesn't generate much pass rush. Consequently Pashos is gonna have to show his game is what it's quoted as by not allowing any rush from Spires on first and second downs and not allowing Spires to disrupt the run game too much on the right. On passing situations though Dewayne White will come in for Spires though and he'll probably tear Pashos to shreds, but never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay
    Second-year tackle Adam Terry and guard-center Jason Brown will play if center Mike Flynn, right guard Keydrick Vincent and right tackle Tony Pashos struggle.

There are some in the organization who believe Brown will replace Flynn or Vincent before the season is over.[/B]
    And oh, how they'll struggle. Honestly, why didn't they just play Terry at RT in the preseason, put Brown at center and Flynn at guard? Terry can't be any worse than Pashos, and Brown can't be any worse than Flynn at center.

Vincent is absolutely terrible. Awful.

I'm intrigued also as to why they didn't play Terry at RT if the rumours of them putting him at RT if Pashos struggles are true. Fact is he's not an RT and doesn't have the skill set for it and I've always doubted the rumours he'll replace Pashos at RT so that'd be my explanation for him not being given reps at RT. But if that is the plan to have him at RT if Pashos struggles then it's senseless not to give him the reps, given that the only other time he's played RT was when Pashos got hurt in a game or two last year.

If that's the plan he needs the reps, but I still don't see him being used at RT because he simply doesn't have the skill set.

I payed close attention to Ngata. He did take on blockers and in many situations allowed Bart, Mike Smith and other pursue the ball carrier untouched. That is exactlay what I believe we need. Sure he is adjusting to the speeed of the game, along with the fact that he has missed many practices and OTA's with the knee and the NCAA rule. The steel in the FA signings clearly is Justin Bannan. This guy is sneaky quick with decent technique. Great rotation guy. Kemo was big, not athletic. All of our lineman are athletic an versitile this year.